Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
206 user(s) are online (124 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 4
Guests: 202

Ozstatman, Ross, Don B, Rocket88, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 »

New member... Hello All
Just popping in
Just popping in

Chris
See User information
Hello all, I'm brand new to this forum. I just received the 39 110 pictured below in original condition, 22,000 miles on it. It runs very well, but there are a few things that need done, so I will undoubtedly be needing some good advice.
The car is not actually mine. It was purchased by my father in law, but I agreed to get it up to running condition for him. I love to work on old cars and have a fair amount of experience, but none with Packards or even cars of this vintage.
The first thing I would appreciate some advice about is the paint. It's in great shape, but is dirty and needs a good buffing up. I'm reluctant to do anything with a buffing wheel, not knowing how well the paint is going to hold up. I thought I might start with a simple wash, clay bar treatment, polish, and wax. I'd use Meguiar's M205 to polish, Zymol wax. Is this safe for 1939 paint?

Thanks for your help!
-T

Attach file:

jpg  (102.05 KB)
3123_4cae5836d2cd7.jpg 800X631 px

jpg  (98.71 KB)
3123_4cae58446ed99.jpg 800X513 px

jpg  (83.19 KB)
3123_4cae585173197.jpg 800X626 px

Posted on: 2010/10/7 18:31
1939 Six
 Top  Print   

Re: New member... Hello All
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
Quote:
TakinitEZ wrote: Hello all, I'm brand new to this forum. I just received the 39 110 pictured below in original condition, 22,000 miles on it. It runs very well, but there are a few things that need done, so I will undoubtedly be needing some good advice. The car is not actually mine. It was purchased by my father in law......
G'day TakinitEZ,
to PackardInfo, you'll find experienced, knowledgeable and friendly Packard people here willing to help and advise you.

The '39 does looks good and if it's OK with your father in law could you please include it in the Packard Owner's Registry here, together with a pic, any known history and how it was acquired?

Posted on: 2010/10/7 19:07
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print   

Registry challenge?
Just popping in
Just popping in

Chris
See User information
OK, so first I thought it would be best for my father in law to register his car since I'm sure he'll want to be on this forum as well. But then I'd like to get help on it while I'm working on it. Can two people register the same vehicle?

Secondly, I don't see an area for 1939 110. Did they change to the 110 in 1940? Maybe I need some help correctly identifying the car. Will get ID numbers for another post.

-T

Posted on: 2010/10/8 8:52
1939 Six
 Top  Print   

Re: Registry challenge?
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Welcome to you and your father in law. A very nice looking car.

Wish I could help on the paint but the pre war guys would have to answer that with any authority. Believe most all Packard paint was nitrocellulose lacquer though.

The 39 fact bookhttps://www.packardinfo.com/xoops/html/downloads/1939_DataBook.pdf doesn't mention a 110--just the six-- so again, another question for the experts. Maybe they are all still at Hershey but surely they will be chiming in soon.

While nowhere near as complete as the postwar items, there are a few manuals and other information for the 39 on site.https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/article/view.category.php?33

Posted on: 2010/10/8 9:36
 Top  Print   

ID numbers
Just popping in
Just popping in

Chris
See User information
Thanks for these links HH, very helpful. I checked for numbers on the firewall and engine and found the following:

VIN: I282-4187
Head: 824286
Block: 000877

I'll try to look these up. -T

Posted on: 2010/10/8 9:53
1939 Six
 Top  Print   

Re: ID numbers
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Here is the model info for your body number.https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/modelinfo/viewmodel.php?modelnum=1282&ButtonLookup=Go

The engine numbers you posted are most likely casting numbers. Actual part numbers usually changed after machining and will in most cases be different. Am not totally familiar with the six, but if same as the 8, engine number will be stamped on a smoothed area on drivers side somewhere toward the middle of block and just below the head parting line. Probably in area of dist. If original engine is still in the car, should start with a letter B and format would be Bxxxxx.

Almost all Packard info references the motor number and the body number. The large embossed number on firewall would be of interest to one of our members who is keeping a database. Unfortunately, even though it is the only permanent non removable number on the car, there are very few records surviving since Packard only used if for internal purposes.

Posted on: 2010/10/8 10:09
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

John Harley
See User information
TakinitEZ

Packard wasn't consistent with the nomenclature of their cars, the 110 became a 115 then a "Six" and then a 110 again in 1940. Some of us call them 110's regardless of the year. I do have a friend who has a 1938 "Eight" and objects it to being called a 120..

Regards

John Harley

Posted on: 2010/10/8 16:55
 Top  Print   

Just popping in
Just popping in

Chris
See User information
The naming does seem inconsistent, even on this site. So it's either a Six or 110, but it's definitely a 39.

Thanks again HH for the link. That's what I was looking for but I had trouble finding it.

Tomorrow I'll start cleaning it up and see how the paint likes hand polishing.

-T

Posted on: 2010/10/9 0:22
1939 Six
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
John, you are right it is difficult to determine the proper nomenclature for the 1937-42 Packard 6-cylinder motor cars. The best I can determine is the following:

1937 - Six and/or 115C

1938 and 1939 - Six

1940 - 1942 - 110

Regardless they are a Packard.

(o{I}o)

Posted on: 2010/10/9 9:57
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
Couple of pic's of location of '39 Six engine numbers.

Attach file:

jpg  (22.27 KB)
226_4cb0f2537ffd3.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (46.07 KB)
226_4cb0f25f28d58.jpg 640X480 px

Posted on: 2010/10/9 17:53
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print   

(1) 2 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved