Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
228 user(s) are online (110 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 227

CarFreak, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Correct Engine Color
Just popping in
Just popping in

Jmurphy
See User information
Does anybody know the paint code or formula for the engine on a 1956 Packard Executive? I know its green metallic with silver valve covers, just looking for code or where to purchase.

Posted on: 2012/1/4 9:54
 Top  Print   

Re: Correct Engine Color
Home away from home
Home away from home

bkazmer
See User information
check out Bill Hirsch

Posted on: 2012/1/4 10:07
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
As I recall there was an earlier discussion on this and unless things have recently changed, consensus was that the 56 greenish color for the 352 is the one that none of the vendors have(had). Hirsch has the 55 turquoise blue/green but not the 56.

He was willing to have some made but at the time he needed a good original painted piece to color match from. Don't know if he ever found it.

Posted on: 2012/1/4 10:26
Howard
 Top  Print   

Just popping in
Just popping in

Jmurphy
See User information
Thanks, no luck at Bill Hirsch, they stop at 55, no green metallic. Kanter sold us bronze which is incorrect for executive. Frustrated!

Posted on: 2012/1/4 10:26
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

BH
See User information
Gee, you'd think the folks at Kanter would know better. Even the Exec sales folder shows a green engine, not bronze. Sadly, no one, but Packard, has ever offered this engine color, though it was also used on all 56th Series Clipper engines.

My notes from several years ago showed Dupont Dulux 5227DH as a close match to the original bright metallic green used on these engines. Though NOT an engine enamel, per se, several owners have reported good luck with acrylic enamel on engines. Yet, I don't think any paint will hold where the intake meets the head for the exhaust crossover.

While this formula may now be obsolete, the color may give you a starting point to cross-reference to some other.

BTW, does anyone have a good match/cross to the silver used on the 56th Series painted valve covers?

Posted on: 2012/1/4 10:51
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
HH56's recollection on having Bill Hirsch make the 56 green paint is correct, I was the one who made contact with Bill about it. In a nutshell, he said he'd never be able to sell the minimum quantity he'd have to order but that he'd be willing to do it anyway just to be able to offer full range of Packard engine paints as long as someone would provide him with a specimen part with good, original color.

We asked on this site for that sample, but alas - no one came forward.

Other than color, there is nothing special about these engine enamels.

Posted on: 2012/1/4 14:32
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
G'day Jmurphy,
Like to you to PackardInfo but sorry, can't help with the engine paint colour match. Instead I invite you to include your '56 Executive to the Packard Owner's Registry here on PackardIndo!

Posted on: 2012/1/4 14:33
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved