Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
206 user(s) are online (109 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 206

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

How many different threads were there?
Home away from home
Home away from home

patgreen
See User information
How many major "standard" threads were in use in the thirties?

ASA, British standard, Whitworth Standard, Metric and?????????

Were they simply different sizes, or did any offer advantages of any sort, such as (possibly) deeper threads?

Posted on: 2012/9/8 14:28
When two men ride the same horse, one has to be in the back...
 Top  Print   

Re: How many different threads were there?
Home away from home
Home away from home

John Harley
See User information
Pat

If you're really interested, there was an article in Skinned Knuckles in the past two years. I shoud have kept it, but have been trying to keep my life in order by cuting down on literature retention .

The short answer to the question is "mind boggling" "I had difficulty keeping track of the permutations

Regards

John Harley

Posted on: 2012/9/8 15:54
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

dallas
See User information
Unknown!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted on: 2012/9/8 15:56
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Tim Cole
See User information
USS (aka UNC coarse), UNF (aka SAE or fine), ACME, ASME, Naval Interference, Metric, BSW (British Standard Whitworth), BSF, BSP, NPT, BA (British Association). And who knows what goes on in Russia and China.

There are also systems for sheet metal, wood, lag and all those other screws and bolts.

Before World War I Packard chose to ignore the SAE convention and it was using things like 5/16-16 and 1/4-26 bolts all over its cars which is a nightmare. After the war they had to get their act together.

There is a whole discipline as regards the crown of the thread.

Of the above forgotten systems, the Naval Interference thread is long overdue for a revival. It is a self locker dating back to the days of steam power that would prevent some of the modern day failures taking place due to industry's preference to hire only the dumbest and most substance dependent labor. The number one priority in every hiring manager's brain is "It's not what you can do but how you are going to suck up."

Posted on: 2012/9/8 17:59
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Guscha
See User information
Quote:
... And who knows what goes on in Russia ...

Russia went metric 1899 and the whole Soviet Union 1917 in the year of foundation.

Click to see original Image in a new window

[picture source: www.vintprom.ru]

Posted on: 2013/7/3 6:51
The story of ZIS-110, ZIS-115, ZIL-111 & Chaika GAZ-13 on www.guscha.de
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Mr.Pushbutton
See User information
Tim, one other thing: Employers are looking for someone who works cheap, and knowledge isn't very valuable these days.

Posted on: 2013/7/3 10:14
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Less commonly encountered are double, triple and quadruple lead threads. These are often in Acme thread on very special applications where a high rate of advancement per turn is desired. Anyone interested in such things and mechanically curious should really pick up a book like the attached.

Attach file:

jpg  (93.24 KB)
177_51d44534cfebd.jpg 1280X1056 px

Posted on: 2013/7/3 10:37
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

BlackBeerd
See User information
Quote:

MrPushbutton on 2013/7/3 8:14:16

Tim, one other thing: Employers are looking for someone who works cheap, and knowledge isn't very valuable these days.

Knowledge is very valuable these days. But companies don't want to hire it, they what to buy it ala carte. So much of what I do in my shop, could be done cheaper in house by my customers, but they don't want to pay the kind of wages it would require to hire a skilled person. It ends up costing them more in the long run.

And speaking of threads, I have a big pile parts in the shop right now that I'm machining in a 5 inch-10tpi thread.

Posted on: 2013/7/4 6:48
1954 Clipper Super Touring Sedan -5462
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved