Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
101 user(s) are online (52 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 99

bkazmer, Joe, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Bottom Bottom   Previous Topic Previous Topic   Next Topic Next Topic   Register To PostTopic is Locked

« 1 ... 97 98 99 (100) 101 102 103 ... 170 »

Re: Wade's Workshop
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
Thursday 12th January 2012

After a long morning spent playing with the grand-daughters, even better than playing with Packards in my opinion, arrived at the workshop to find Wade had spent his morning cleaning all the parts disassembled from Juniors trans and OD yesterday. Meant a pre-clean to remove the vast majority of dirt, oil, grease and grime before the parts that could, went into the parts washer for a sparkling finish. Wade had also called John, Juniors Dad, last night and suggested he call in today to see the damage and discuss plans and options. This John did, but unfortunately I missed his visit because of "family commitments". Wade did say that John said he'd like to find a pair of horns for Junior. Junior at present has one long trumpet type horn mounted on a home made bracket affixed to one of the radiator to body brace rods. Wade said he had a pair of horns on the shelf which although also not kosher are more in keeping with what Junior should have. Gave them a brief bench test, they work, but need some work and to be tuned.

When I arrived Wade was just about to start disassembling the donor trans and the remaining parts of the OD. Came apart much easier than Juniors, the only "problems" being finicky or awkward circlips which necessitated a number of attempts to release and remove them. Apart from that everything slid off or out without any problems. But.....the mainshaft proved to be a disappointment, with the case hardening worn through on the second gear synchro surface, I think that's what is was. Please be gentle with me if it isn't. This led to Wade attempting to press off the corresponding part from Juniors main shaft but without success. Wade had to try even though he knew the mainshaft comes as an "assembly" and theoretically, right Randy, can't be separated. Of course he got nowhere but he did try. Fortunately John had given instructions to do what is reasonably necessary to return Junior to prime operating condition, not irrespective of cost but bearing cost in mind. So it looks like Wade's favourite Packard parts supplier will be receiving a query re availability and cost of a mainshaft and some other trans and OD parts. Although one part we looked at in the shop copy of the catalog is listed as "enquire". Does this mean you'll be lucky or you'll be very lucky and if you are be prepared for significant sticker shock?

Attach file:

jpg  (44.15 KB)
226_4f0e98a6e2f13.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (22.34 KB)
226_4f0e98bac9405.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (22.93 KB)
226_4f0e98dbadfcd.jpg 384X512 px

jpg  (33.02 KB)
226_4f0e98f2aaca0.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (53.96 KB)
226_4f0e993768502.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (16.83 KB)
226_4f0e994b1f043.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (42.77 KB)
226_4f0e995f3cc1a.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (45.23 KB)
226_4f0e9975c3bca.jpg 640X480 px

Posted on: 2012/1/12 3:29
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
Friday 13th January 2012

Besides giving plasma at the Blood Bank this morning learned that as well as today there are 2 more Friday the 13th's this year. Meanwhile at the workshop the elves, although I thought Christmas was over, had been at work. Or was that just one elf by the name of Wade? Whoever it was, they'd repaired a leaking oil pressure gauge fitting at the rear of the block by removing it, cleaning it and re-installing it using thread sealing tape. No more leak there now. Come to think of it Wade does have an aversion to leaks so the finger is turning in his direction. Apparently it also looks like there is a slight coolant leak from the front of the engine but neither under car or on top close inspection could pinpoint the source. Will keep a close eye on that situation in future. Then took the Coupe out for a test drive as well as filling up with 95 Unleaded and returning via George's workshop. George was able to inspect and test the Coupe for it's annual inspection certificate. The inspection approval is now done on-line so I was able, on returning home, to log on and make the required payment. The Coupe is now officially "on the road" for another year.

Wade had earlier taken Juniors mainshaft around to Brookers Brake Service so the fitting at the front(see pic) cab be machined off in their lathe. Reason being, Wade had been in contact with his "favourite Packards Parts supplier" but a combination of sticker shock and other factors has led to other alternatives being examined before any order is placed. Left Wade completing the "engineering drawings" for the machining required on the 426 waterpumps.

Attach file:

jpg  (26.56 KB)
226_4f0fea6d974d0.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (23.97 KB)
226_4f0fea82dd540.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (16.15 KB)
226_4f0fea98c1b3a.jpg 384X512 px

jpg  (17.63 KB)
226_4f0feaa7c217c.jpg 384X512 px

jpg  (30.82 KB)
226_4f0feac1e30f6.jpg 384X512 px

Posted on: 2012/1/13 3:26
Mal
/o[]o\
====

What's this?
Here's how!

Home away from home
Home away from home

Thomas Wilcox
See User information
Mal,

The 'bumps' on the springs are slippery bits Packard put on their springs to eliminate squeaks. I would say that you have one OEM and one replacement spring.

I can't remember right now what material was used for the slippery bits. Maybe lead? Or rubber?

Tom

Posted on: 2012/1/13 15:02
--
Thomas Wilcox
34 Roadster, [url=https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/r

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
The composition of the "buttons" differed depending on position to give the optimum frictional properties and hence ride quality. Antimony/tin/lead alloys, bronze, & rubber were all used. I think the attachment, a page from an article I authored for The Packard Cormorant some years back, will give some insight.

Attach file:

jpg  (126.82 KB)
177_4f109d72d047d.jpg 981X1280 px

Posted on: 2012/1/13 16:09

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
Gents for the explanation and insights, my Packard education continues......

Posted on: 2012/1/13 16:40
Mal
/o[]o\
====

What's this?
Here's how!

Home away from home
Home away from home

Guscha
See User information
Mal, there you will find a similar question followed by explanation especially related to a 1941 110 Business Coupe.

Quote:
...Antimony/tin/lead alloys, bronze, & rubber were all used...

Dave, is one of the mentioned separator materials or a compound of it called "silenite"?

Attach file:

jpg  (98.63 KB)
757_4f10ae8926875.jpg 500X933 px

Posted on: 2012/1/13 17:06
The story of ZIS-110, ZIS-115, ZIL-111 & Chaika GAZ-13 on www.guscha.de

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Selenite is a crystalline form of gypsum (calcium sulfate) as I recall. Silenite is perhaps a trade name for some proprietary substance.

Posted on: 2012/1/13 17:25

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Jim
See User information
I am interested to learn of what you and Wade find of this pressed swaged collar in the main shaft. A friend in Texas used an NOS main shaft assembly that ended up reciently having an issue where the collar moved allowing second and high to both engage the sliding shifter clutch resulting in shelling second gear freewheeler on the main shaft.

My transmission clearly had second gear freewheeler on the main shaft replaced as well as the input shaft. This was not evident or clear at first because I took a quick look at the input and freewheelers, and cluster which all looked good. Latter I looked at the sliding shift collar and first reverse slider discovering they were destroyed. Puzzled I looked very close at things and found the second freewheeler to be literally brand new. I noticed first / second freewheelers were loose on the bearings/ main shaft and pressed the collar back further. This took up the sloop and the gears ran perfect. I figured staking the collar would ensure it was tight and did so. It actually moved again and loosened. This was very alarming because I feared it slipping (and rightfully so as I learned almost immediately latter about the one that did in Texas) and the freewheelers moving. I ground a groove in four of the splines and TIG welded a tiny bead of weld in each to hold the collar in place.

My guess is the main shaft could have a groove machined into it and a circlip used to retain the freewheelers. If needed, I suppose the gear stack could be shimmed to get the correct bearing clearances.

I apologize for not sharing this info in my post on the '40 work progress, but figured no one would get that far into something like this and would just think I was some weird mad scientist mechanic.

Jim

Posted on: 2012/1/14 9:51

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
Very interesting Jim, a friend in Texas recently suggested "....Repair of mainshafts may be a subject of conversation with Peter Toet as well as Jim (39Super8), who just repaired 2nd gear on his - as well as repairing hardening issues....". I'll certainly pass on what is found when the mainshaft comes back from it's machining.

Posted on: 2012/1/14 16:21
Mal
/o[]o\
====

What's this?
Here's how!

Home away from home
Home away from home

Peter Packard
See User information
Hi all, I have removed and replaced the collar on a number of mainshafts without a failure. I grind a nick into the collar then split it with a sharp cold chisel. To replace the collar I use a hacksaw blade at the split to relieve the cut. I then push the collar back into the groove position and clamp the collar. I then MIG the clamped together split and allow it to cool. The collar cools and shrinks onto the shaft behind the groove, in its origial position. It works for me. Best regards Peter Toet

Posted on: 2012/1/14 20:51
I like people, Packards and old motorbikes

« 1 ... 97 98 99 (100) 101 102 103 ... 170 »

Register To PostTopic is Locked

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved