Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
206 user(s) are online (127 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 206

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 3 »

Painting the engine
Just popping in
Just popping in

Paul Fisk
See User information
I recently purchased a 1930 Standard 8 Sedan. I need to do some minor engine work and thought I would detail the engine while I was at it. Can someone tell me what parts of the engine are painted Packard green, what parts are painted black and what is left unpainted aluminum. Thanks in advance for the help

Posted on: 2013/6/3 10:56
 Top  Print   

Re: Painting the engine
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
This should help, it's a 7th Series Big 8. Two details I'd question based on original engines: (1) the air scoop for the generator - it's an incorrect generator and shouldn't have the air scoop, but since it has one, the scoop would be black. (2) Though I've seen it often and again don't know with absolute certainly, on original engines I've seen the cast iron rocker shaft covers are painted aluminum from the advent of the Single Eight and Single Six right thru the end of production of those engines. Factory photos of the era, though in B&W, don't leave much if any room for argument here.

Attach file:

jpg  (65.01 KB)
177_51acc1d7b7ca6.jpg 800X600 px

jpg  (54.97 KB)
177_51acc1e9da0c5.jpg 800X600 px

Posted on: 2013/6/3 11:18
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Mr.Pushbutton
See User information
If this were a Lincoln, and you belonged to the Lincoln Club you could look at a judging guide that features the original factory parts book exploded diagram, marked up with the proper colors and finishes (plating) for under hood items.
Thank goodness for this site, and the panel of learned individuals who populate it, you can get accurate answers fast, and occasionally an amusing argument or two.

Posted on: 2013/6/3 12:24
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
I sometimes reference the PI engine room judging guide. It is a noble effort and took much work to assemble such a document though as one might expect it has some inconsistencies and errors. But the original factory photos are an excellent reference and I did check them in this case, and the rocker arm housings were aluminum-colored. Of course one must always be at least a bit leary of factory photos that weren't taken off the production line but were taken for exhibit purposes, or taken before the car began production, or taken as illustrations for a service manual - there are MANY variances from correctness in some of these illustrations. All this aside, the PI judging guide is a good reference as long as you recognize that it's not infallible.

On the restored engine I've shown above, I think one could safely assume the engine was painted with the water jacket cover in place so I'd think the fasteners should be painted as well and not bright finish as shown.

Posted on: 2013/6/3 13:05
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
G'day Paul,
to PackardInfo.

And I invite you to include your '30 Standard Eight Sedan, with or without detailed engine, in the Packard Owner's Registry here on PackardInfo!

Posted on: 2013/6/3 15:08
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Tim Cole
See User information
That generator is the high output red tag and may be an authorized upgrade.

The biggest problem is the firewall should be black, and the vacuum tank has gone south and displaced by an Eighth series crankcase. However, there was a factory conversion kit so the motor number would need to be checked. As well the steering column should be black.

The cam followers should not be green, but I'll check just in case I have a period photo otherwise.

If I were judging this thing I might knock it 3-4 CCCA points for authenticity which is pretty stern, but the paint problems are not precluded by parts scarcity.

Additionally, the water intake should be green, the water jacket bolts painted, and cam followers held on with hex nuts (preferably Packard's pattern which is similar to certain military spec.) The water jacket bolts were a heavy pattern head as well, but wear out and have to be made for 100% anal retention.

As well, the cylinder head should be held on with acorn nuts and the fuel pump really should be black.

Posted on: 2013/6/3 15:30
 Top  Print   

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

antiquecarman
See User information
Would this info be the same for the 34 standard 8 ? I am about to clean and repaint the engine in it.
THANKS

Posted on: 2013/6/4 12:22
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Yes, essentially the same. Photos of mine, I believe it is essentially correct though there are various opinions as to whether the fuel pump should be painted black.

Tell me more about your 34 Eight (the word "standard" wasn't used since 1932), I've had mine for a very long time and always interested in learning of others. Do I have your VN and theft-proof numbers?

Note - color somewhat washed out in the last photo from electronic flash.

Attach file:

jpg  (84.42 KB)
177_51ae242d5e47d.jpg 1211X804 px

jpg  (95.00 KB)
177_51ae24522fcb3.jpg 1217X798 px

jpg  (108.94 KB)
177_51ae24deb13b5.jpg 1280X860 px

Posted on: 2013/6/4 12:31
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Tim Cole
See User information
Black fuel pumps lasted through the 9th series, and only a few early 10th series cars. You are better off not painting them because of the risk of dirt. I had that happen once and it sucked. I think the original black was not paint, but an oxide finish.

Posted on: 2013/6/4 15:32
 Top  Print   

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

antiquecarman
See User information
Thanks.
I just used the term standard to refer to the small eight.I did not look it up to find proper terminology.
No I do not think you have the numbers.I CERTAINLY APPRECIATE YOUR INPUT ! Also thanks to Mr Cole.

Posted on: 2013/6/5 12:21
 Top  Print   

(1) 2 3 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved