Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
205 user(s) are online (113 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 4
Guests: 201

Ozstatman, Todd W. White, Don B, kevinpackard, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 ... 224 225 226 (227) 228 229 230 ... 257 »

Re: BigKev's 1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Sedan
Home away from home
Home away from home

Brenda
See User information
My 53 Clipper Deluxe has a rim size "K", 5 1/2" They are built for 760.15. The brochure shows the pie crust edge and it looks so nice. So instead of pushing the limit with 820's requiring a 6" rim, not really much, but I decided, after months of going back and forth, to stay with the original size. A man on horseback wouldn't notice.

Posted on: 2017/4/19 9:06
1953 Packard Clipper Deluxe
She starts on the first crank in the morning and purrs like a kitten all day.
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

64avanti
See User information
Big Kev,
You need to come to the Jefferson WI County Fairground swap on the 28-30th. Coker Tire is sometimes there & you can pick up your order. It's a nice show & swap. I will have my '55 there for sale.
I will spring for a "Big Bar". If you are unfamiliar, it is worth the trip :)

Posted on: 2017/4/19 9:07
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
Not sure if I can get up there on those dates as I have a pretty full dance card at the moment with work and honey-do's. But if something changes, I will keep it in mind.

Posted on: 2017/4/20 12:21
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
New tires are out for delivery in two different boxes. Will report back once the eagle has landed.

Posted on: 2017/4/26 11:01
-BigKev

Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
I like 'em!

Took the tire guys a bit to get them to bead, as they were shrink-wrapped tightly when shipped, to the point that side beads were touching each other. So they had to dump each tire with a lot of air at one time to blow them back open and get the bead to seal. It took them about five tries on the first tire, and by the last one, they got it in one shot. $25 per tire to mount and balance and I had them tape weight it when balanced so no weights are visible on the outside.

We are due for rain this evening and the next few days, so this was the only time I could take the car in to get it done.

Attach file:

jpg  (181.32 KB)
1_5902453fef02e.jpg 1280X960 px

jpg  (170.77 KB)
1_5902454790e97.jpg 1280X960 px

jpg  (222.51 KB)
1_5902454fee894.jpg 1280X960 px

Posted on: 2017/4/27 14:30
-BigKev

Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
It looks gorgeous! On the balancing weights, I'll often ask tire shops to put them only on the back side which they will usually do even if they protest.

Posted on: 2017/4/27 15:03
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
They do look good. Are those the Coker radial 760R-15s you mentioned in the other post and you ordered them from Summit??

Posted on: 2017/4/27 15:13
Howard
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Cli55er
See User information
that looks amazing!

Posted on: 2017/4/27 15:15
1937 Packard 138-CD Deluxe Touring Limousine
Maroon/Black 1090-1021
[url=https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/registry/View.php?ID=232]1955 Packard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

acolds
See User information
I like the new look. Just for fun went back to see pictures of car when you purchased it. After looking at the before and after you should be proud and feel a great deal of satisfaction with what you have accomplished. The down side is you will never be done always another little thing thats on your to do list. Good job

Posted on: 2017/4/27 15:47
C:\Users\veron\Desktop\New folder\1956 Packard Caribbean\753.jpg
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
Kev, frosting on the cake. They look great. You must be most pleased with the look of the whitewalls. Hopefully, there will be lots of good weather so you can enjoy them.

Your comment about placing all the weights on the inside got me to thinking about how we used to do it. Back in the day, I was balancing tires in my dad's shop on a Bear machine. We would do static and dynamic balancing. After the static balance had been achieved, where the tire could be rotated and stopped and would stay in place. we would then spin up the tire and wheel and install weights according to a sparking indicator. The initial placing of the weights would be equal inside and outside. Then if indicated, would place more on one side or the other. Like I said this was a primitive method compared to the computer aided balancers used these days.

A while back, I had tires mounted on some refurbished wheels on the 115C. The tire tech asked if I wanted all the weights on the inside. I asked him to place them when they would do the most good. They ended up with weights on both sides. Same thing recently with new tires and wheels on the Avanti, weights on both sides.

Actually, there is a third balancing method used and that has something to do with how hard one part of the tire strikes the road. Basically, one wants the same amount of impact all around the tire. This is adjusted by rotating the tire on the wheel for the optimum position. I had this done on a 240Z that had problems with the front tires shaking. It helped somewhat. Probably poorly made tires.

JWL

Posted on: 2017/4/27 16:27
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print   

« 1 ... 224 225 226 (227) 228 229 230 ... 257 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved