Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
89 user(s) are online (64 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 89

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

What's it worth?
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Miles Whetham
See User information
Hello All,
I have a chance to buy a 1950 Packard Club Sedan. I haven't looked at it yet but the old guy who has it, and I trust him, says it is a rust free car originally from California. It has the straight 8 engine and overdrive. He had it running about 3 years ago. He says it's all there and untouched and has been sitting in his shed for many years. He doesn't know if the engine is original but has no reason to think it's not. I want to be fair to the guy but I just don't know what to offer him. He says he doesn't really know what it's worth. Any wisdom available,

Thanks,
Miles

Posted on: 2016/6/15 11:11
 Top  Print   

Re: What's it worth?
Home away from home
Home away from home

Steve
See User information
Hi crotomac
I don't have any experience with that year/model Packard...yet, in order to put a price on anything...(especially a car) it requires a lot of missing information so people can determine its value. I don't believe anybody on the forum will be able to help you specifically, there are always general attributes that can be offered but they may or may not be germane to this particular car. I might suggest you go and look at the car, inspect it, photograph it, check on any paperwork available, confirm and photo the ID plate to verify model and get a gut opinion especially if it starts and you can go for a ride...or better....the owner would allow you to drive it. Rust is usually always an issue as well as mechanical issues. Crawl under it, take pictures, inside take pictures, inspect the trunk take pictures, and under the hood lots of pictures. Then, post pix's, ask questions of this forum and perhaps you can get the information you are looking for. I hope this helps.
Steve

Posted on: 2016/6/15 12:58
Steve
Old cars are my passion

1951 Packard 200
1953 Packard Clipper Custom Touring Sedan
1955 Dodge Custom Royal Lancer Tri-tone
1966 Rambler Classic 770 Convertible
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JD in KC
See User information
Since it has overdrive we know it's not a Custom since the Custom came with the Ultramatic as standard equipment in 1950. But it could be a Super 8 (327ci on 127" wheelbase) or, it could be a Super Deluxe 8 with most of the Custom trim... or... it could be an Eight/Deluxe Eight (288ci on 120" wheelbase). Pretty much impossible to give any kind of guesstimate without knowing the model and some good photos showing condition.

Posted on: 2016/6/15 13:21
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

FREDERICK E WILEY
See User information
All of the above replies are correct, but the main thing is to look at the Model Plate under the hood and get the exact model number. As a recent purchaser, I looked all over the net comparing my car price to others in the same ,better or worse condition to arrive at a fair price.I also flew 2500 miles to see the car. Although my car was a driver and in great condition, a lot of little things that did need fixing and things we found that needed attention really add up to a lot of dollars. I want my car to be a dependable driver, If I want to drive 100 miles to a parade or show or relatives house. I have spent over three thousand in parts and repairs and I am still not through. We had about 8 family members here Sunday for dinner and they all wanted to ride in the Packard. That took about 3 hours, but we had a lot of fun out riding. Good luck with your possible purchase.

Posted on: 2016/6/15 13:56
Fred in Florida

1948 Deluxe Eight Sedan 2262
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Craig the Clipper Man
See User information
The folks who responded to your post definitely know what they are talking about and are giving you sound advice. My question is: Is this the first antique car you are considering? I think that if it is in good condition, it could be a great car to own.

As Fred said, be aware that owning an antique car is not a cheap hobby. You better know what you are getting into before you sign the check. That said, however, the joy and fun of owning my Clipper more than justifies the money I have spent maintaining it. It is the niggling little things that can drive you batty sometimes!

There is plenty of great reference material about Packards on this website. Where I disagree with JD is the fact that a buyer could order a Custom with a manual transmission and overdrive in 1950. I have seen a Custom Constellation similar to mine with a factory three on the tree.

One final thought ... you may be able to find similar cars for sale in Hemmings Motor News (Hemmings.com). Didn't the owner give you any idea about what he would like to get for his car? Most sellers I have know can usually give you a figure.

Posted on: 2016/6/15 15:15
You can make a lot of really neat things from the parts left over after you rebuild your engine ...
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
Good advice from the above posts.

The 23rd Series Club Sedans, whether a junior or senior model, are attractive and highly sought after. Keep in mind the body and interior work are the most expensive. Avoid rust. Mechanicals are relatively easy to work on and most parts are available. Do you plan on doing some or all of the work yourself? If not, count on shop rates approaching $100 per hour, parts and supplies extra.

Another factor to consider is an enclosed place to keep it. Keeping a car out in the weather is not recommended.

As has been said here and elsewhere, buy the very best car you can afford. Better to be driving and enjoying it rather than working on it. Good luck on your search.

(o{}o)

Posted on: 2016/6/15 17:23
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Fish'n Jim
See User information
drivers range from about $8K to $23-26k for a pristine original survivor based on sales/asking info. Mid teens is about the asking median I've seen. So if it's solid/all there, not running, $8-12K asking is not unrealistic depending on condition, but if you look around you might find a much better one, running, for nearly the same money.
If it's not running, I have a std way of handling that, but the old guy probably won't go there. It's always an emotional deal when the owner is elderly and a long time owner. If you don't know these cars, take someone with you that does. You can get into significant money, for a car that won't bring that much more after it's spent. Just for info, I've got $6K just in chrome plating for my '49 and that does not include the bumpers. Motor rebuild ~$4k, but I don't spend money for a 100 HP flat head. Can't get gas tanks for these. Interior materials are hard to find.
Something this old will have electrical and/or drive train issues. And sitting; fuel, brake, and cooling system problems. They actually need to sell for negative money to make out.
You can find most of the info you need to authenticate / identify the vehicle on this site if you do it yourself.
These post war cars aren't that desirable stock or they'd bring alot more money. I happen to like the fastback design.

Posted on: 2016/6/15 20:48
 Top  Print   

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Miles Whetham
See User information
Thanks for the advice guys. As you can see by my original post, I do have a 42 club sedan and I really like the fastback look. I am going to see the car next week and hopefully I can get it at a reasonable price. I don't intend on putting a fortune into the car. I have a couple restored cars and have found now that I prefer to just find old originals and get them on the road again. It takes a lot less money and I enjoy driving them just as much and I don't have to worry so much about scratches or someone leaning up against the car. Anyway, thanks again.
Miles

Posted on: 2016/6/16 12:02
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved