Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
211 user(s) are online (116 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 210

moodydavid16, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Packard Project Article in Autoweek
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Vicsik1969
See User information
Not sure if everyone has seen this:

http://e.ccialerts.com/a/hBQCYWpAGmKL2AfOP7sAtU$tjT-/awo26191

By: Graham Kozak on 7/19/2012
Related Articles

My first car was an Ultramatic-equipped 1951 Packard 200 sedan. To this day I'm not entirely sure why my parents allowed me to buy it late in summer 2005. I like to think it was because they trusted my maturity and judgment. In reality, pure scientific interest probably drove them to let me drive the Packard. It was, after all, the perfect opportunity to put Darwin's theory to the test.

Set a kid in a car with no power steering, no collapsible steering column, no seatbelts and no airbags. Let it all ride on a set of bias ply tires stopped--under ideal circumstances--by drum brakes. Turn him loose in modern traffic. If he survives, he's fit to carry on the family name.

I made it, as did the Packard.

I had no particular inclination toward Packards. I settled on the car because I wanted a classic that was reliable and, above all else, affordable.

The straight-eight-powered 1951 fit the bill mostly because it was produced in record numbers. It is therefore all but uncollectable today. But the factors that make an old car unsuitable as a collector item can make it a good candidate for a daily driver. Packard parts are easy to come by, so destroying a rear differential months after taking ownership wasn't a budget buster.

The clean styling and the sterling reputation that accompany the Packard name were nice bonuses. I would have been happy with nearly anything from that era. I often wonder what sort of man I would have become if I had found an affordable Nash Ambassador.

As bulletproof as the Packard was, a partial restoration by a previous owner only delayed the onset of bodywork issues. By 2009, the rigors of college life meant that I couldn't give the car the attention it needed to remain on the road. Rocker panels and floorpans needed to be cut out and replaced before rust spread. I was in over my head.

Instead of selling it, like a sensible person, I decided to tear it all down and restore it.

A few years and one garage fire later, I'm still working on it. But I'm more determined than ever to get the car back on the road. My never-ending restoration project now has a due date: the 2012 Woodward Dream Cruise.

That's one month away.

How does it feel to be up against a rapidly approaching deadline? Ask the man who owns a 1951 Packard now in pieces. Stay tuned for updates as the Aug. 18 event draws closer.

Read more:http://www.autoweek.com/article/20120719/collector/120719848#ixzz21BZR07Rn

Posted on: 2012/7/20 12:40
 Top  Print   

Re: Packard Project Article in Autoweek
Home away from home
Home away from home

Gary
See User information
Well its reassuring to see the maturity and enthusiasm that this young man is displaying in his article. I don't know how old he is but young enough to say that it's almost becoming a rarity to see someone his age owning a Packard or ANY other old classic. The last "Cruise-in" that I went to a few weeks ago, there wasn't a car owner there under 50 so kuddo's to this young lad.

Posted on: 2012/7/20 14:02
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

RogerDetroit
See User information
Yes, I met Graham Kozak in July of 2007 after I read this article about him in Hemmings:http://www.hemmings.com/hcc/stories/2007/07/01/hmn_feature25.html

As you can tell from the article he has a great sense of humor. Upon reading the article I invited him to Motor City Packard's annual Ice Cream Social. We gather at a friendly car spot, bring out several flavors of ice cream and a lot of toppings. Then we turn you loose and you build your own sundae. The ice cream social we had last weekend brought out 80 people.

Anyway, in 2007 Graham drove out with his girlfriend and I think he had a good time. A number of members gave him some advice about his car. He was still in high school at the time. He may have even joined the club for a year - I can't remember. My general impression was that he was busy with school and our crowd was a bit too old for him.

Graham, if you are listening, then we would like to have you back - you'd make a good ambassador for Packard.

Posted on: 2012/7/20 14:55
-

1941 Model 160 Convertible Sedan
[url=https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/registry
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
Graham Kozak is one of us, a PackardInfo member and his '51 200 Deluxe Touring Sedan is in the Registry. He was recently chasing some parts for it in this post.

Posted on: 2012/7/20 15:41
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

RogerDetroit
See User information
Hello Graham:

PM has been sent.

Best, --Roger--

Posted on: 2012/7/20 15:55
-

1941 Model 160 Convertible Sedan
[url=https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/registry
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved