Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
261 user(s) are online (137 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 261

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2)

Re: problem with engine PACKARD 1950
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Dave Kenney
See User information
"When I wanted to make certain the engine wasn't blocked by turning the crank-shaft manually with a tool without plugs, after have made one and a half tour, the engine has blocked."

Kajyk77, Bonjour et bienvenue aussi du Canada ! Je me demande si vous avez une valve coinc?e dans le moteur puisqu'il tourne un peu. Les meilleurs conseils que je peux donner sont d'enlever la culasse et les couvertures lat?rales et le soak de valve ils en carburant diesel ou p?trole penetrating. Bonne chance

Eric , My French is pretty lousy but I hope my message is understandable. In the first posting I interpreted his posting to say that he has removed the plugs and was able to turn the engine 1 1/2 revolutions before it was stuck. I am wondering if it isn't a stuck valve not opening that would cause this. I suggested he remove the head and valve covers and use penetrating oil or diesel fuel as a solvent as it would possibly be more readily available than PB Blaster etc.
That is a curious foot pedal? I see the hand brake lever is still in place so I am curious to know what that extra lever does.

Posted on: 2008/12/28 10:45
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
was able to turn the engine 1 1/2 revolutions before it was stuck

Big clue that I missed! That would suggest a frozen valve, just as Clipper47 has suggested.

Posted on: 2008/12/28 11:02
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JD in KC
See User information
Regarding the mystery pedal... my '50 has an aftermarket foot operated pump for a windshield washer, this may be something similar.

Posted on: 2008/12/28 12:11
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Dave Kenney
See User information
Quote:

J.D. in KC wrote:
Regarding the mystery pedal... my '50 has an aftermarket foot operated pump for a windshield washer, this may be something similar.

That would be my guess. I owned a few cars in the 50's which had that type of windshield washer mechanism.

Posted on: 2008/12/28 14:40
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Eric Boyle
See User information
Dave, I missed it too! Yes, it's probably just a stuck valve. The best way to do that is to remove the head, get some PB Blaster or the like, and a rubber mallet. Turn the engine the other way and give it a sharp "whack", but not too hard as to bend the valve. I've done this several times with good luck and not bending the valve.

As for the w/w pump, never seen one of those, but now I will remember it!

Posted on: 2008/12/28 16:36
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
Can't see a windshield washer bottle in Pierre's pic of the engine compartment, however that's not to say it's not there somewhere but out of sight.

Posted on: 2008/12/28 16:45
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JD in KC
See User information
The after market washer in my Packard didn't use anything as elegant as a washer bottle. It used a blue plastic/vinyl bag that was hung somewhere on the inner fender. I found the bag all petrified and covered with crud in the trunk. I'll be removing the foot pump thing when I re-carpet.

Posted on: 2008/12/29 0:39
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Eric Boyle
See User information
Regarding the foot pedal, maybe someone retrofitted one of these: Pedal

Attach file:

jpg  (11.74 KB)
34_49601d8cb0b9c.jpg 400X300 px

Posted on: 2009/1/3 21:23
 Top  Print   

« 1 (2)

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved