Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
181 user(s) are online (86 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 179

ThomasHX, BigKev, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Starter Problems
Home away from home
Home away from home

53 Cavalier
See User information
I recently had my starter rebuilt and now it's having some issues. Sometimes it doesn't seems to fully disengage. It'll be fine for several starts, and then it's not. I haven't pulled it yet, but going to do that this afternoon after work.

The shop replaced the drive because the front of the gear on the other was chewed up a bit, which is a bit interesting. I wonder if what is happening now happened before?

Click to see original Image in a new window

Here's a short video of the noise.
drive.google.com/file/d/1duuFMiKRW-DSePSy1ULigGRXDx0IcoSJ/view?usp=drivesdk

If it's making this noise, I shut the car off and then start it again and sometimes it's good and sometimes it makes that same noise again. I find that if it's making this noise, after I shut the car off and if I just bump the starter, then start the car that it's okay. The starter never did this before, but the gear was also chewed up a bit.

Do you think I'm looking at a drive issue or a flywheel issue? I didn't look at all the teeth on the flywheel, but the ones I could see when I changed the starter looked okay.

Click to see original Image in a new window

I did try loosening the starter and repositioning it to see if that small amount of movement would help, but still the same.

Any thoughts??

Posted on: Today 11:15
 Top  Print   

Re: Starter Problems
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
When they replaced the starter drive did they replace the entire Bendix or just disassemble to do the gear. If Bendix replaced did they use the same anti kickout type mentioned on page 35 and if so could there be a possibility one of the pins is damaged, missing, or intermittent in doing its job to keep the drive pinion away from the ring gear.

I couldn't tell in the video if the engine had started and was still running and the starter kept trying to engage electrically but if that is a possibility could you disconnect the carb starter switch and energize the solenoid via jumper to start the engine so as to rule out issues with the wiring or starter switch sticking.

Posted on: Today 11:49
Howard
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved