Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
117 user(s) are online (79 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 117

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2)

Re: 120 vent lever, picture?
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
Quote:
Faust wrote:.......I don't know of a local 40-41 to compare it to.......

G'day Faust,
Although not quite local, but only an ocean and a continent separate us, here's pic of the vent lever from my '41 Coupe. May be of assistance.

PS - Also thrown in a pic of my '38 vent lever and handle, but because it's a factory RHD car may be different to your LHD.

Attach file:

jpg  (35.10 KB)
226_49b2d6f367b78.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (19.79 KB)
226_49b2d70b9735e.jpg 384X512 px

Posted on: 2009/3/7 15:20
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
It sure looks as if the prewar handles are the same except for color. There's several handles listed in parts books, difference appears to be a different tenite # for different models. Believe the tenite # would be the color of plastic.

Posted on: 2009/3/7 16:32
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Faust
See User information
Quote:
G'day Faust,
here's pic of the vent lever from my '41 Coupe. May be of assistance.

PS - Also thrown in a pic of my '38 vent lever and handle, but because it's a factory RHD car may be different to your LHD.

Thank you, sure looks the same. There does seem to be a color difference. I thought that was age, but now I have learned about Tenite numbers.

It does seem that the RHD cars "flips" the lower portion of the lever sections.

Quote:
Although not quite local, but only an ocean and a continent separate us,

It does seem further than it did, now that they have eliminated international "surface mail". I used to send a lot of pre-war Buick stuff to OZ and NZ. The cost of sending a small item has increased about 400%.

I recently sent about 1200 pounds of FIAT parts to Melbourne, "carriage by sea". Freight and inland fees were only 4 times what it cost to send a piece of '48 Buick trim to Melbourne. If you are ever in that position, paying for delivery to your door may actually save fees over picking it up at the dock. I think it avoids some "union work rules".

Posted on: 2009/3/7 20:34
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
A bit of trivia. "Tenite" is a generic category of early thermoplastics known for low cost and good molding and casting properties, kind of the plastic analog to white metal. UV-stabilizing technology was primitive a best in prewar years so tenites of that era have poor resistance to sunlight. I believe but not certain that tenite was either developed or perhaps commercialized by the Eastman Co. for use as a replacement for the glass plate formerly used as a substrate for photographic emulsions. In any case they are formed by reaction of cellulosic materials (usually wood pulp) and a corresponding acid like acetic (making cellulose acetate). Reacting with nitric acid gives nitro-cellulose, well-known for other properties.

Posted on: 2009/3/8 17:36
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Thomas Wilcox
See User information
Quote:

Owen_Dyneto wrote:
A bit of trivia. "Tenite" is a generic category of early thermoplastics known for low cost and good molding and casting properties, kind of the plastic analog to white metal. UV-stabilizing technology was primitive a best in prewar years so tenites of that era have poor resistance to sunlight. I believe but not certain that tenite was either developed or perhaps commercialized by the Eastman Co. for use as a replacement for the glass plate formerly used as a substrate for photographic emulsions. In any case they are formed by reaction of cellulosic materials (usually wood pulp) and a corresponding acid like acetic (making cellulose acetate). Reacting with nitric acid gives nitro-cellulose, well-known for other properties.

Cool! Sounds like you could make it in your kitchen; well, except for the danger of explosions?

Posted on: 2009/3/8 17:49
--
Thomas Wilcox
34 Roadster, [url=https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/r
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Interestingly still around and used today. Eastman has a pdf of their various tenite types & properties on their website. Wonder if the dashes & steering wheels used the same stuff because they, for the most part, sure didn't hold up as well as that handle.

Posted on: 2009/3/8 18:02
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Faust
See User information
Quote:
Interestingly still around and used today. Eastman has a pdf of their various tenite types & properties on their website. Wonder if the dashes & steering wheels used the same stuff because they, for the most part, sure didn't hold up as well as that handle.

I suspect that may be UV degradation, there isn't a lot of direct sunlight under the dash.

Posted on: 2009/3/8 23:49
 Top  Print   

« 1 (2)

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved