Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
234 user(s) are online (150 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 233

moodydavid16, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2) 3 »

Re: 1942 120 convertible badged as 160
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
From everything I've seen over the years I believe senior tail lights on 1942 junior convertibles was a standard factory fitment.

Posted on: 2014/8/22 19:56
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JD in KC
See User information
Without more information on what specifically has been done to the 120, I can't comment on the OP's original question.

In regards to O_D's question on value, I will comment as if I were the potential buyer. In general I agree with all the previous posts.

If it's a 120 with the original data plate that has had some cosmetic bolt-on changes that can easily be reversed, I would be willing to pay 120 prices and would reverse the changes. I'm not a militant purist (to quote another well known poster) but I wouldn't want a 120 that's trying to look like a 160.

If it's a 120 that has had major changes; windows, dash plastic, 356 engine, etc. but still retains an original 120 data plate, I wouldn't be interested simply because of the additional cost to return it to original.

If it's a 120 that has had major changes as above and has a 160 body style number on the data plate, I wouldn't touch it with a 10 foot pole. That's a fraud on wheels.

In any case I wouldn't pay a 160 price and would be negotiating on the 120 price depending on how much it would cost to return the car to 120 status. I doubt that as a buyer I would come to agreement with the seller on price.

Someone who only drives the car in 4th of July parades and shows it at local cruise nights (where there are very few Packard people around to comment on the car) might have an entirely different view of the comparative values.

Posted on: 2014/8/23 8:49
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
A question just occurred to me. An earlier poster had suggested it might be a "120" convertible body mounted on a senior sedan chassis, which is possible. But wouldn't the sedan frame prove inadequate for a convertible? Or to put it another way, were not the convertible frames specially reinforced as they were for postwar convertibles?

Posted on: 2014/8/23 9:29
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
I'm curious how they handled body changes officially. If you look thru the service letters and counselors, there are several little notices about so and so dealer has a body for sale. Most are in the early to mid 30s but a few are during the war. If a car was wrecked or somehow damaged and there was a body -- albeit for a different model -- available but would still fit a chassis even if it needed minor mods or repairing, how would that have been handled.

SL and SC articles were official but I'd even bet there was an unofficial grapevine mentioning things like that & would have expected that body change might have been more common than you might think with the depression or the war making new or repair parts in short supply.

Posted on: 2014/8/23 9:40
Howard
 Top  Print   

Just popping in
Just popping in

JohnK
See User information
Here are the links to the YouTube videos from an earlier dealer:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FBfp7J6kOzQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ya8VX87XYIY

In the first one he specifically says 160; in the second he only says Packard (might have been smacked in the head in between videos}. The data plate says 1599.

Posted on: 2014/8/23 11:34
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
I didn't watch both videos completely but there was a glimse of the passenger door panel and I didn't see a crank for the vent window. Also in an underhood view which included the starter motor, it appeared to be a 282 starter, certainly not the step-down AutoLite the 356 engine had. Did I see these things correctly?

Posted on: 2014/8/23 17:19
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

RogerDetroit
See User information
Owen you saw it correctly - it is definitely a junior car.

Reasons:
Data plates says model 1599
282 motor - starter, air filter no oil filter, etc.
Grille louvers are fixed in place.
Vent windows are push/pull, no crank.

So as JD says this is a relatively easy clean-up to put back to 120 specs.

You need to:
Sell the larger 160 bumpers - they are in demand
Sell the tail lights - if you buy the car I know someone that needs those lenses REAL bad. I can get you a nice price.
Sell the 160 hood and trunk scripts
Sell the 180 cloisonn? hood latches - they too are in demand
Get the dashboard woodgrained - it should not be painted.

Now negotiate a fair price for the car. The seller may not want to hear how it is not a 160, but you know better now.

Posted on: 2014/8/23 18:30
-

1941 Model 160 Convertible Sedan
[url=https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/registry
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

RogerDetroit
See User information
By the way, did you see the two comments for the first video? Even they know better.

Kenneth Eckstein
Whats the deal? a 160 or not? 120 is a junior packard with standard eight...guess no super here

Oogieobanyon
This is NOT a One-Sixty, but a One-Twenty with 160 badges, something done all too often. Friends know this car. Now we know why during the course of this long video, there are no interior/dash shots and the hood remains closed.

The second video did show the motor and interior.

Posted on: 2014/8/23 18:33
-

1941 Model 160 Convertible Sedan
[url=https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/registry
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard 1941
See User information
I have an unrestored 1942 Packard 120 convertible coupe which needs a total restoration, but is solid. It came from CA and someone long ago made a modification with the intake manifold - now has dual carbs. It has 120 tail lights, although I once had been told most of the 120s had the senior tail lights. I need to check the vent windows, etc. I plan to leave the manifold as is.

Posted on: 2014/8/23 19:30
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

John Harley
See User information
Friends

Drives "excellenty", not well?

42's had starter switch in gas pedal not on dash board. Starter button on "41 is on other side of the steering wheel and has a plastic button. Has cast iron thermostat housing of a 356.

Starter turns over too fast for 356 gear reduction and there is tappet noise at idle, not heard on a 356

Nice car otherwise. Has merit on its own identity, doesn't need "improvement"

Regards

John Harley

Posted on: 2014/8/23 20:39
 Top  Print   

« 1 (2) 3 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved