Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
124 user(s) are online (84 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 123

Alvin14, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2) 3 »

Re: Straight Eight engine number/cid
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Here is the engine number reference Kev madehttps://www.packardinfo.com/xoops/html/downloads/PackardEngineSerials.pdf H225423 is in the 49 half of 23rd series, a 288 used in a standard or deluxe 8.

EDIT: 3 replies with the info in 5 minutes time. Not bad.

Posted on: 2011/7/31 16:28
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

55PackardGuy
See User information
Thanks. I can tell my acquaintance that two fellows from across the pond in two different directions helped me out on this, as well as a fellow American, as they say. Truly an international brotherhood (and sisterhood) of Packard nuts.

SO, the real question is, is this an engine with a good track record? 5 main bearings sounds good, however I believe the 288 was low compression, and of course lower cid than the 327.

Do the markings on the head I posted earlier indicate maybe a different head that's possibly higher compression?
Quote:
the number 42B409 [is] cast into the head . . . followed by a large, cast-in number 288. Then there is a space of a couple inches and the letters STD, followed by a short space and the number 327.

Any comments on this engine in general or compared with other straight eights of the period--reliability and performance-wise--would really be appreciated

Thanks again.

Posted on: 2011/8/2 13:19
Guy

[b]Not an Expert[/
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Guscha
See User information
Guy, I delved into an old thread that sounds like thunder. Perhaps you should at least give it a cursory glance?

Posted on: 2011/8/5 18:47
The story of ZIS-110, ZIS-115, ZIL-111 & Chaika GAZ-13 on www.guscha.de
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

55PackardGuy
See User information
Thanks, Guscha. Good info on the various options for achieving different compression ratios on the 288 and 327 engines. I read it all with interest.

The 288 in question is a plain vanilla '49 "STD" with 7:1 compression ratio.

I'm not too interested in modifications, but in how the engine would perform in its present state, assuming t is in good operating condition.

F'r instance:

-What is the potential for highway cruising speeds of 70 mph with this engine.

-What rear end ratio would be needed to achieve these speeds without over-revving, given a standard transmission and no overdrive.

-How reliable and durable is this engine to run, (given today's alcoholic gas).

-How efficient is it mileage-wise.

-What are the typical "major malfunctions" to expect needing attention.

-What are the strong points of the engine?

Thanks very much.

Posted on: 2011/8/7 12:56
Guy

[b]Not an Expert[/
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Mike
See User information
with my 50 288 and ultramatic i did 70mph no problem, regularly. highway was about 80% of my driving.

Engine ran reliably, had no carb or fuel pump issues, put about 3000-6000 miles on that motor on today's gas.

I believe the 288 wasn't the problem with overreving as much as the 327, perhaps others more knowledgeable could chime in?

Posted on: 2011/8/7 16:23
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Ross
See User information
Back in those days Road and Track Magazine regularly remarked that 2500 feet per minute was a good guideline for maximum reliable/sustainable piston speed. On a 327 that would equal 3529 rpm, and on a 288 an even 4000 rpm. With the 3.9 axle usually specified with straight stick that would yield 75 and 85 mph respectively.

And sure, they will do that, but they sure do sound busy when pushed that hard.

Early fifties Ultramatic cars often were fitted with 3.54 axles which pushes them up to 83mph for a 327 and 94mph for the 288 without excessive piston speed. That's close to how fast a 288 is going to push one of those barn doors through the wind in any event.

As a contrast, an overdrive car is only turning 2100 rpm at 70 and feels quite relaxed. Its maximum safe speed (with 288)if Road and Track's number is followed is 118 mph--something it can only achieve over the side of a cliff. Mine is very happy at 80 but sucks up fuel like a fighter jet when driven that fast.

Posted on: 2011/8/7 18:48
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Guscha
See User information
Quote:
Back in those days Road and Track Magazine regularly remarked that 2500 feet per minute was a good guideline for maximum reliable/sustainable piston speed...

Ross, thanks for your always cogent comments. One cannot overemphasize the importance of "Back in those days". The maximum piston speed of modern-day cars are remarkable higher, approx. 3.500 up to 4.000 feet per minute (~ 20 m/s) because of other materials and technologies (X-rayed aluminium pistons, low-viscosity engine oil, ...) and even in old days the piston speed of high-performance engines could be much more increased.

Click to see original Image in a new window

MZ RE 125; made in GDR in 1965, single-cylinder two-stroke engine, oval-shaped aluminium alloy piston, maxium piston speed 4.724 feet per minute (~ 24 m/s)

[picture source:http://www.cyclechaos.com/wiki/MZ]

Posted on: 2011/8/8 5:55
The story of ZIS-110, ZIS-115, ZIL-111 & Chaika GAZ-13 on www.guscha.de
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
Sustained 3500 - 4000 rpm on the long stroke streight 8's mite very well be just fine . But how many miles between engine overhauls?????

Posted on: 2011/8/8 7:21
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=7245
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Ross
See User information
My experience is that pieces of top piston ring will be popping up through the top of the piston on their way to a rendezvous with the exhaust valve, especially if the car has over 80k miles or so, and was equipped with the bird-strainer air filter so many of those cars were afflicted with.

With top rings that actually fit grooves that aren't noodled out they would probably run a long time at those speeds. I don't have the slightest fear for the bottom end or the valve train.

Let me quote from my all time favorite Service Counselor, talking about how to solve a vibration problem in 200s with Ultramatic (April 1951): "The disturbance, when it exists, is particularly noticeable between 80 and 90 miles per hour. In some instances, a disturbance may also be noticeable at speeds below 80 miles per hour".

And that is why I like Packards.

Posted on: 2011/8/8 9:51
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Phil Randolph
See User information
I put a self imposed RPM cruise limit on my 38 (282 engine) of 2500. That coupled with the stock 4:36 rear end and an R11 overdrive gives me 66 MPH. I found that anything above that speed the car is not overly relaxing to drive. I took my measurements with a GPS and a tach

Posted on: 2011/8/8 12:06
1938 1601 Club Coupe
 Top  Print   

« 1 (2) 3 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved