Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
181 user(s) are online (120 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 180

William Grosz, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 ... 4 5 6 (7) 8 »

Re: 359 Straight Eight Engine
Home away from home
Home away from home

Rusty O\'Toole
See User information
Quote:

Gary Marshall wrote:
Yes Rusty, sounds like a big understatement. Normal British thinking they have best when truth they have worst . Although I did like the Truimph 2000 Roadster. And the Bently and MG.
The Packard must be the Bently of America.

Do any members convert there engines to run on unleaded fuel ? Or best left alone?

As a fan of English cars I would not say worst. Although the special pleading and head in the sand attitude of the industry and journalists of the fifties and sixties can be amusing.

I felt bad when the English auto and motorcycle industry finally died, as you would when an old friend died of a disease that could have been prevented or cured had he listened to competent medical advice.

Posted on: 2010/12/26 17:55
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Rusty, sooner or later most owners of 359 engines are forced to replace the aluminum head with a 327 cast iron head. At that point, and I speak from many thousands of miles with such as 54 Packard, premium gasoline will be most appropriate, some would say essential.

Posted on: 2010/12/26 17:57
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Rusty O\'Toole
See User information
Quote:

Owen_Dyneto wrote:
Rusty, sooner or later most owners of 359 engines are forced to replace the aluminum head with a 327 cast iron head. At that point, and I speak from many thousands of miles with such as 54 Packard, premium gasoline will be most appropriate, some would say essential.

Do you know what the compression ratio would be? And do you mean 92 octane premium unleaded?

Posted on: 2010/12/26 18:00
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Rusty O\'Toole
See User information
I also question the necessity of special oil in a flathead engine.

The reason modern engines do not require zinc is that their OHC valve trains are short, light, and lightly loaded. The old pushrod OHV engines had a heavier valve train and stiffer valve springs and consequently, more pressure on the cam and lifter surfaces.

A flathead has similar light valve train, light springs etc to an OHC.

In fact I believe the use of zinc began in the early fifties after a spate of cam and lifter failures on the then new OHV engines, particularly Studebaker and Chrysler although other makes were not immune. This was something new as the old flatheads had never experienced such cam and lifter failures.

Posted on: 2010/12/26 18:03
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Gary Marshall
See User information
That's so interesting . So Basically the 359 engine can cope easily with unleaded petrol, no conversion needed? And in that case no special engine oil required. Makes life alittle more easy

Posted on: 2010/12/27 5:52
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Mike
See User information
I would still run whatever oil you prefer and a zinc additive, even every other oil change, because it's cheap insurance. But i too have read that this wasn't a flathead problem, it comes from the higher spring pressures and more aggressive cam profiles of the OHC engine.

Posted on: 2010/12/27 9:28
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Gary Marshall
See User information
Can the higher spring pressure be fixed? Or just something we have to live with?

Posted on: 2010/12/28 7:22
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
From what I understand, there is no need for going to a zinc additive unless you have a new camshaft, or a reground one, and/or new or refaced tappets/lifters. Modern oils have enough zinc to provide provide lubrication to these parts. A seasoned engine will tolerate the new formulated oils just fine.

But, having just said this, I use 15W-40 Classic Car Motor Oil in my Packards. This is a motor oil that is formulated for engines of our Packards' age and for those that do not use a catalytic converter. It is sold by a region of the CCCA in case lots. It may be overkill, but it makes me feel good.

(o{I}o)

Edit: I believe, that those with the old style straight-8s with roller cam followers should have no concerns about the new motor oils.

Posted on: 2010/12/28 11:09
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Rusty O\'Toole
See User information
Quote:

Gary Marshall wrote:
Can the higher spring pressure be fixed? Or just something we have to live with?

It's part of the design of the engine. Pushrod engines have a heavy complicated valve mechanism. They need heavy valve springs to control them. This means heavier loads on the moving parts.

Pushrod engines built since the early 90s usually have roller lifters. These eliminate sliding or rubbing at the most heavily loaded parts, and substitute a roller bearing. This eliminates friction and wear at the most critical point.

It is not practical to change a flat tappet engine to roller lifters. It can be done but the expense is not justified.

The engines most in danger of cam and lifter failure are high performance pushrod V8s of they type used in most American performance cars from the early fifties to the early nineties. The more radical the camshaft, the stiffer the valve springs and the more critical proper lubrication becomes.

Flathead engines, overhead cam engines, and engines with roller lifters are not prone to excess wear here.

Posted on: 2010/12/28 12:43
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
Gary,

Rebuilt 359 Engine and Trans for sale over on the PAC Site. If yours is seized this could be the easy way to go with everything already done, and looking good too!

Posted on: 2011/1/2 17:38
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print   

« 1 ... 4 5 6 (7) 8 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved