Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
46 user(s) are online (33 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 45

28Mack, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Clutch Pedal Iron Squeak
Home away from home
Home away from home

Bob J
See User information
Upon driving my 37 I found that there is some side to side play in the clutch pedal iron. Depressing the pedal resulted in the outboard side of the iron rubbing against the opening in the toe board and causing an annoying squeak.
I could avoid the squeak if I remembered to keep my foot to the left side of the pedal and push the pedal to the right as well as down, but this was easily forgotten and slightly awkward.
I know you could (should maybe?) remove the iron and machine it to insert a bushing to rid this, but it is not that worn, just annoying, so I found a simple solution.
I took a piece of 3/4" thick nylon block and cut an "L" section from it, about 2" on the long leg and 1" on the short leg. The wall thickness was a consistent 1/4" wide.
I then took this 3/4" wide x 1/4" thick "L" and after lifting the carpet, simply inserted it into the left side of the slotted hole in the toe board with the 1" leg going into the slotted hole and the 2" leg resting on the top surface of the toe board pointing towards the kick board panel. Laying the carpet down sandwiches the part under the carpet and retains it in position. Now the pedal iron rubs soundlessly against the nylon with the squeak gone. You could drill a hole in the 2" long leg and then use a sheet metal screw to hold it in if you found that your carpet did not hold it tight enough.
Here's to quiet touring!
Bob J.

Posted on: Today 13:40
 Top  Print   
Like (1)

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved