Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
200 user(s) are online (111 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 3
Guests: 197

BigKev, todd landis, 37Blanche, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 »

49 Deluxe Delco Lever Shocks
Home away from home
Home away from home

Mark Hill
See User information
Has anyone rebuilt their own shocks? I have rebuilt mine, with good success and thought of posting what I found and did about it. I have started a draft, but it seems to me it might come across as a bit long winded. Wouldn't want to bore anyone. Your thoughts please, good, bad or otherwise.

Posted on: 2013/4/3 2:46
If it won't move, get a bigger wrench.
If it breaks, it needed fixing anyway.

Mark

1949 Deluxe
 Top  Print   

Re: 49 Deluxe Delco Lever Shocks
Home away from home
Home away from home

Ross
See User information
Love to see it.

Posted on: 2013/4/3 5:32
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
YES, love to see it as well. And I'm sure we all want it to be easily findable later, so how about letting Kev put it in the "How-To & Tech Tip" section, hopefully with some illustrations?

Posted on: 2013/4/3 6:49
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JD in KC
See User information
I'd certainly be interested in seeing what you've done.

Posted on: 2013/4/3 7:45
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Tim Cole
See User information
A long long time ago there was a CCCA magazine article on knee actions, but I don't have it anymore. That box got lost in a move.

Posted on: 2013/4/3 8:14
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

David Grubbs
See User information
here's an article on a mid 30's Chevy with knee action shocks.http://www.antiqueautoarchive.com/folders/Restoration/kneeaction/kneeactionpdfcompressed.pdf

And here is a thread from the AACA:
http://forums.aaca.org/f120/delco-knee-action-shocks-294212.html

Still a lot of work. I send mine to Apple or one of the similar rebuilders. Just make sure you send it UPS or FedEx. If the post office loses the box like they did mine, the insurance is worthless since some brainless knucklehead in the office will ask you for an original sales slip showing how much they cost. At least that's what I ran into.

Posted on: 2013/4/3 11:42
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Mark Hill
See User information
Thank you all for your input. Please bear with me, then as I go through it and refine it. I will try and make it more of a "How-to" article. I am by no means an expert. I am a licensed millwright with a hydraulic background and when I saw how they worked I figured I could fix them. I made mistakes, and will pass on everything I did. Right and wrong. They are not hard to do, but certain equipment, like a press and possibly a lathe, or access to ones is required. I did take some pictures. Anyway, I will continue with it and will post it as soon as possible.

Posted on: 2013/4/3 14:51

Mark

1949 Deluxe
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Tim Cole
See User information
Those postal insurance rates are highway robbery to boot

Posted on: 2013/4/3 15:30
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Mark Hill
See User information
David, it was a lot of work. I might do it again. Only reason I did it was if I had sent them away, between the cost of rebuild and then shipping, it would have eaten most of the money I had set aside to fix what needed to be fixed to have it on the road for this summer. The article is almost done. I need to read through it to possibly make changes. Then I am going to have someone else who has seen the shock, to proof it to see if what I have written makes sense. I will post here again when I have talked to Kevin about putting it in the "How To" section and it is accessable to all.

Posted on: 2013/4/6 17:41

Mark

1949 Deluxe
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Mark Hill
See User information
Draft completed and proofed. It has been sent to Kevin and he is going to convert it in to a pdf file and I have asked him to let me know when it is ready.

Posted on: 2013/5/1 0:01

Mark

1949 Deluxe
 Top  Print   

(1) 2 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved