Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
258 user(s) are online (138 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 256

Packard Don, BigKev, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 2 (3) 4 5 »

Re: 1941 One Eighty - curious engine problem
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
A P-III? WOW! I'd be interested in hearing in a PM about your experiences with that engine - I've heard so much controversy about it's durability - the concensus of those that rebuild them for a living seems to be that they are overly complicated and not particulary long-lived.

Apologies for going "non-Packard" and off-topic, but are you familiar with this 39 P-III by Henri LaBourdette?

Attach file:

jpg  (246.09 KB)
177_4d30ad1581050.jpg 1223X1591 px

Posted on: 2011/1/14 15:04
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

fred kanter
See User information
Very familiar with the Labourdette P III, couold have bought it at auction at the Nassau County (NY) Coliseum in about 1972 for $30,000. It was metalic maroon and gorgeous.

Did Packiard ever build a time meachine?

Posted on: 2011/1/14 17:07
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Mike
See User information
what a gorgeous car, color and all. Fantastic.

Posted on: 2011/1/14 17:45
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Cortcomp, given your interest, here's a few more photos of the P-III. But then we should return to the original topic or start a new thread. Hopefully you guys have also followed the thread on AACA about custom-bodied Packards - there are some really terrific cars shown there.

I really am anxious to hear the finale on the 41 356 engine problem (as I'm sure is the owner). Apologies for digressing (again).

Attach file:

jpg  (182.67 KB)
177_4d30df213991d.jpg 1600X1200 px

jpg  (112.01 KB)
177_4d30df2f6c0a0.jpg 1600X1200 px

jpg  (197.18 KB)
177_4d30df3e2692b.jpg 1600X1200 px

Posted on: 2011/1/14 18:42
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Victor
See User information
Familiar with the car? Well, I have only seen it once. 1939 PIII Labourdette Cabriolet, which I have also seen mentioned as Vutotal. Chassis nr is 3DL120.... (these crazy RR guys always go by chassis nr.). I only have one pic in it's former marroon color, enclosed, but have a few more. In case you would like me to send them, contact me directly please.

About the engines, I have heard horror stories about their complexity and I know RR never issued manuals for it as according to them it could only be serviced by their shop. Luckily there is a great club and some people devoted hours to creating such a manual, and even a book on the engine.

In my case, I was lucky. My car is a '37 model, rebodied in 1952 by Freestone and Webb as a coupe (pic enlclosed), but had seen a lack of general maintenance for over 30 years. I contacted the appropiate people, found out what I needed to check and decided to get the car. Luckily, the engine was mostly good, and with lots of cleaning (overheating) and timing and ignition checks, the car now runs like a charm. I have only driven once a Packard 12, and I couldn't say which could be better. The RR is truly a majestic car, silky, powerfull but perhaps not as silent as the Packard. Both are fabulous cars.... but the same is not true for the smaller RR being made in the same years. I own a 1937 25/30 and, even though it is a great quality car, it cannot compare to a senior Packard.... perhaps only to a 110, but don't tell that to any RR guy!

Back to Packards...

Attach file:

jpg  (122.68 KB)
1141_4d30e2a20ce7a.jpg 1182X593 px

jpg  (40.78 KB)
1141_4d30e2c3c93e1.jpg 512X375 px

Posted on: 2011/1/14 18:58
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Victor
See User information
and a pic of how it is today... lowsy pic with my cel phone.

Then, a pic of the '41 Lebaron Sport Brougham with the engine problems, so we get back on topic ;- )

It is car no. 66 out of 99, so it sits at exactly 2/3rds of production.

Attach file:

jpg  (129.37 KB)
1141_4d30eaddd6696.jpg 1600X1200 px

jpg  (44.48 KB)
1141_4d30eb55e9043.jpg 640X480 px

Posted on: 2011/1/14 19:34
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Guscha
See User information
Victor,

many thanks for adding --> another color to the game.

Click to see original Image in a new window

Posted on: 2011/1/14 19:39
The story of ZIS-110, ZIS-115, ZIL-111 & Chaika GAZ-13 on www.guscha.de
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Tim Cole
See User information
Okay, back on topic.

I have a lot of experience with this problem - sticky valves.

What is happening is the valve stems are pitted and full of varnish.

To verify: start the car, raise to fast idle, and judiciously feed the motor Gumout. The missing should improve.

Since your case is not severe enough to cause clatter then dropping the oil pan and switching to detergent oil 10w-30 may stop the problem without laying up the car.

The other solution is new valves and guides, although some long time owners I knew in the old days were able to eliminate the problem by dressing each valve stem with emery cloth and reassembling.

Good luck.

Also, my experience with RR P-II and III is that, when they are driven and maintained as directed by RR, they had longevity that was marvelous and a quality of machine and materials technology that was the best in the world. RR more than any other achieved close to true hydro-dynamic lubrication and that in itself is monumental.

Posted on: 2011/1/14 20:43
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Victor
See User information
Tim:

You are giving me a lot of hope, thanks a lot! Sticky valves could surely be the problem. The car sat with the engine just done and probably only started a few times, for about 30 years.

I will try to find Gumout (which I am not familiar with) or some equivalent and do just as you suggest, first. Then, I will also do the 10W30 detergent oil... hopefully that will help solve the problem. I have to admit I am terrified to look at valves and or remove head particularly on this car, because of it's front end bod construction, in which you nearly have to take half of the car off to access the engine properly.

Thanks for the comments on RR engines and their lubrication system. I had no idea they had such a wonderful system. They are truly great quality cars.

Thanks for your help,
victor

Posted on: 2011/1/14 21:05
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JT120
See User information
Victor, have you by chance tested the engine with a vacuum gauge? If not that might help narrow down the potential problem.http://autospeed.com/cms/title_Using-a-Vacuum-Gauge-for-Engine-Diagnostics/A_2393/article.html

Posted on: 2011/1/14 22:42
 Top  Print   

« 1 2 (3) 4 5 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved