Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
157 user(s) are online (94 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 155

Marvin, packardbill, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 ... 10 11 12 (13) 14 15 16 ... 24 »

Re: Ken's 1937 115C Touring Sedan
Home away from home
Home away from home

Ken_P
See User information
Brought it home today. Backflushed with a garden hose, it was clean, or at least I couldn't get any crud out. I really don't think he touched it. Close call though. I knew it was a non-pressurized system but didn't think about the testing consequences.

Posted on: 2011/8/8 19:44
1937 120 1092 - Original survivor for driving and continued preservation.
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=16514&forum=10

1937 115 1082 - Total basket case, partial restoration, sold Hershey 2015
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?start=0&topic_id=6550&order=ASC&status=&mode=0
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Ken_P
See User information
Today saw quite the adventure in the shop. I wanted to pull my water distribution tube. I had the requisite piece of all-thread with a bend in the end, and I expected 20 minutes to get it out, a brass tube, and a little bit of cleaning. The first picture shows what I ended up with 4 hours later. Mine is steel. An informed source tells me that at some time in my car's history, the original tube was probably replaced with a galvanized steel replacement. So, I'm looking for a brass one!

Thanks to a Packarding friend, I'm going to be calling on a rebuilt 115c engine in Wisconsin. I could actually pick it up on the way to Idaho next weekend, so if the price is right, I'll probably bite. I'll need to decide what the right price is though! Thoughts?

I also was able to bleed the brakes tonight. My most wonderful wife helped me. It helped that I put the seats back in the car this weekend! All I need to do to drive the car is rig up temp ignition wiring, cooling, and clutch linkage. I'm hoping to give my parents, sister, et al rides in the Packard once it gets to Idaho. It will be stored for the next three years. I hope to find someone to do the bodywork while I'm out to sea, and I'll probably do little odds and ends when I have some leave time, but I don't expect a lot to happen.

As always, thanks for reading.

Attach file:

jpg  (126.70 KB)
2964_4e41f612608aa.jpg 1280X765 px

jpg  (114.87 KB)
2964_4e41f61ba5534.jpg 1280X765 px

Posted on: 2011/8/9 22:08
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=16514&forum=10

https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?start=0&topic_id=6550&order=ASC&status=&mode=0
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
Ken, have a safe and enjoyable cruise. See you around ...

(o{}o)

Posted on: 2011/8/9 22:23
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
Quote:
Ken P wrote:.....Thanks to a Packarding friend, I'm going to be calling on a rebuilt 115c engine in Wisconsin. I could actually pick it up on the way to Idaho next weekend, so if the price is right, I'll probably bite. I'll need to decide what the right price is though! Thoughts?.....

.....I also was able to bleed the brakes tonight. My most wonderful wife helped me. It helped that I put the seats back in the car this weekend!.....

......It will be stored for the next three years. I hope to find someone to do the bodywork while I'm out to sea, and I'll probably do little odds and ends when I have some leave time, but I don't expect a lot to happen.....
Ken,

Read your Blog again, sorry make that started reading your Blog again, and ended up clicking through stopping and going deeper when something caught my attention. Upshot is, your progress over the last 6 months, your documenting of it and the problems you've encountered and overcome are to be commended. Also like to thank your wife for her help from time to time, and with a smile on her face too!

Regarding the opportunity to pick up a rebuilt engine. I'd say go for it, especially as you have a crack in your block. Suppose questions are, how recent was the rebuild and how extensive was it? Price? Don't really know, the Pacific Ocean factor makes that difficult. But if it checks out as being OK, remember a full rebuild would cost you at least $2K.

And speaking of the Pacific Ocean factor and Australia and Sydney in particular if, by any chance your sea duty brings you here drop in and say hello at Wade's Workshop. If you give us enough warning I'm pretty sure we can round up some Packards(including '37's) and Packard people to welcome you down-under.

EDIT - Where in Idaho will your '37 be? I'm curious because my '41 120 Coupe was at Middleton, near Boise, from 1961 to 2007.

Posted on: 2011/8/10 3:08
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Guscha
See User information
Quote:
... Also like to thank your wife for her help from time to time, and with a smile of her face too!

Aha, listen to this! That figures. Mal never hesitates to dance attendance to nice girls. But wait, Ken will wring your neck around your Pacific Ocean factor.

Posted on: 2011/8/10 10:43
The story of ZIS-110, ZIS-115, ZIL-111 & Chaika GAZ-13 on www.guscha.de
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Ken_P
See User information
Quote:

Ozstatman wrote:

And speaking of the Pacific Ocean factor and Australia and Sydney in particular if, by any chance your sea duty brings you here drop in and say hello at Wade's Workshop. If you give us enough warning I'm pretty sure we can round up some Packards(including '37's) and Packard people to welcome you down-under.

EDIT - Where in Idaho will your '37 be? I'm curious because my '41 120 Coupe was at Middleton, near Boise, from 1961 to 2007.

Mal, it's doubtful that I'll pull into Sydney, but if I do, I'll look you up for sure. My wife and I might attempt a vacation in Aussie while we're stationed in Hawaii, so I'll let you know if we head down that way. I think she would like a ride in a shiny Packard!

My car will be at my family's ranch in Viola, Idaho. It's a little town about six hours north of Boise.

Gerd, I understand Mal's intentions as honorable. If you have evidence to the contrary....

I accomplished a little bit more today. Put the fan on the water pump, put what's left of my lateral stabilizer back on the car (between the frame and transmission), started restoring my fuel tank, thought some more about the hard line from the tank, and cleaned a few bits and pieces. Oh yeah, hooked up the throttle linkage and tightened a few things. Measured for radiator hoses, and determined what I'd need to install the exhaust system (3 clamps, a universal hanger, manifold clamp, and some bolts, specifically). So I guess I got a little bit done.

I found some wear in the clutch linkage. I just painted over it for now (the car shifted fine before I took it apart), but I'll build it back up with a welder sometime in the future.

Also found a mystery on my steering box. Is my adjusting nut missing? How big of a deal is this? Not going to get it fixed in the next few days, but I do want it right eventually. Thanks!

Attach file:

jpg  (183.28 KB)
2964_4e4337de7c506.jpg 1600X956 px

jpg  (150.32 KB)
2964_4e4337f33f6a6.jpg 1600X956 px

jpg  (114.28 KB)
2964_4e43380159383.jpg 1600X956 px

Posted on: 2011/8/10 21:01

Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

flackmaster
See User information
That is not a missing adjusting nut. that is the "bottom" of the box where the horn wire comes through.

Posted on: 2011/8/10 21:14
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Ken_P
See User information
Oh. Duh. You'd think I'd remember that, since I took it out. Wish they were all that easy!

Posted on: 2011/8/10 21:23

Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
Interesting, the horn wire on my 115C exits the box in line with the column, i.e., at the bottom or front of the steering box.

(o{}o)

Posted on: 2011/8/10 22:02
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Dale Rhinehart
See User information
Greetings Ken what ship will you be shipping out on? My nephew is the Commander of the USS North Carolina attack sub.

Posted on: 2011/8/10 22:07
 Top  Print   

« 1 ... 10 11 12 (13) 14 15 16 ... 24 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved