Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
210 user(s) are online (121 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 209

kevinpackard, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 »

Rebuilding a water pump...
Home away from home
Home away from home

D-train
See User information
Hi everyone,

Has anyone rebuilt their own water pump? I've got a press, blanks (to press with) and I've got the means to clean up the exterior of the housing. But not having done one before, I just don't know if I should try it myself ($75 kit from Meritt) or just send it off to have it done. I've pressed bearings, shafts and other stuff, just haven't rebuilt a water pump.

Thanks for any input.

Mark

Posted on: 2012/11/8 1:01
 Top  Print   

Re: Rebuilding a water pump...
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Cli55er
See User information
i did mine myself on my 55, but i broke 2 housings in the process...so in the long run it would have probably been the same amount to just send it off. but i wanted the experience of doing it and during that i found a modern replacement for the shaft seal. so you never know what you will end up with doing it yourself.

Posted on: 2012/11/8 10:17
1937 Packard 138-CD Deluxe Touring Limousine
Maroon/Black 1090-1021
[url=https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/registry/View.php?ID=232]1955 Packard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Joel Ray
See User information
You might get some helpful answers if we knew what year and model of car the pump is from.

Posted on: 2012/11/8 13:26
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

D-train
See User information
Sorry, missed that. It's from a 22nd 288cu.

Posted on: 2012/11/8 17:39
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Steve
See User information
Hi D-train,
Here's my experience. My 55 dodge had a leaking water pump.
I bought a new replacement (rebuilt) water pump from Andy Bernbaum's. The replacement pump leaked from the get go. I tried to get an replacement and Bernbaum's didn't have one. I asked for my core back and they said they don't have it. I took their leaking pump to a local rebuilder. The new rebuilt pump had been assembled using a new seal over a galled shaft caused by a frozen bearing which was not replaced during the original rebuild. The local rebuilder replaced the shaft, machined the housing for a larger bearing and returned it to me looking like a new pump with a year guarantee. The point to my story is: You don't know what is going on with the pump until you decide to do the work yourself. If you deal with a local rebuilder you have any easier time getting satisfaction when there's a problem. And, quite possibly the cost will not be that much different. The pump from Bernbaum's was 100.00 plus shipping and untold weeks of trying to get my money back(5 weeks, no money back) The local rebuilder charged 125.00 and appears to have done it right the first time. I hope this helps.

Posted on: 2012/11/9 15:50
Steve
Old cars are my passion

1951 Packard 200
1953 Packard Clipper Custom Touring Sedan
1955 Dodge Custom Royal Lancer Tri-tone
1966 Rambler Classic 770 Convertible
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

packard1949
See User information
I got a rebuilt pump from Max seems it was about $100-got it in about 3 days(47 super clipper)-Why screw around with rebuilding your self?

I am looking at a radio rebuild similiar situation-parts cost approx $100 and I can get someone to do it for about $200 plus shipping

Posted on: 2012/11/9 16:26
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

John Harley
See User information
Dtrain

I've used two NEW pumps from Kanter. They are pricier than doing it yourself, but not too much more than sending out for a rebuild. You can keep your core and use it for a rebuild for a spare later

Regards

John Harley

Posted on: 2012/11/9 18:41
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

D-train
See User information
I am going to try the rebuild myself. I have two pumps, so I can break one casting and still have a spare. If I fail at two of them, then I purchase the new pumps from Meritt or Kanter.

Does anyone know if I need to press the shaft from the outside in, or inside out?

Thanks,

Mark

Posted on: 2013/1/13 0:40
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

packardtaximan
See User information
Does anyone know of a source for just the seal for the 48-50 pumps. I have a rebuilt pump and a NOS pump that both leaked when installed. I purchased a rebuilt pump from a Packard vendor that when I recieved it the impeller was so thin I was afraid to install it. I installed it this summer and did not have any problems until the impeller self destructed this fall. I would like to try to rebuild one of my spare pumps. D-train I have several used pumps if you need a extra one to work with.

Posted on: 2013/1/13 9:53
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
If Hank -cli55er- doesn't see your post might PM him for the measurement info needed and the place he found the swimming pool pump seal. He found one that fits his 55 pump so maybe something is available for yours as well and may even be the same seal.

Posted on: 2013/1/13 10:13
Howard
 Top  Print   

(1) 2 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved