Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
141 user(s) are online (102 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 141

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 »

Misfire advice please
Home away from home
Home away from home

Ken Sadler
See User information
Hi chaps

I took my 745 out for its first run of the season yesterday but quickly found there was a misfire when on the road. At tickover and pootling around the driveway all seemed fine but, once under load (strangely only in top gear?!) a significant misfire occurs.

Now I did have the distributor off over the winter and the engine is harder to start from cold, requiring some retardation of the spark which I never had to do.

Any advice on how to go about solving this?
Thanks in advance

Posted on: 2013/4/7 10:09
1930 Deluxe 8 745 Dual Cowl Sport Phaeton
See me in the Registry
 Top  Print   

Re: Misfire advice please
Home away from home
Home away from home

Ken Sadler
See User information
I should also throw in the fact that I've adjusted the carb as the tickover seemed low (kept stalling in fact).

Following the owners manual instructions the adjuster on the detroit lubricator carb was turned fully to the right and then slowly to the left until running is smooth and tickover adequate.

Would unsufficient fuel/air resulting from my meddling cause some fuel starvation on the road giving a similar symptom?

Posted on: 2013/4/7 10:17
See me in the Registry
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Some of our good troubleshooters may have something specific to recommend, but to me since it only occurs under load on the engine (top gear) would make me suspect ignition first over carburetion.

Posted on: 2013/4/7 11:05
 Top  Print   

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

antiquecarman
See User information
if the fuel is borderline old it will do this.

Posted on: 2013/4/7 11:35
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Joe Santana
See User information
I'm suffering these symptoms. I took it to a shop and they scoped it to be the carburetor pump sticking and not delivering enough fuel under load, such as up a steep hill when you keep the pedal down. Pumping the pedal corrects the situation temporarily (so you at least get home). Mine's a 40, so I would rely on the advice of someone familiar with your year and model.
I added some fuel stabilizer and aviation fuel. Both improved performance, but just incrementally. I have to rebuild the carburetor.

Posted on: 2013/4/7 13:38
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Ken Sadler
See User information
All good advice - thanks

I did remove the plug leads from the distributor and the way in which they connect is quite fragile ( a small pin which perforates the side of the lead) so I might double check those connections.

The fuel theory is an interesting point - I have added some Redex lead additive (only because I put some in the tank of my 67 Mustang and thought it might be a nice "treat" for the Packard to have some too). That might actually be the problem as in fact the misfire could have started at about the time that the fuel mixture would have been drawn through.

I'll experiment and report back

Posted on: 2013/4/7 14:45
See me in the Registry
 Top  Print   

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

flatland
See User information
I'm not an expert, but have run into this problem on several older engines, that a weak coil, or bad points, will often cause the situation you are speaking of. They idle fine, but when placed under a heavy load the weakness in these parts then shows up.Make sure the gap in your points is correct. Just a suggestion to consider.

Posted on: 2013/4/8 12:01
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Tim Cole
See User information
Dear KTS:

As noted above, misfire under load is typical for weak ignition. You can test by using a KD spark tester. You should have at least 20kv cranking and it should be a nice strong regular spark.

However, there is also a service bulletin from Packard circa 1932 that advises to install a pigtail between the distributor and the cylinder head tower bolts due to poor ground.

Check that out first, then if you are still using the vacuum tank, make sure the needle valves are closing.

Posted on: 2013/4/8 15:24
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Ken Sadler
See User information
Interesting suggestion Tim

I did repaint the whole of the distributor while it was off. I'll make sure that the earth connection isn't hampered by my repaint.

I've ordered some new ignition leads as the current ones must be at least 10 years old, maybe much more.

Posted on: 2013/4/9 1:53
See me in the Registry
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Ken Sadler
See User information
Well I installed new ignition leads and made sure the connection to the coil was good and the result is that the car starts very much easier than before and runs smooth at tickover. It seems lumpy at higher revs and theres now a bit of black smoke.

Would this be the ignition too far advanced or the mixture?

Posted on: 2013/4/14 6:45
See me in the Registry
 Top  Print   

(1) 2 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved