Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
111 user(s) are online (53 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 111

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

PACA Run - Bathurst NSW Australia
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
Day 1

While many PackardInfo members are at or travelling to the 2nd Annual PackardInfo.com River Fun Run some PACA(Packard Automobile Club of Australia) members are on a run to and around Bathurst NSW.

The Sydney based contingent rendevouzed at Eastern Creek then headed west to cross the Blue Mountains. But, traversing the first real hill at Lapstone John, Appin, suffered a blown head gasket in his '40 110 Sedan. John decided that that was as far as he was going to go. So, after ensuring John had a tilt tray tip truck coming, the rest of us carried on. Rang John later and he and the '40 had made it home safely. Arrived at the apartments at Bathurst where Barry and Cheryl Smith had already arrived in their '51 Convertible having travelled 401kms I'm told. Later Peter and Ann Toet arrived from Canberra in their '39 Twelve, don't know how far that was.

Later in the afternoon we were all off to visit Lee,Larry51, and Marilyn and their '51 Club Sedan Restoration. Such was their hospitality we almost didn't get to see the Club Sedan because of the wealth of refreshments available. But see the Club Sedan we did, after all it is a Packard! And...although it's great to read about it in the Blog it's even better to see it in the metal!

EDIT - Almost forgot, also already at the apartments was Mat, packard34, with his '55 Caribbean!

Attach file:

jpg  (48.50 KB)
226_509caf372f473.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (39.00 KB)
226_509caf4758f67.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (39.53 KB)
226_509caf546f0e2.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (25.31 KB)
226_509cb241ca8ca.jpg 384X512 px

jpg  (45.37 KB)
226_509cb2c023d85.jpg 384X512 px

Posted on: 2012/11/9 2:23
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print   

Re: PACA Run - Bathurst NSW Australia
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
While stopped following John's misfortune, Noel was insistent that a pic be taken of me wearing my headwear of choice, a 2012 Packard Truck Meet Hat. In fact Noel took the pic!

Attach file:

jpg  (33.50 KB)
226_509ce42de12c9.jpg 640X480 px

Posted on: 2012/11/9 6:09
Mal
/o[]o\
====

What's this?
Here's how!
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Randy Berger
See User information
Handsome fellow that Malcolm.

Posted on: 2012/11/9 9:31
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
Day 2

From the Charlotte St apartments we went in convoy to the Mount Panorama motor racing circuit where we proceeded to do a "cold" lap! A "cold" lap because, although it's a motor racing circuit, it's only that for 2 weekends a year. The rest of the time its a public road with a 60 kmh speed limit! After our "cold" lap, we visited the Motor Racing Museum located at the foot of the circuit.

That was followed by a drive to historic Hill End where the pub there, until fairly recently, was owned by our very own Mat, packard34! But, before adjourning to the pub for lunch and liquid refreshments, our group visited Craigmoor, a local historic house where we were given a guided tour. After lunch many chose to walk the streets of Hill End, not a problem, because there's no traffic to speak of!

Attach file:

jpg  (47.83 KB)
226_509e434ae54b2.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (46.37 KB)
226_509e4360163b8.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (47.58 KB)
226_509e4370ba37e.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (32.96 KB)
226_509e4386a5eda.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (41.79 KB)
226_509e439b8c4c1.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (56.04 KB)
226_509e46a64f7d3.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (60.05 KB)
226_509e46be5130f.jpg 640X480 px

Posted on: 2012/11/10 7:21
Mal
/o[]o\
====

What's this?
Here's how!
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Guscha
See User information
They're much of a muchness. I like all the pictures. Thank you Mal (and Noel).

Click to see original Image in a new window

Posted on: 2012/11/10 7:28
The story of ZIS-110, ZIS-115, ZIL-111 & Chaika GAZ-13 on www.guscha.de
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Glad to see Mat has his Caribbean back on the road and hopefully as good or better than new.

After a nice long trip, maybe he can give a drive report on the new Electro-boost brakes. Ups, downs, so-so's and not so's and anything that could be done differently. The next person contemplating might appreciate more first hand info.

Something I'd be curious about is if his mechanic ran into the same mounting & clearance issues Jed did with his 56 and if the extra bracing or placement muffles the noise a bit better.

Posted on: 2012/11/10 10:34
Howard
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
Day 3

Today, rather than touring and such, there was a Packard to see! PackardInfo member Peter,pwakem, in this thread had introduced himself and in my inimitable fashion I'd latched onto him, after all he is an Aussie! Or so I'd thought. With Peter also joining PACA, as well as PackardInfo, I gently suggested to him that it would be good if PACA could see his Coupe on our Bathurst run. Wait, let me rephrase that, I just about invited PACA along myself to see Peter's '36 Coupe. How could Peter possibly say no? Anyway, irrespective of the niceties of the situation, Peter's place was our first stop today. Arrived there in a rough convoy and parked on the grass slope near the front of his hilltop house which is on 10 acres with great views. As it is in Peter's shed, besides the farm equipment there is an E Type Jag Coupe, a 427 Corvette and best of all a '36 One Twenty Business Coupe! As I said, great views! Lots of looking, talking, inspection, advice and information exchanged. Followed by a lovely morning tea spread where the talking, inspection, advice and information exchange continued. And it was both ways, with Peter able to see real live examples of reasonably similar Packards. Everyone thoroughly enjoyed the visit, ladies included, who were able to check out Peter's wife Sarah's garden.

After we left Peter, Sarah and family, preceded by Peter and Ann Toet who had departed a little earlier for their trip home to Canberra, the remaining PACA members headed to our luncheon venue. Lunch was at the Gladstone Pub in the village of Newbridge. Although Peter and Ann had left our company, we were joined at the pub by Harold and Sandra Brother-in-law and sister of LesF, so lunchtime numbers didn't suffer. I must mention that all the lunch and dinner venues selected by Lee and Marilyn were excellent, thankyou. After lunch, pretty well most of the participants returned home at their leisure following a very enjoyable Packard Run to Bathurst and surrounds.

Lastly a clarification. This "...after all he is an Aussie!...." turned out to be incorrect. Peter is actually a Kiwi, aka a New Zealander! Sorry Peter! But Peter found a friend in Wade, who is also a Kiwi!

Attach file:

jpg  (45.13 KB)
226_509f8e4a6c50c.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (40.77 KB)
226_509f8e7ce37d1.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (42.92 KB)
226_509f8e91d543d.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (47.07 KB)
226_509f8ec4d3d22.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (47.27 KB)
226_509f8edb209ab.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (44.23 KB)
226_509f8fddbf6fd.jpg 640X480 px

Posted on: 2012/11/11 6:41
Mal
/o[]o\
====

What's this?
Here's how!
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
Links to the albums of the Bathurst Run

Day 1

Day 2

Day 3

Posted on: 2012/11/11 7:52
Mal
/o[]o\
====

What's this?
Here's how!
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Mathew Rattray
See User information
Hi All,

Yes it was a fantastic weekend, I picked up the Caribbean on the 24th September and with a planned wedding for the 27th I spent the much of the time in between at Ultratune at Bathurst, I was a bit disapointed with a quite a few things with the vehicle and am slowly working through all the problems. Best known as the debugging stage, there are still quite a few things required doing until I will be at a stage that I am completely happy with it. After now doing just over 1000kms I can give me report on my observations of the new brake system. This can best be described in 3 words. I LOVE IT!!! ... Honestly it is a great setup.

The pedal position is not too different from the original setup. I mounted the accumulator on the inside of the drivers fender and you can defiantly hear if but you do grow accustom to it. It also provides (for me) reassurance that it is working when i do hear it. This noise could possibly be muffled / silenced if you wanted to somehow try and sound deaden it, but i don't find it too much of a problem. Possibly the only thing I might have done different is put the remote filler in a more readily accerssible position, which I may still do down the track. As for extra bracing, from memory we didn't require any major bracing modifications, i'll take some pictures tomorrow showing the final setup as it is.

I would defiantly recommend this setup to anyone contemplating to change. I realise this is still a closely debated subject, but I've made the switch and if I wass to ever buy another vehicle with a btv I would defiantly install the btv system before even contemplating driving the vehicle

Posted on: 2012/11/12 5:26
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved