Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
166 user(s) are online (120 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 165

bkazmer, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2) 3 4 »

Re: Put tubes in them tires?
Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
I only wanted to do these once, and not have to worry about them for a long....long time. So I primed them with two coats of epoxy DTM primer (same as I used on the car). Then are a scotch brite pad scuffing and wipedown, I then sprayed them with PPG Single Stage Urethane. I basically painted the wheels like the car with the color to match. If the outside of your wheels are already painted, and you are just asking about the inside, then I would imagine POR-15 or similar paint would be good, and help to ward off rust and smooth out any pits. Just make sure it goes on evenly so you don't have any wheel out of balance issues. So spraying would be better than hand brushing in that regards. Just me $.02.

Frankly, any good quality direct to metal primer/paint would be than what was used or not used by the factory. If you need something quick and easy, then even Rustoleum Rusty metal primer/paint would work.

Posted on: 2014/7/14 11:36
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

55PackardGuy
See User information
Big Kev,

Thanks a lot for the tips. Frankly, I've never seen what the bead seating surface looks like. The exterior of the wheels have been sloppily (looks like they used a brush) with the color that was used on the car over the bikini blue original. You can still see the original paint near the rim, and they probably didn't even take off the dog dish hub caps. Obviously an afterthought. "Whoops, we missed those!" The rest of the paint job is quite good.

It'd be best to do the whole wheel as you suggest, but that wouldn't be feasible now as the car will be repainted in original color eventually, and I'll do them then. Thanks again for the quick reply.

Posted on: 2014/7/14 12:14
Guy

[b]Not an Expert[/
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JD in KC
See User information
I used two coats of POR-15 to seal my wheel rims after having the wheels blasted. I ended up with a very smooth finish and have had no problems at all with the tubeless radials (Diamond Back) holding air.

Posted on: 2014/7/15 9:07
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

55PackardGuy
See User information
JD and All,

Keeping my old tires is no longer an issue. When I asked the mechanic about sealing the beads or putting in tubes he said the tires were badly cracked on the inside wall and unsafe. Two years ago when I had it in for brakes the first time, he said the tires looked good enough. Two years sitting outside on the cold, cold ground and being exposed to 20 below temps might have quite a lot to do with the additional cracking. Plus a few hundred miles to really loosen 'em up in between winters.

Goes to show how rapidly old tires can get worse. They certainly don't get any better with time and mileage.

So, JD, how do you like them Diamond Back tires?

I would like to stick with the L78 15 equivalent, 4 ply bias (NOT belted) and wide whites.

Any suggestions, anyone? If you don't want to be a spokesperson for a brand on the forum, please PM me.

Thanks,

Posted on: 2014/7/21 10:44
Guy

[b]Not an Expert[/
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JD in KC
See User information
Quote:

55PackardGuy wrote:

So, JD, how do you like them Diamond Back tires?

Overall I'm very pleased with them.

Pros:

The car no longer follows every tiny imperfection in the road as was the case with the old bias ply tires the car came with. I can't honestly say that meandering Packard was caused by the bias ply or if the tires were just too old or if the radials are masking some other problem but it now steers much better at speed.

The white walls are now a few years old and have never yellowed.

I get a lot of compliments. And I do think they look good on the car (see cons, below).

Cons:

The car is difficult to steer when stopped or barely moving (like maneuvering into the too-narrow garage door). You really appreciate the large diameter steering wheel.

The tires (although they look good) do not look 'correct' for a 1950 Packard Custom. Most of the people at the gatherings I take the Packard to frankly wouldn't know the difference but with a 1949 Custom (with bias ply wide whites) sitting next to the 1950 in my garage the different stance and appearance is apparent. I understand there are now radials that better mimic the look of the bias ply but I haven't seen them in person.

Attach file:

jpg  (76.85 KB)
188_53cd706561a7e.jpg 720X540 px

Posted on: 2014/7/21 14:50
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

55PackardGuy
See User information
I think you're right about the "meandering" of bias ply tires. I find it especially noticeable on streets, which around here have terrible grooves and potholes. On the road at speed, they seem better. That may be an advantage of power steering, besides the advantage in turning at low or no speed.

Agree totally on the "stance" idea, too. The car just sits up so nicely on those stiff sidewalls.

I am looking for whitewalls that are just about the width of yours, which the car has on now.

How much for a set like yours?

And for everyone with firsthand experience, what's the best 4-ply (NON-belted) bias ply tire you have had on your car?

Posted on: 2014/7/21 15:21
Guy

[b]Not an Expert[/
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Sloride75
See User information
I can't offer any comparisons, as these are the only bias ply tires I've ever driven on. However, I do love how these Coker Classics look on my car. According to their website, they have a "tread life warranty". Meaning they are warranted for as long as there is still tread. Mine were put on the car right before it was put away, over 10 years ago. There is no sign of cracking.

Attach file:

jpg  (89.49 KB)
19454_53cd8a67e9659.jpg 1280X700 px

Posted on: 2014/7/21 16:44
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Steve
See User information
I have four cars and have 5 Coker Classics on each car with the spare Tires too. the 4 sets of tires are 5 to 9 years old, never a failure, all are white walls which are still brilliant white no yellowing, because of low mileage I only have the tires rotated every two years. My cars are garaged and I do limit the amount of time the tires are exposed to the sun. I run 24 to 28 pounds of air pressure depending on the car and ride. The tires do have a tendency to track on the roadway following the grooves cut for water dissipation, etc., but I live with it, and don't find the constant correcting left and right a deal breaker. Some roads are better than others. I keep the speeds around 55 to 65 and keep right. I live in the Vancouver, WA area and most of the speed limits are 55 to 70. hope this helps.

Steve

Posted on: 2014/7/21 17:12
Steve
Old cars are my passion

1951 Packard 200
1953 Packard Clipper Custom Touring Sedan
1955 Dodge Custom Royal Lancer Tri-tone
1966 Rambler Classic 770 Convertible
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

55PackardGuy
See User information
Packard53

Are these 4-ply regular bias tires (without belts)?

Posted on: 2014/7/21 19:56
Guy

[b]Not an Expert[/
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Steve
See User information
Belts? These are not radials. In the current Coker Classic Tires 2014 catalog the tires are described as: Construction, 4 ply poly. Page 32. There are 23 different sizes listed with white walls from 1 inch to 4-7/16 wide. You can see the catalog on line at: cokertire.com .
Hope this helps.

Steve

Posted on: 2014/7/21 20:33
Steve
Old cars are my passion

1951 Packard 200
1953 Packard Clipper Custom Touring Sedan
1955 Dodge Custom Royal Lancer Tri-tone
1966 Rambler Classic 770 Convertible
 Top  Print   

« 1 (2) 3 4 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved