Happy St. Patty's Day and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
30 user(s) are online (19 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 30

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 3 »

31 Stuck Engine
Home away from home
Home away from home

Greenfield
See User information
I've got a problem I need some advice on. I have a 1931 Standard Eight that I acquired as a stalled 30 year long restoration. I pulled the plugs, put about a tablespoon of Marvel Mystery Oil down each cylinder and let it sit a while. The head had some carbon in it, and the cylinder walls looked fine. I then rotated the engine about a third of a turn which went fine, no binding noted, then let it sit about two weeks. I come back and try to rotate it more, but everything is stuck. Tried putting it in gear with gentle rocking, but didn't work.

Given I was able to get some rotation, I believe I have something stuck on the valve train which didn't get stuck until the cam lobe came in contact with the stuck valve. I pulled the valve cover and hosed down where the valve stem contacts the lifter with PB blaster and additionally hosed down the tops of the valves in the head with PB as well. What more can I do here?

Posted on: 2019/11/17 8:03
 Top  Print 

Re: 31 Stuck Engine
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
After sitting 30 years, excellent chance it has several stuck valves. Safest way to proceed will be to pull the cylinder head and free and remove the valves. You may very well find you need to replace some valves and guides.

It would also be a good idea to drop the oil pan and clean and assess the condition of the lower end.

Posted on: 2019/11/17 9:03
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Greenfield
See User information
Thanks very much. Yes, I do plan on dropping the back for a thorough cleaning and inspection. Is there any hope in filing the cylinders with diesel/atf or atf/acetone and letting it sit a few weeks?

Posted on: 2019/11/17 10:16
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

blue40devil
See User information
I am not familiar with your engine, but if it is typical of straight 8's of the era there should be a side cover on the side that covers the valve/tappet gallery. Removing this would give you access to the valve and maybe a way to check to see if any are stuck.

If it turned before, then my guess is that there is/are stuck valve(s). The engine would turn enough until the cam lob started to come up and hit the stuck valve. I would take the head removal advice and try to figure which valve(s) should be beginning to open and concentrate on them.

What I commonly see is the engine blows the head gasket, which allows water to the valves and when parked for extended periods, rusts them in place.

Posted on: 2019/11/17 10:36
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
G'day Greenfield,
to PackardInfo and I invite you to include your '31 Standard Eight in the Packard Owner's Registry.

Posted on: 2019/11/17 15:50
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Greenfield
See User information
Thank you. I will post some pics and post an entry.

Posted on: 2019/11/17 17:33
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Newbie
See User information
Greenfield - I'm curious, based on your description, you say 'everything is stuck'. After you got the engine to partially turn; will it go back the opposite way from where it started to turn, or is it locked up completely?? I'm thinking if it will move back and then go forward to where it sticks again, a stuck valve would be the probable culprit, but if it is locked up completely, it could point to another issue altogether?? I guess with an engine that has sat for 30 years, a tear-down and basic rebuild would probably be the optimal course of action anyway, to prevent all kinds of operating woes going forward.

Posted on: 2019/11/17 18:57
'If you think you can, or you think you can't - you're right!' Henry Ford.
1939 Packard Six, Model 1700
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Greenfield
See User information
I don't know. I haven't tried to turn the engine counterclockwise yet. I have to make a contraption to fit over the crank dog bolt to turn counterclockwise. The starting handle is engineered to go clockwise only.

Posted on: 2019/11/19 13:04
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Newbie
See User information
No room for a 1" socket on the crank nut, eh??

Posted on: 2019/11/19 14:08
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Newbie
See User information
Greenfield - I just got it explained to me, that your '31 engine does not have a conventional nut on the crank-end, Please disregards my previous post and excuse my limited knowledge; PRESUMPTIONS will get you every time! Chris.

Posted on: 2019/11/19 22:21
 Top  Print 

(1) 2 3 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved