Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
250 user(s) are online (155 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 249

Don B, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 ... 4 5 6 (7) 8 »

Re: R9 Overdrive
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
On the two solenoids I looked at, 4 doesn't open until the plunger is about 1/8" of all the way out. 7 is slightly before it, but not by much.

Posted on: 2012/8/8 12:44
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

packard1949
See User information
I did put a nail and it seems to move in about 1/4 inch. It was very easy to move-not much resistance at all. Could it be that something is preventing the pawl from going all the way in?

Posted on: 2012/8/8 12:49
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
The pawl is preventing from sliding first by the lockout bar assy operated by the lever. It slides in the rounded depression shown on top of pawl. Since you can move 1/4", that is obviously clear and possibly even the next item.

The next item is the balk ring which keeps it just clear of the sun gear. That is controlled by counter rotation of components in the unit when you let off the gas to engage OD. With that 1/4" movement, it may be in a position to let the pawl pass but no way to tell without disassembly.

The third obstacle would be the sun gear itself lining up so one of the pawl recesses is in line to accept the pawl.

You might try rotating the driveshaft to see if you can line things up -- particularly the balk ring if that is in the blocking position -- but whether you would be successful at that slow hand speed is a question.

Posted on: 2012/8/8 13:08
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Ross
See User information
It is almost impossible to turn the driveshaft in a way to make it possible for the pawl to slide in. Have rarely had success with it.

BUT, if when you unbolted the solenoid it sprang away from the case a bit, which I believe you mentioned once, then I can guarantee that the solenoid was not engaged in the pawl but was sitting on top of it. The overdrive will click all day but never engage.

On the R9s you pretty well have to energize the solenoid with a couple of jumpers to get the shank to stick out far enough to catch the slot on the pawl. You'll know you have it when the solenoid will no longer pull straight out. If I recall, you tip the back of the solenoid toward the rear of the car to catch the entrance slot of the pawl. The little holes on the adapter plate do go the rear.

By the way, the adapter should lay flat on the tranny. If the center sits high it has been warped by being installed backward in the past and will need to be lovingly flattened.

Posted on: 2012/8/8 14:25
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

packard1949
See User information
Thks-that last comment about being flat-I noticed a build up of "stuff" when I took it off this time. So far the inside seems to be checking out ok. Will reassemble tomorrow with #3 down and #4 terminal up.

thks

David

Posted on: 2012/8/8 17:38
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

packard1949
See User information
Reinstalled the solenoid this morning. #3 is down and spacer holes to rear. I connected terminal 5 to ground and the dash light was not lite. I think this is good news-it started raining before I could do a test drive. We will see

thks

David

Posted on: 2012/8/9 9:04
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

packard1949
See User information
Rain stopped-took it for a drive-no change-green light comes on at speed but will not go into overdrive. I guess Mark Lambert-the Packard Wizard was right-something the OD unit.

thks to all

David

Posted on: 2012/8/9 13:08
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

packard1949
See User information
I found the receipt when Mark Lambert worked on the OD-statement that problems were internal to OD not the external components. How difficult to remove the OD?

Posted on: 2012/8/11 7:25
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

West Peterson
See User information
Has to come out with the transmission as one unit.

Posted on: 2012/8/11 10:40
West Peterson
1930 Packard Speedster Eight Runabout (boattail)
1940 Packard 1808 w/Factory Air
1947 Chrysler Town and Country sedan
1970 Camaro RS

https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=4307&forum=10

http://aaca.org/
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Tim Cole
See User information
Dear 1949:

The blocker ring is probably stuck. Either that or somebody did something wrong.

If it isn't making noises then I would drain the oil and set aside. Then fill the thing with Marvel oil, Lucas diesel fuel treatment, kerosene, or whatever. Let it soak, then run the thing on jack stands for a few minutes and let soak overnight.

Just don't drive it without gear oil in the trans.

If that doesn't free it up then proceed to Plan T (teardown).

Posted on: 2012/8/11 21:07
 Top  Print   

« 1 ... 4 5 6 (7) 8 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved