Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
208 user(s) are online (144 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 207

SteveP516, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 ... 23 24 25 (26) 27 28 29 »

Re: Larry's 1951 Club Sedan Project
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
A great looking car. Seeing it come to a finish makes all the sweat, tears, money and maybe even some drops of blood worthwhile.

Posted on: 2014/12/23 20:00
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

58L8134
See User information
Hi

Congratulation! Looks marvelous! Perseverance certainly pays off! Now, what's the next Packard project?!

Steve

Posted on: 2014/12/23 20:17
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Charles
See User information
Congrats! The car looks awesome! All your hard work has definitely paid off. I'm still wiping the drool off my computer! Man I love that color!

Posted on: 2014/12/23 20:22
[url=h
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Sloride75
See User information
Beautiful car, Larry, congratulations!

Posted on: 2014/12/23 22:25
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
Lee,

Looks great! And looking forward to seeing it "in the metal" at the National Rally in March.

Posted on: 2014/12/24 5:38
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Larry51
See User information
Thank you very much for your kind comments gents. I've concluded that it was worthwhile spending all that time and money on the project. My wife is also still with me(!) after it all, and she loves the car. But dunno if I'll take on another project anywhere as big . . . . unless of course, it was a '51 Convertible in reasonable condition!

Posted on: 2014/12/30 18:08
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Larry51
See User information
The '51 has been running well and I've clocked up around 300miles since it was registered. Mostly very enjoyable driving!

There have been a few problems, he most inconvenient being range on fuel is only about 80 miles. I was sure that was caused by a hole in the petrol pickup tube because every time I was refilling the tank petrol started coming up the filler spout after around 4-5 gallons were added. Even adding very slowly it was always the case of fuel coming back at you from the spout, and the tank just would not take any more. "No 'airlock' could be that persistent" I thought.

So I was ready to take the tank out, cut a hole and fix the pickup tube . . . until a few days ago when thinking: what it I find no problem with the pickup tube? So, how do I prove it is the pickup?

I took a Jerry can and topped up my tank, which SHOULD have been completely full after the last drive / top-up at a servo. Around 35 litres (8 gallons) later I knew my problem was an air lock that was happening every time I refilled the tank (- no matter how carefully). Strange because one time a few months ago I blew air down the breather to test and there was no blockage.

So, got under the car and took the rubber hose off the breather-to-tank pipes and blew through it / sucked through it. No blockage. So, question is: why the almost constant airlock problem?

A friend with a '51 tells me that Packard placed a whistle in the breather pipe, which was to alert you when the tank was nearly full. I can't tell if there's a whistle in there or not. If there is, maybe it creates just enough back-pressure to cause an airlock.

Now I need to figure out how to overcome this airlock problem. The only idea so far is to change the existing breather to make it more effective. I wonder how?

Have posted to see what ideas other have.

Posted on: 2015/2/20 0:15
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

BDeB
See User information
Did you try blowing through the vent tube in both directions?

See this thread for information on the 1951 vent tube and whistle.

Whistle while refueling

Posted on: 2015/2/20 0:49
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Charles
See User information
Been a LONG time since I put gas in my '51 but I vaguely remember having to keep the nozzle of the pump out a ways from the filler opening. I think it had something to do with the pump constantly clicking off. Maybe that is your problem? I did hear a whistle noise when I did it that way.

Posted on: 2015/2/20 13:25
[url=h
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Larry51
See User information
Thanks BDeB and Charles.

I read about the whistle, quite interesting. And I'll try the method suggested for filling the tank next time . . . Hope that it will work!

Posted on: 2015/2/21 3:51
 Top  Print   

« 1 ... 23 24 25 (26) 27 28 29 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved