Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
208 user(s) are online (94 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 3
Guests: 205

Packard Don, 53 Cavalier, Pete '56, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Fan belt
Home away from home
Home away from home

jsa03781
See User information
I have a 48 custom. What manufacturer are people using for their fan belts? When I replaced mine the new one was ribbed and now the engine whines. There has to be something better than this out there.

Thanks

Posted on: Today 3:20
1948 Custom Eight
1950 Super Eight Convertible
 Top  Print   

Re: Fan belt
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
For a good many years now John Ulrich has been the source for an OEM replica belt. I haven't heard recently if they are still available but an answer is just a phone call away.

Posted on: Today 11:24
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

53 Cavalier
See User information
Do you mean ribbed like this one? I put this on my 53 Cavalier a month or so ago and didn't notice any change in sound. Actually it got rid of one noise, which was the voice in my head telling me it was probably a bad idea to drive around with a 50 year old fan belt!

Maybe your belt is too tight and causing your generator or water pump to make noise?

Click to see original Image in a new window

Posted on: Today 14:10
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
Personally I avoid the notched belts but for me it's mainly the cosmetics and it's getting harder to find them without. On the 1948 Custom, though, the belt is very wide so I can imagine it making noise.

Posted on: Today 14:35
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Last I heard John Ulrich no longer had a belt supplier and did not have any more wide 356 belts to sell. If that is the case I believe the Napa and Dayco belts that are listed in the parts x-ref are the only current options. Photos of those belts on the Napa and Summit websites would indicate both have the notches on the back side.

Posted on: Today 14:44
Howard
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved