Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
70 user(s) are online (48 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 69

Don Shields, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

It's Not A Packard, But...
Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
Hello All,

The Hot Rod arrived last week.

First a little background. I sold the 2007 Honda S2000 and started looking for a Studebaker Avanti to replace it. After doing a lot of research and looking at a couple of Avantis, I decided that this was not the car for me. What I really wanted was a hot rod. I started looking online and found a few cars that had the look I was wanting and were within my budget. They were scattered all over the country.

I went down to the Austin Speed Shop and asked around if there were any hot rods like I was looking for on the market around here. They were not aware of any, but suggested I look on the Craigslists in surrounding cities. I started looking and got on to the San Antonio site. There the car was, and it was right here in Austin!

After some back and forth and working around the seller's schedule - he works for a company that does clean rooms and air curtains - we got together, and after looking at and driving the car, made and offer that was accepted. There was some more delay in getting the car in that he could not locate the title that day. The title was found in their safe deposit box. We completed the deal about three weeks later.

This car was built to resemble those that were built in the mid- to late-1950s. It has the classic or nostalgic styling that is sought after these days. It is based on a 1930-31 Ford Model A Roadster. Basically - except for the engine, transmission, rear end, and a few other parts - these modern, but old school looking hot rods are built out of parts from catalogs.

It has an all steel replica body by Brookville. This is mounted to a 1932 Ford type frame by American Stamping. The engine is a 283 V-8 out of a 1967 Chevy that has been rebuilt and has had some chrome pieces added. The transmission is a rebuilt mid-70s GM Turbo 350 Hydramatic with a Lokar shifter. The rear end is out of a Ford Granada and is of the "8-Inch" type. It has Coker Excelsior Stahl Sport Radial tires with big ones on the back and small ones on the front. The front axle is a forged 2-inch dropped type from Chassis Engineering. Disc brakes have been fitted to the front. It has other features like a new aluminum radiator and a recent rewiring of the electrical system. The instruments are by Stewart Warner. It also came with a LeBaron Bonney folding and removable fabric top. I prefer to have the rod be topless.

The car was build in Cicero, Indiana starting in 1999 and finished in 2002. The builder sold the car in 2008 to a Texas buyer, and then this buyer sold the car to the person from whom I bought it from in 2009. It is well build with quality parts and assembly.

I have been in contact with the builder who is a mechanical engineer at Delphi Electronics, a former GM division. He has been most generous sharing information on his work. I was also give a few photos that show the car being built. It is nice to have this contact back to the beginning.

The builder has asked to have the first opportunity to buy the car should I ever decide to sell it. I think this is the ultimate compliment.

Come by any time for your free Hot Rod ride.

Now, back to the Packards.

(o[]o)

Attach file:

jpg  (43.69 KB)
565_4fe3404a791ba.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (39.85 KB)
565_4fe3406551948.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (39.96 KB)
565_4fe3408297380.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (47.75 KB)
565_4fe3409240359.jpg 640X480 px

Posted on: 2012/6/21 10:45
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print   

Re: It's Not A Packard, But...
Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
SUperb!!! I couldn't have pick a nicer one for myself. Only change i would make is to put a larger diameter steering wheel on it. Congratulations.

Posted on: 2012/6/21 10:52
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=7245
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Very nice. I'd say something about lost youth but since we're close to the same, had better let it go.. The Avanti would have tempted me though.

Posted on: 2012/6/21 11:12
Howard
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
Quote:
JW wrote:...Come by any time for your free Hot Rod ride...
John,
The Hot Rodder in me, still bubbling below the surface, says

Next time I swing by Austin I'll hold you to that promise, and a ride in your Packards too!

Posted on: 2012/6/21 15:22
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Steve
See User information
JW, find a set of Packard hub caps that fit and you'll have everyone scratching their head trying to figure out what you have

Posted on: 2012/6/21 16:05
Steve
Old cars are my passion

1951 Packard 200
1953 Packard Clipper Custom Touring Sedan
1955 Dodge Custom Royal Lancer Tri-tone
1966 Rambler Classic 770 Convertible
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Garrett Cuellar
See User information
Lookin' forward to seeing your cars next Lonestar Roundup. That would be very nostalgic, getting to cruise congress and eat at Top Notch.

Congrats,

-Garrett

Posted on: 2012/6/21 16:24
Garrett

1952 200 Deluxe Touring Sedan

" If you don't go when you want to go, when you do go, you'll find you've gone"- Burt Munro
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved