Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
215 user(s) are online (106 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 215

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 »

Odd Hood Ornament Similar to Cormorant
Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
I've been speaking with the owner of this odd ornament that is clearly not Packard but also does not look like any aftermarket ornament I've ever seen. It's almost Art-Deco in appearance. The body looks like those of the late '40s to '52 but is lying down as part of the base and the wings are very sharp-edged. Does anyone here know what it might be?

Attach file:

jpeg  (127.78 KB)
60923_5ad7ddfb52469.jpeg 978X1154 px

Posted on: 2018/4/18 18:52
 Top  Print   

Re: Odd Hood Ornament Similar to Cormorant
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Difficult to comment without a photo

Posted on: 2018/4/18 18:59
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
Oops! Photo added.

Posted on: 2018/4/18 19:08
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
Are the wings mounted backwards?

Posted on: 2018/4/18 20:15
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
I was wondering that too so I'll ask the owner if she can reverse them and send another photo. She said that it was in with her late grandfather's items, who was a huge Packard fan and even owned a coupe many years ago but she didn't know anything about them herself as to what they were.

Posted on: 2018/4/18 21:06
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
The owner took off the wings to try to reverse them but discovered that they are keyed to install only in one directly so they are not reversible.

Attach file:

jpeg  (131.81 KB)
60923_5ad8bbfeceaf5.jpeg 1669X1144 px

Posted on: 2018/4/19 10:56
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Leeedy
See User information
Quote:

PackardDon wrote:
I've been speaking with the owner of this odd ornament that is clearly not Packard but also does not look like any aftermarket ornament I've ever seen. It's almost Art-Deco in appearance. The body looks like those of the late '40s to '52 but is lying down as part of the base and the wings are very sharp-edged. Does anyone here know what it might be?

There were lots and lots and lots of aftermarket hood ornaments that imitated the Packard bird ornament. These knock-off aftermarket ornaments were made for decades. Some had cast bodies with sheet metal wings. Some had fully cast designs. Others had cast bodies with plastic wings-some of which went as far as to have a bulb inside to illuminate the wings. Most were universal-fit, but some were made for cars... some were made for motorcycles and some were made for bicycles. And there were several varieties of these sub-catefgories of the sub-category! So anything is imaginable.

Probably the most prolific of the manufacturers of these ornaments (all of them) was a company called Gem Manufacturing out of Illinois. No idea if they are still in business. I have several of their old catalogues. Of course you can also find knock-off Packard ornaments in J.C. Whitney, Western Auto and Pep Boys catalogues, as well as other retail outlets that sold automotive items.

Try turning the ornament over and take a good, clear photo of the underside. There ought to be a maker's logo under the bird.

Posted on: 2018/4/19 17:01
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
Great info which, of course, I already knew in general (some of the specifics were new to me) but this particular one caught my attention due to its Art-Deco look and laying-down position of the bird so I was thinking that it might have been another odd Earle C. Anthony custom piece. However, I was just about to post that one nearly identical but with illuminated plastic wings has surfaced so I agree that this is just another of the quasi-knock-offs.

Attach file:

jpeg  (108.26 KB)
60923_5ad91462efcc7.jpeg 891X1269 px

Posted on: 2018/4/19 17:10
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Leeedy
See User information
Quote:

PackardDon wrote:
Great info which, of course, I already knew in general (some of the specifics were new to me) but this particular one caught my attention due to its Art-Deco look and laying-down position of the bird so I was thinking that it might have been another odd Earle C. Anthony custom piece. However, I was just about to post that one nearly identical but with illuminated plastic wings has surfaced so I agree that this is just another of the quasi-knock-offs.

Like I said... a knock-off with plastic wings that were illuminated. Probably made by Gem. They made a bunch of these. Wings came in red, pink, green, yellow, blue and possibly other colors.

This would certainly not be an Earle C. Anthony ornament. And there were two categories of ECA radiator/hood ornaments:
1.) Designed for retail sales to Packard customers... Examples of this would have included a cast peacock and the combination cast & tubular or wire bird with flowing wings that were a radio antenna.

2.) Designed/intended for ECA staff members only and not sold to general public...Example (comical) would be a cow standing on its own udder with a slogan around the base saying "So you think you've got troubles?" Dreamed up by EC himself. I have one of these ornaments.

Posted on: 2018/4/19 17:36
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
I looked it up and see that Gem Manufacturing is still around! I used to have one of their Bugler Swans that I bought in the '60s or early '70s from J.C. Whitney and used it on my 1940 Packard as it was safer than parking it unattended with its Flying Lady ornament!

Posted on: 2018/4/19 17:38
 Top  Print   

(1) 2 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved