Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
208 user(s) are online (131 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 3
Guests: 205

BigKev, Guscha, pack36997, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 »

Manual fuel primer pump
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hans
See User information
Hi guys, I thought i might share this cheap but effective solution with you.

To prime the fuel bowl I bought this simple manual pump off an aquatic shop. It is used in various outboard engines.

I fitted it between the fuel pump and the carburetor, it sucks the gas through the existing car fuel pump effortlessly and fills up the bowl in no time.

Attach file:

jpg  (1.85 KB)
3515_5188ba57610c1.jpg 178X95 px

Posted on: 2013/5/7 3:24
All the best from Holland!
Hans

Clipper Deluxe Touring sedan 1954
 Top  Print   

Re: Manual fuel primer pump
Home away from home
Home away from home

Anthony Pallett
See User information
That's pretty clever. How did you come up with the idea?

Posted on: 2013/5/7 4:50
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hans
See User information
Thanks for your compliment.
Sheer genius I believe... Haha-- just kidding of course. I was thinking of buying an electric fuel pump for in line installation between the tank and the original pump. Operated by a push button, so for priming only.

Then just by coincidence I saw the manual pump being advertised on the internet and decided to give it a try. Just Euro 12,-- transport included, a couple of hose clamps and a new length of fuel hose. The installation was a matter of minutes and if you don't know it's there, you don't even notice it.

I'm very satisfied with the result.

Posted on: 2013/5/7 6:16
All the best from Holland!
Hans

Clipper Deluxe Touring sedan 1954
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Ross
See User information
Love it. Simple is good.

Posted on: 2013/5/7 6:31
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

packardtaximan
See User information
I drove my first Packard for 4 months using a outboard motor boat tank and the squeeze bulb as the only fuel supply. Worked better in town than on the highway. I developed a very good grip in one hand.

Posted on: 2013/5/9 2:04
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hotrod
See User information
Hans, do you have a part number, name brand or manufacturer for this manual pump?

Posted on: 2014/6/25 23:10
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Mark Graber
See User information
Any boat dealer or sporting goods warehouse store will have those bulbs. They are (or were) standard equipment on remote tank outboards.
Mark

Posted on: 2014/6/26 12:46
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

jfrom@kanter
See User information
I understand the principle behind the idea, but I don't know if those primer bulbs are made to with stand the heat of being in an engine compartment as they do not see those types of conditions in their standard use. The issue of the hard start like this is a result of a bad accelerator pump. Wouldn't it be better to correct the issue that is causing the problem. This fix seems a bit dangerous. If anything I would install and inline electric fuel pump.

Posted on: 2014/6/26 12:58
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Sloride75
See User information
I read this thread when it was first posted and thought, "that's a GREAT idea!"

The "problem" I wanted to overcome is the extended cranking as the fuel filter and carb bowl fill up with fuel after the car has been sitting for a week or more.

This solution works GREAT for this "problem". I can now give a few squeezes of the pump, hop in the car, and (usually) within one engine revolution, she's purring at high-idle. Let her warm up, kick the idle down, and off I go.

HOWEVER...I have noticed another problem pop up since I've been using this pump, and I'm wondering if anyone has experienced the same. The problem may be coincidental or related to the use of the pump.

The weather has been hot here, in the 80's the past few times I've taken it out. If I shut the car off and start it back up within a couple of minutes, no problem. If I shut it off and let it cool all the way down, no problem. But if I shut the car off and let it sit for 20 minutes - and hour or so, it is flooded. Very hard to start, and when it does, it smells like strait gasoline.

My theory is that the little bulb allows the fuel inside to expand, pressurizing the fuel in the line between the pump and the carb, and flooding the carb.

Does this sound feasible??? Anyone else experience this???

Posted on: 2014/8/18 21:28
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
My 56 Carib has had that problem in the past; instant restart or within 10 minutes = no problem. Cold start = no problem. Restart after a couple of hours = no problem. But restart after about 30 minutes to an hour often required me to use the choke unloader (floor the gas pedal) for reliable restart.

As long as the carburetor needle and seat are functioning properly, I don't think your theory holds water. I'd look at the carburetor fuel bowl vent (or anti-percolator valves if so equipped) and also the automatic choke adjustment. If the fuel bowl is properly venting, then leaning up the automatic choke a couple of notches may well solve it.

Posted on: 2014/8/18 22:20
 Top  Print   

(1) 2 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved