Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
183 user(s) are online (107 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 182

todd landis, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2) 3 »

Re: Painting the engine
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

antiquecarman
See User information
Here is the engine I am about to clean and paint.Anything that anyone wants to point out or suggest is appreciated!
I think you guys know your Packard stuff.

Attach file:

jpg  (28.39 KB)
5274_51b083eb70515.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (28.03 KB)
5274_51b0840021ed4.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (30.36 KB)
5274_51b084166685f.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (26.56 KB)
5274_51b08426463b0.jpg 640X480 px

Posted on: 2013/6/6 7:44
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Thanks for the photos. I hope you have the missing parts for the oil cooler and filter assembly, with the exception of the oil filter which is available as a repro, these parts are a 1-year only affair and not too easy to come by. If you decide to work around it, whatever you do DON'T put a bypass filter in place of the original full-flow oiling system filter or you'll starve the bearings for oil - better to just loop the system if you must with large diameter fittings and do without a filter and cooler (like the 33 and prior engines), just change the oil frequently. Also, don't be tempted to block off the water flow to the cooler with a blank plate between it and the water jacket, you'll also block the water flow to the rear water passages. If you don't fully understand how this system works, PM me and we can discuss.

Looking forward to more pictures are you progress with the engine detailing.

The large screws retaining the valve covers should be nickel-plated (all the underhood plated hardware was nickel, NOT chrome) and not painted over. The generator scupper should be black, not plated. And the ignition wires should be silver/gray, not black or multicolor, and plug connections should be via eyelets and thumbscrews (photo attached if I can find it).

Attach file:

jpg  (32.48 KB)
177_51b0952b0e8fd.jpg 1280X831 px

jpg  (67.88 KB)
177_51b095c4de7de.jpg 869X1280 px

Posted on: 2013/6/6 8:53
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
Quote:
"... of the original full-flow oiling system filter... "

I'm not familiar with this particular engine so i don;t really know. But just to clarify and based on the era of which this engine was designed did u mean to say 'original by-pass' instead of "original full-flow"????

Posted on: 2013/6/6 9:00
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=7245
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
No, FULL-FLOW on all senior engines from 34 thru 39 via a Purolater L-6 filter (1934 only) and L-8 thereafter. Location of the oil cooler was changed on the Eights after 1934 to the lower water inlet.

Posted on: 2013/6/6 9:02
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Thomas Wilcox
See User information
Quote:

Owen_Dyneto wrote:

The large screws retaining the valve covers should be nickel-plated (all the underhood plated hardware was nickel, NOT chrome) and not painted over.

Actually, some of the hardware is white cadmium. For example, the water pump nuts. I can get a full list if interested.

Quote:

plug connections should be via eyelets and thumbscrews (photo attached if I can find it).

Unless the car has a radio. Then they should be resistive connectors. I am working on a replica of these.

Cheers,

Tom

Posted on: 2013/6/6 11:18
--
Thomas Wilcox
34 Roadster, [url=https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/r
 Top  Print   

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

antiquecarman
See User information
Yes I do have all the parts I just removed them to clean and detail the engine while the manifolds were being porcelain coated.
Thanks for every ones input!

Posted on: 2013/6/6 12:34
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
RogerDetroit, thanks for reminding me about the water pump retaining nuts, cadmium for sure. I should have said MOST of the underhood plated hardware in nickel.

I'm looking forward to meeting you at Pontiac and seeing your Packards.

Posted on: 2013/6/6 12:54
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
Paul,

It's been a looong time coming but when it comes to the Packard Owner's Registry here on PackardInfo I'm very patient. And it's not just your '30 726 Standard Eight Sedan that's included but your '31 Standard Eight Convertible Sedan too! Isn't there something about patience being a virtue?

Posted on: 2014/10/10 0:59
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Michael C Wauhop
See User information
Boy that engine looks pretty clean to me.

Posted on: 2014/10/10 6:24
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Dell
See User information
P. I. judging book states, valve covers black till 33-34 on engine color. acorns nuts chrome on head-rest should be cad plated unless its a 12, if 12 all chrome except pan bolts. the crankcase should not be painted, just natural aluminum finishes. don't have my book in front of me at this time as i am on vacation. can look up more info when i get home if you wish. dell

Posted on: 2014/10/10 17:29

35-1200 touring sedan
42-110 convertible coupe
48-2293 station sedan
 Top  Print   

« 1 (2) 3 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved