The Most Comprehensive Free Online Reference for Packard Owners
Become a member of Packard Motor Car Information, right now! (it's free)
Login
Username:

Password:

remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who's Online
44 user(s) are online (32 user(s) are browsing Packard Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 42

danharms, TL, more...

(1) 2 »

Stromberg Carb Question
Not too shy to talk
From Rockledge, Florida
Hi all,

I have another question for you great folks. I had the Stromberg EE-23 rebuilt a number of years ago and I can't remember who did the work but it's been running rich for as long as its been on the car. I spoke with Jeff from The Carb Doctor and I was thinking of sending the carb to him for a complete rebuild.

As I often do, I got online and searched for Stomberg carbs and I was surprised to see that Summit Racing and Lucky's Speed Shop have Stromberg 97 and a BIG97 which look remarkably similar to my EE-23.

Lucky's speed shop has one that's half black and half chrome that "I just have to have" ... if it fits my Packard. I just love the way it looks - sometimes I get carried away like that but that's another story.

I couldn't find any specs on the EE-23 as far as CFM etc to compare to the 97 - and I really, really want the chrome BIG97 ... so please talk me out of it.

Thanks,
Crin

Posted on: 7/8 18:16:55
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

Re: Stromberg Carb Question
Forum Ambassador
From New Jersey
The solution to your carburetor problem is to have your EE-23 properly adjusted or rebuilt.

Posted on: 7/8 18:52:42

Home away from home
From Portland, Oregon, USA

Posted on: 7/9 17:07:12

Home away from home
From Coalmont, B.C., Canada
Crin,

Agree with Owen_Dyneto that the 'correct' move here is to have your current carb either rebuilt and/or properly adjusted. Just as a side-bar here, I had a carb off a sailboat engine years ago, and it was giving me grief. I found out it was made by Tillitson in Ireland, and Acklands/Grainger carried the parts for them. I went down to the store thinking I would 'know' my carb when I saw it in the book and there were literally dozens of them, all 'looking' identical but all varying by a number or two. They had been spec'ed on everything from chainsaws to snowmobiles, and every one of them had different specifications, delivery rates and applications. AND, of all the units in the guy's book, mine was a 'marine' anomaly and wasn't available!!! Long story short, I ended up phoning the factory in Ireland and the guy told me in a thick Irish accent to 'get it over to him', which I did and received it back completely rebuilt, WITH an extra rebuild kit for future, and NO CHARGE!!! Blew me away - but the moral of the story is just because they look the same....

Posted on: 7/9 18:42:25

1939 Six, Model 1700

http://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/registry/index.php?Action=view&ID=1823

Home away from home
From TX
Not to hijack the topic, but is a sailboat engine not an oxymoron?

Posted on: 7/9 20:41:28

Bad company corrupts good character!

Farming: the art of losing money while working 100 hours a week to feed people who think you are trying to kill them

Home away from home
From Santa Fe
Quote:

BDC wrote:
Not to hijack the topic, but is a sailboat engine not an oxymoron?

Perhaps it is in an engine used to power a big fan to blow on the sails? Ha, ha. JWL

Posted on: 7/10 8:02:48

The past is a different country: They do things differently there. (L.P. Hartley)

Home away from home
From Coalmont, B.C., Canada
Obviously LUBBERS, the lot of ya!!! 'know you're just funnin, but we're talking ocean-going sailboats of size, that don't maneuver in small spaces; a reliable inboard is essential kit!
Chris

Posted on: 7/10 17:56:55

1939 Six, Model 1700

http://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/registry/index.php?Action=view&ID=1823

Home away from home
From sw, pa
Sounds like a three hour tour all over again.....

Posted on: 7/10 19:12:58

Not too shy to talk
From Rockledge, Florida
Hi all,

I'm going to hijack my thread back ... so I was thinking of sending the carb to The Old Carb Doctor. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

And for the record, I can't stop singing the Gilligan's Island theme .. three hour tour ... ahhhhh ... lol

Thanks,
Crin

Posted on: 7/11 17:39:22

Home away from home
From Long Island, NY
I liked Mary-Ann better than Ginger. Anybody else?

Posted on: 7/13 9:47:30

(1) 2 »

[Advanced Search]

Search
Recent Photos
Random Photo
1948 PACKARD-HENNEY 14894 AMBULANCE
Helping Out
PackardInfo is supported and funded by user donations. If you would to help out by either donating content, or funds to help with the upkeep and hosting of this site please EMAIL ME or click on the donate button.