Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
98 user(s) are online (55 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 97

acolds, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 »

Average cost of a paint job
Home away from home
Home away from home

Garrett Meadows
See User information
Say a person buys a Packard 120 coupe that is painted egg-yolk yellow and wants to have it repainted to its original color--whatever they may have been.

What would it cost for a paint job?

AS always
Garrett

Posted on: 2020/1/17 11:28
 Top  Print 

Re: Average cost of a paint job
Home away from home
Home away from home

John
See User information
Depends on the type of paint you want to use. Be it basecoat/clearcoat or acrylic enamel with or without hardener. Also depends on color a lot of times in cost. Reds, blues seem more expensive than say a lighter color. Then of course how much prep to get it ready for a repaint.

John

Posted on: 2020/1/17 12:03
 Top  Print 

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Jim/KB1MCV
See User information
Really, that depends on how much of the prepwork you can do yourself.

If you want to give it to a shop and say "paint it for me" you can expect quotes all over the ballpark because like all work there are an amazing amount of options available.

Just to toss it out there, the question has been asked on the AACA forum and the consensus seemed to be 'around $20K'.

Be aware if a shop agrees to take your car in and do the paint/bodywork to fill in around other jobs to keep the price down, you should be prepared for a long wait, months or (lots) more.

Bottom line a simple paint job usually entails more than you planned on.

Good luck.

Posted on: 2020/1/17 12:50
 Top  Print 

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
Just for a comparison, people are always surprised that I had Macco paint my car. This was at a Macco in Calif that did a lot of old cars in addition to their normal insurance collision work.

Now, I did all the metal repair, filling,priming, blocking etc. The car was taken to them pretty much completely stripped, no trim, no glass, no rubber, no dash, no interior, etc. All they had to mask was the wheel wells and below the drip rails in engine compartment. I had already covered the steering wheel and column in a trash bag.

All did a final blocking, sealer coat, and then a base/clear coat. The hood, skirts and all the filler/splash panels were painted off the car.

The car was painted including well past the interior jams.

The did a fantastic job. But this was still a $3500 paint job, with me doing 95% of the prep labor and laying down nearly $1000 in primer.

People always ask me who painted it as car shows, and when I tell them Macco, they are always surprised. They can spray good paint. But its the prep work that makes the job.

Posted on: 2020/1/25 12:19
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

John
See User information
Kev is right there, it is the prep work that makes or breaks the outcome of a paint job.

Posted on: 2020/1/25 14:03
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packardbarry
See User information
And the cost of paint just took a big jump.

Thank God i just got a big jump in my SS.

Posted on: 2020/1/25 14:12
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Trevor
See User information
I'd say 20k is a good ballpark, as previously stated. I handed mine over to a shop and had them do everything - removal of trim, sand down to bare metal, repair and so on and I paid around that. The most expensive part was the removal and re-attachment of the trim. I just didn't have the patience to do that myself and I prefer to work on the mechanical end of things instead, where my clumsy hands won't wreck the look of the car lol

Posted on: 2020/1/26 21:27
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Fish'n Jim
See User information
https://www.bodyshopbusiness.com/automotive-refinish-formula-profitability/

Here's a ball park account of the percent costs for body shop. Paint is less than 10% of cost and that includes mark-up. So not saving much buying "cheaper" paint, but may save time, etc. EPA/OSHA has stepped in on VOCs, etc. and some OEM things are verboten.

Changing color "properly" is more work than just re-painting same.
I wouldn't look to change the color, unless the paint/etc. is shot anyway and need of restore. I'd look for another car with a color I could live with. They're always cheaper completely done. The other factor is once you get under the paint, you never know what you'll find, collision damage, could be a bondo queen or burgeoning rust bucket requiring lots of metal work. Not to mention pre-war and the "orange crate" work.

I can still do my own paint/body work, but unfortunately can not bank the cost savings. Most people will ask for receipts, proof, etc. if you say it has a $30+K paint job.
You can get a good paint job at some of the chain places, but check their work/guarantee before you commit. The one down the road may be better. Ie; are they liable for runs, orange peel, overspray, adhesion, etc. I wouldn't worry about saving a "few bucks" on paint, as the paint is the eye appeal and makes it stand out. They're not books, people judge them by their covers.

Posted on: 2020/1/27 10:51
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Newbie
See User information
Fish'n Jim, I agree with your 'take' and and the way you compartmentalize things. Good pragmatic advice. I PVR'd a few hours of the latest Barrett Jackson auction action and was blown away at the prices some of the older cars 'hammered' at. I realize that auction cars can have hidden issues and what looks shiny and spanky in the deceptive lighting of the 'runway' can have a whole other side to it, but my point is that cars that LOOK fantastic, going for 20-30K wouldn't even cover the cost of the paint job! It almost makes me wonder why a guy would go through all that is necessary to GET a new paint job; I think I'd rather go to an auction, get a paddle, and BUY one! I only caught the wind-up weekend of the 6 days of sales, but there were 3 or 4 Packards that went across the block and they looked gorgeous, most going in and around the $30K mark. I can see if one did the body and paint themselves, there would be significant pride and satisfaction to be gained, but for the rest of us, a 'body and paint' is a purchased thing, and if one can find and buy an 'already done' vehicle, it seems to me there is pretty good value in that. And (yeah, yeah) I KNOW there will be those who think it takes 'meat' out of the hobby, etc. - just sayin'..., you can probably get somebody else's efforts for around fifty cents on the buck. (or less) Chris.

Posted on: 2020/1/27 16:07
'If you think you can, or you think you can't - you're right!' Henry Ford.
1939 Packard Six, Model 1700
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Duane Gunn
See User information
A fellow club member had some antifreeze blow over his car and ruined the paint. He had a 1936 Super 8 sedan. He had insurance pay for a new paint job at $20,000 and this was about 15 years ago.
20 years ago I stripped my 1955 Clipper Custom 4 door down to bare metal and had some one paint it, for only $2500 and 3 months. I had quotes of $6,000 to $10,000 to paint my car, but that was before I had stripped all the paint off. I learned that I don't have that kind of patience, to do all the body work my car needed.

Posted on: 2020/1/27 18:58
1955 Clipper Custom
1940 160 Touring Sedan
1953 Patrician
1948 Super 8 Limo
 Top  Print 

(1) 2 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved