Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
78 user(s) are online (62 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 76

Jimmyk, jgrohn, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2)

Re: Muriatic Acid to clean engine cooling system
Home away from home
Home away from home

Marty or Marston
See User information
Speaking as a retired chemist go with the oxalic acid (OA)approach mentioned above. Du Pont use to have a radiator/engine flush kit that used OA and sodium bicarbonate as a neutralizer.

Both muriatic and sulfuric acid are way to strong and aggressive for this application. Also, more hazardous to use.

I've used OA on about 5 engines with great success. While you cannot get the Du Pont kit any longer you can find OA available. Read the various post on this web site and you can see the best way to use it for cleaning your system.

Posted on: 2016/7/17 22:04
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Ross
See User information
My local boating supply store had Oxalic acid for sale on the shelf--I think it was intended for bleaching teak.

Posted on: 2016/7/18 5:24
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

BDC
See User information

Posted on: 2016/7/18 7:12
I can explain it to you but I can't understand it for you

Bad company corrupts good character!

Farming: the art of losing money while working 100 hours a week to feed people who think you are trying to kill them
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Joe Santana
See User information
Yesterday a fellow suggested draining the radiator, block and head and refilling with vinegar. Circulate, then rinse with baking soda and water. Then flush and refill. What are pros and cons of Vinegar vs Oxalic Acid?

Posted on: 2016/7/18 12:31
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Oxalic is more effective than acetic (vinegar) acid, and less likely to cause problems; acetic will be aggressive to the brass and solder in the radiator.

Posted on: 2016/7/18 12:35
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Fish'n Jim
See User information
You do not want to use strong acids: hydrochloric(muriatic), sulfuric, or nitric in your engine block. They do not discriminate between deposits and good metal and evolve nascent hydrogen which can affect the cast iron leading to brittleness/cracks. There's always one guy that thinks he got away with it and then tells the next guy, and the unsuspecting next guy has issues.
Depends on the source of the fouling, no one size fits all here.
If hard water had been used in the cooling system it will have a lot of calcium and magnesium oxides/carbonates in the deposits and oxalic will not remove it. Oxalic will form a hard insoluble solid with it(make worse). It's also the main component of kidney stones. Reaction much like soap scum(fatty acids) where the soap sodium fatty acid salt exchanges with the calcium to make the hard/insoluble salt(scum). CLR/limeaway type products use hydroxyacetic acid, different than vinegar(acetic). Vinegar is weak and just isn't that effective.
If it's crusty rust, then maybe one of the organic rust removers might be an option. Evaporust is a common brand and does not harm the other metals. You'd have to block off the outlets and fill the cooling jacket. Try on a small part first like the outlet/thermostat housing. You'll have to flush out the black ppt after cleaning with another flush. The problem will be you won't know the condition of the internal passages. Some may be rusted very thin and not hold up and your block could be trash.
They use TSPP in the Prestone hot radiator flush product. I've used it but sure it will not cure this issue. Takes away the oily glycolic acid residues mostly.
There are commercial passivated acids that are used specifically for cleaning cooling systems, but I'm not advocating that for the consumer/DIY trade. If you go to rebuild, they'll bake, wash, or boil out the block to remove the fouling and check/clean the passages.
The other thing is where is the fouling? In the block or the radiator, or both. You'll have to cure both to solve an over temperature problem.
This is one of the more common problems in vintage motors, and is the result of lack of care since new and normal aging. One can't restore everything in any condition. Sometime you have to change/upgrade parts. Consult with a radiator shop if the radiator is plugged.

Posted on: 2016/7/18 16:47
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Fish'n Jim
See User information
You do not want to use strong acids: hydrochloric(muriatic), sulfuric, or nitric in your engine block. They do not discriminate between deposits and good metal and evolve nascent hydrogen which can affect the cast iron leading to brittleness/cracks. There's always one guy that thinks he got away with it and then tells the next guy, and the unsuspecting next guy has issues.
Depends on the source of the fouling, no one size fits all here.
If hard water had been used in the cooling system it will have a lot of calcium and magnesium oxides/carbonates in the deposits and oxalic will not remove it. Oxalic will form a hard insoluble solid with it(make worse). It's also the main component of kidney stones. Reaction much like soap scum(fatty acids) where the soap sodium fatty acid salt exchanges with the calcium to make the hard/insoluble salt(scum). CLR/limeaway type products use hydroxyacetic acid, different than vinegar(acetic). Vinegar is weak and just isn't that effective.
If it's crusty rust, then maybe one of the organic rust removers might be an option. Evaporust is a common brand and does not harm the other metals. You'd have to block off the outlets and fill the cooling jacket. Try on a small part first like the outlet/thermostat housing. You'll have to flush out the black ppt after cleaning with another flush. The problem will be you won't know the condition of the internal passages. Some may be rusted very thin and not hold up and your block could be trash.
They use TSPP in the Prestone hot radiator flush product. I've used it but sure it will not cure this issue. Takes away the oily glycolic acid residues mostly.
There are commercial passivated acids that are used specifically for cleaning cooling systems, but I'm not advocating that for the consumer/DIY trade. If you go to rebuild, they'll bake, wash, or boil out the block to remove the fouling and check/clean the passages.
The other thing is where is the fouling? In the block or the radiator, or both. You'll have to cure both to solve an over temperature problem.
This is one of the more common problems in vintage motors, and is the result of lack of care since new and normal aging. One can't restore everything in any condition. Sometime you have to change/upgrade parts. Consult with a radiator shop if the radiator is plugged.

Posted on: 2016/7/18 16:47
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Fish'n Jim
See User information
Don't know why this posted twice. I tried to erase one but it's too late.
I did some checking around and Prestone Heavy Duty cooling system cleaner lists it as containing hydrochloric acid. However, it's a proprietary formulation so does not say if it's inhibited, sequestered, or offered as a hydrochloric salt. I'd still recommend to stay away from strong acids for the reasons I listed.

Posted on: 2016/7/21 19:43
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Rusty O\'Toole
See User information
On a flathead Chrysler six I took out the core plugs and found the water jackets had 2 or 3 inches of deposits, mainly mud and rust. It washed out easily with a pressure washer. It was possible to do a thorough job by pointing the pressure in different directions.

After doing this you could fill with fresh water and add some CLR calcium lime and rust remover. Run for 50 miles or so and flush the system with a garden hose in the rad.

This should get the system clean without using aggressive chemicals that might cause damage. You may cause leaks by removing deposits that are plugging a weak spot.

Posted on: 2016/7/21 21:12
 Top  Print   

« 1 (2)

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved