Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
134 user(s) are online (90 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 133

humanpotatohybrid, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

356 thermostat housing
Home away from home
Home away from home

Mark Graber
See User information
RE: 47 Custom 356
Trying to figure out the attachment of the thermo housing without benefit of the block for inspection.

From the parts book, I conclude that the housing attaches to the block via one 3/8 bolt into the block and one 3/8 head stud from the block.

Can anyone confirm this?
Thanks,
Mark

Posted on: 2013/12/2 0:21
 Top  Print   

Re: 356 thermostat housing
Home away from home
Home away from home

BDeB
See User information
Quote:

Mark Graber wrote:
RE: 47 Custom 356
Trying to figure out the attachment of the thermo housing without benefit of the block for inspection.
From the parts book, I conclude that the housing attaches to the block via one 3/8 bolt into the block and one 3/8 head stud from the block.
Can anyone confirm this?
Thanks,
Mark

Yes, Stud at the front and bolt at the back.
There is a good illustration in the parts list on the page opposite the valve section.

Posted on: 2013/12/2 1:17
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Interesting. Is there a reason for or something that goes on the stud? Water jacket perhaps? Mine came back from machine shop with two bolts about 2 1/4" long with lockwashers. Now would be a good time to change if there is a reason.

Posted on: 2013/12/2 9:36
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
My 47 Custom's thermostat housing is also fastened to the head with two bolts, no stud.

(o{}o)

Posted on: 2013/12/2 11:19
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Just anecdotal information, I don't know what the factory history is on this. Almost all of the seemingly unmolested prewar 160s and 180s I've seen have the stud (forward) and bolt. I can't recall ever seeing that arrangement on a postwar 356, but it were there originally, there's a good chance is was simply discarded in favor of a bolt when the head might have been removed for some reason. Certainly to surface the head you'd have to remove the stud. The only reasons that come to mind for the stud would be to help partially align the gasket or hold the housing in place if the housing was removed with the hose intact, but that seems pretty slim.

Posted on: 2013/12/2 11:58
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Do the prewar outlets empty with the hose going forward passing over the hole or do they angle off to the passenger side like the postwars do?

Posted on: 2013/12/2 12:22
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JD in KC
See User information
Quote:

JW wrote:
My 47 Custom's thermostat housing is also fastened to the head with two bolts, no stud.

(o{}o)

All three of my 356's have two bolts no stud (all are post-war).

Posted on: 2013/12/2 13:07
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

packard1949
See User information
Just replaced the thermo on my 47 356-I had a stud forward and bolt on the rear. Hard part is getting the sleeve out that holds the thero in. Grab it at the split and carefully pull it out!

Posted on: 2013/12/2 19:48
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

packard1949
See User information
Just replaced the thermo on my 47 356-I had a stud forward and bolt on the rear. Hard part is getting the sleeve out that holds the thero in. Grab it at the split and carefully pull it out!

Posted on: 2013/12/2 19:48
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved