Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
262 user(s) are online (155 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 261

37Blanche, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Shock Absorber Straps
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Anyone aware of a source for strapping for early Watson-type friction shock absorbers such as would be found on early to mid-20s Packards and other makes?

Posted on: 2012/10/1 9:28
 Top  Print   

Re: Shock Absorber Straps
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
No one able to help?

Posted on: 2012/10/2 15:26
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
Dave, I think most of us don't even know what that is!

Posted on: 2012/10/2 15:41
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Is this the belt like stuff wound inside a housing that pulls against some kind of friction apparatus? If that's what I think it is, then seems to be in short supply. Restoration Specialties says temporarily not available and Rest Supply is down to just two sizes. Wonder if some of the flat belt material McMaster carries would work or would that look too out of place. They have some synthetic materials as well as leather and a leather composite in various width and thickness.

Posted on: 2012/10/2 15:52
Howard
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Thanks HH. Yes indeed, it's the webbing for the friction-type shock absorbers, Watson's in this case. Not for me, I'm inquiring for someone else. Guess I'll just suggest he keep trying Rest. Specialties.

I suppose it must be very strong and doubt leather would hold up, at worst I'd guess it's got to support up to half the weight of the front or rear suspension or up to 1/4 the weight of the car body on bounce and rebound so it's got to have really great tensive properties. Never worked on one of these shocks before so I'm pretty much in ignorance as to the details.

Posted on: 2012/10/2 17:24
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Dell
See User information
Henry yersk or something, he will be at hershey, rebuilds them so i would be able to supply straps or information. I am the new owner of a 526 so will learn all about them. dell

Posted on: 2012/10/2 21:31

35-1200 touring sedan
42-110 convertible coupe
48-2293 station sedan
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Henry yersk

thanks for the tip. It's Henry Yeska.

Posted on: 2012/10/2 22:20
 Top  Print   

Just popping in
Just popping in

Friartuck
See User information
I thought this is worth sharing with the Packard group regarding Shock Straps also called Snubber in some circles. Snubber Strap was typically 1 1/2 inch wide all cotton strap about 5/32 thick. It was manufactured by Uniform Hood Lace in Indiana. They manufactured it since inception (c.1919) and stopped around 2014. They claim their Shuttle Loom broke and was not worth repairing. I think that was just an excuse. Several well established vendors have tried to convince Uniform to do another run (say 2500 yards) to no avail. I have been looking for a substitute from other mills, but none don't make it that thick. The best I have found is an all cotton strap manufactured IAW MIL-W-530 Type III. The Mil spec has a breakage limit of 855 pounds. The original snubber likely had a strength of around 1,000 pounds. Also original snubber was coated with Creosote for 1) protection from rot and 2) as a lubricant around the brass shims inside the snubber drum. One mill, Leedon in Rhode Island makes this but won't sell to the public. I couldn't even get Leedon to make a special run of 2,000 yards. Its a wonder how much would someone have to suggest to motivate a mill for a cotton strap.

Options: A vendor in Conn. sells a cotton strap almost as thick as snubber with no coating for $10 per foot. Another vendor, Andy Wise in Maryland offers Kevlar Strap for $15 per foot. Beachwood Canvas in Island Heights, NJ has about 100 yards of this cotton strap (MIL-W-530) (again no coating) for $8 per yard. Beachwood purchased a bunch for a project that never materialized. It's not a standard item on their website. If someone is looking for a cotton strap at a decent price, perhaps this may work for you. A homemade creosote could be made by mixing roofing tar and kerosene. A note of caution, lighter springs may have to be used when rebuilding your shock unit, but believe todays roads are smoother and don't need as strong of a spring. This will also go to preventing this strap from breaking.

Beachwood Canvas
39 Lake Avenue
Island heights, NJ 08732
732-929-3168
https://www.beachwoodcanvas.com/

Attach file:

jpg  (212.70 KB)
2904_5a971ca29b628.jpg 1600X1200 px

Posted on: 2018/2/28 16:18
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

DavidM
See User information

Posted on: 2018/3/1 2:40
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved