Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
132 user(s) are online (94 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 132

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Purchase assistance needed
Just popping in
Just popping in

DeputyBill
See User information
I have wanted to own a Packard for most of my life. Am in my early seventies and better jump before it's too late. I saw a frame off restored 1955 Constellation Hardtop(yellow/white) on eBay. It is a very beautiful car and is priced in the mid forties. I have very little mechanical know how, just love Packards and would like to get one as I said. Could someone give me some help in giving me their opinion on the 1955 model and what a car like this would be valued at. Also, is the torsion -level ride something that would require constant maintenance? Thanks for any help you can give me.

Posted on: 2017/1/12 16:02
 Top  Print   

Re: Purchase assistance needed
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Cli55er
See User information
saw that car...pretty clean. its worth what you are willing to pay for it. but my two cents. its way overpriced.

http://nadaguides.com/Classic-Cars/1955/Packard/Clipper-Constellation/2-Door-Hardtop/Values

Posted on: 2017/1/12 16:20
1937 Packard 138-CD Deluxe Touring Limousine
Maroon/Black 1090-1021
[url=https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/registry/View.php?ID=232]1955 Packard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

64avanti
See User information
Appears to be a very nice car, I have not seen a V8 Clipper sell for over 22K for the last 5 years & this is watching many many venues. If this is as good as it looks, it could push 30K but it would not return that value come sale time.
If it really is that nice & all it costs it a couple of grand on exit-well has a woman ever cost you that little?

Posted on: 2017/1/12 17:50
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Unless the owner did all the work himself, if it was a frame off resto I expect he has more than the asking price in the car. I agree that for a Clipper it is overpriced and except for a Caribbean, maybe even for a Packard too. I doubt he will recoup his investment.

Weak spots in 55s were the transmission and in V8s of both years, engine oiling issues. If the car has had the transmission updates as issued by Packard at the time and any later updates found by experience and installed by competent mechanics it should be as reliable as the 56s have become. Modern fluids and linings are a big improvement over the original fluids and cork linings but options to install a modern GM transmission are also available. The engine oiling issue is an ongoing subject with both 55 and 56 cars. The latest solution seems to be installation of an Olds oil pump conversion to eliminate the original pump and some of the perceived issues it might have had. Many of those conversions have been installed to apparently complete satisfaction. The oil pump replacement does require the removal of the crankcase mounted aux vacuum pump for the windshield wiper motor so that is another project to consider. Some have installed electric wipers and others have reverted back to dual function fuel pumps to supply the aux vacuum source.

Torsion level is quite reliable and requires no special maintenance. 55 is a bit different than 56 with the 55 electrical components all being under the car and a slightly different mechanical arrangement. The exposed electrical components are subject to road moisture and being hit by debris. If it still has the original 55 control switch then as long as waterproofing is kept intact over the exposed terminals and the bracket the limit switch and solenoids are mounted on is not bent or damaged by road debris all should be fine.

Posted on: 2017/1/12 18:25
Howard
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
G'day DeputyBill,
to PackardInfo. If you purchase the '55 Constellation Hardtop I invite you to include it in the Packard Owner's Registry.

Posted on: 2017/1/12 18:38
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved