The Most Comprehensive Free Online Reference for Packard Owners
Become a member of Packard Motor Car Information, right now! (it's free)
Login
Username:

Password:

remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who's Online
24 user(s) are online (23 user(s) are browsing Packard Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 24

more...

« 1 (2)

Re: 1804-5-7-8 Rear Brake Drums
Home away from home
From Philadelphia, PA
JW, some clever wag drilled out the rivets on my '54 Convertible's drums and it's a mixed bag. Although it's easier to access the rear brake shoes it's impossible to precisely align the drums to the hubs concentrically. This is because the bolt holes in the drums are larger in diameter than the lug bolts. This leaves the drums slightly eccentric with respect to the hubs and the brake shoes have to be adjusted to not contact the drums as they revolve. Even with the shoes adjusted to compensate for the eccentricity a slight pulsation is felt from the rear brakes on light application. All in all I'd rather have the drums secured concentrically to the hubs.

Attach file:

jpg  1954 Packard Rear brakes.jpg (140.35 KB)
1814_5e52096d38bdb.jpg 1080X810 px

Posted on: 2/22 21:11:36
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

Home away from home
Tom Lester had a similar problem on a car with irreplaceable drums. He had new ones turned out of blocks of steel and they worked great. Thus, the problem is not insurmountable given cash and a good machinist.

Posted on: 2/23 5:37:58

Home away from home
From Santa Fe
Quote:

Don Shields wrote:
JW, some clever wag drilled out the rivets on my '54 Convertible's drums and it's a mixed bag. Although it's easier to access the rear brake shoes it's impossible to precisely align the drums to the hubs concentrically. This is because the bolt holes in the drums are larger in diameter than the lug bolts. This leaves the drums slightly eccentric with respect to the hubs and the brake shoes have to be adjusted to not contact the drums as they revolve. Even with the shoes adjusted to compensate for the eccentricity a slight pulsation is felt from the rear brakes on light application. All in all I'd rather have the drums secured concentrically to the drums.

Don, thanks for the reply and the photo. Concentric alignment of the drums on the hubs would be a must for proper functioning brakes. Maybe some sleeves in the drum holes would fix the problem. Interesting to see that I am not the only one thinking about this. Now, back to our regular program.

Posted on: 2/23 10:43:33
55 Cipper Super Sedan (5542) - Now in Maryland

We move toward and make happen what occupies our mind. (W. Scherer)

Forum Ambassador
From New Jersey
Quality brake drums of the era and later were made by the "CentriFuse" (registered trademark) process which effectively applied via some centrifugal casting process a layer of cast iron-like alloy to the inner drum surface. This is because it has far superior frictional properties for braking than simple steel which for a while was (rather unsatisfactorily) used on early Model A Fords, and other cheap cars.

If you regularly follow along on the AACA forums you'll find a large number of threads about processes like spray welding and plasma metalization to restore a proper metal brake surface to old drums. I'm not sure how far these attempts have progressed but its important work as the supply of serviceable drums slowly diminishes.

DON'T cut drums unnecessarily, and most importantly, don't discard old drums!!

http://www.stemco.com/product/genuine-centrifuse/

Posted on: 2/23 11:39:21

Home away from home
When I say "turned out of blocks of steel" I don't mean he (Tom Lester) went down the local junk yard and picked up some old manhole covers. Obviously he spoke to metallurgists at the suppliers and bought the best materials.

I have to hand it to the guy. He had this car that was totally unsafe and made it work without buying crap out of the Summit Racing catalogue. Of course it does help if you own a big manufacturing operation.

So if you need brake drums for your Duesenberg it can be done as demonstrated by old man Lester.

Posted on: 2/24 14:52:51

« 1 (2)

[Advanced Search]

Search
Recent Photos
Random Photo
Helping Out
PackardInfo is supported and funded by user donations. If you would to help out by either donating content, or funds to help with the upkeep and hosting of this site please EMAIL ME or click on the donate button.