Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
90 user(s) are online (68 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 89

John Sauser, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 »

47 Custom (nice)
Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard0
See User information
Why isn't this 47 Custom on Ebay selling? I've looked at it and read the description more than once and it seems the seller is being forthright. It appears to be a really nice example with very nice original interior and good engine with lots of work done to it and good paint also. Am I missing something? I was thinking someone would snatch this up in the high teens or right around $20K. These are really nice Packards and aren't they considered a CCCA classic?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1947-Packard-Super-Custom-Sedan-/111074867235?pt=US_Cars_Trucks&hash=item19dc93f823

Posted on: 2013/6/2 6:38
 Top  Print   

Re: 47 Custom (nice)
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Good question. Sure looks like a nice one. I haven't been following sales that closely but are sedate family sedan Packards moving in that price range right now. That one does need a couple of moderate to high dollar fixes for the perfectionist owner.

The few cars I've kept track of that seemed to go at decent dollar amounts were rarer or with a lot more flash. IIRC, there was an almost identical car on the west coast listed for around half that amount a month or two ago. Don't know if it sold either.

Posted on: 2013/6/2 8:45
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard0
See User information
What are the high dollar fixes for this car on Ebay?

Posted on: 2013/6/2 11:07
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
I have a friend who was very seriously interested in a 47 Custom Super and drove up to meet the owner and personally examine the car and drive it. He found it to be a very sound and worthy car but chose not to buy it simply because he was looking for a higher point example that would be competitive in the higher end of CCCA judging without any work required. From what he told me about it, I too am surprised it hasn't sold at what seemed to be a good value for the price.

Posted on: 2013/6/2 11:18
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
As mentioned, problems would only be if a perfectionist were buying the car with intentions to show. If the new owner wants a survivor or a very very nice driver then not as big a deal although if mine, I'd be looking at eventual intentions to fix really visible things.

IMO, the expensive to fix items to make it show would be the dash where the starter button was installed next to ign switch and the upholstery and rubber on drivers side. Start button is nicely done but still incorrect. Not many other than Packard people would know it's wrong but for show ----?

Windlace to match or even come close to the existing pattern and color doesn't seem like it's going to happen -- at least not for me so far. Modern premade available I've found isn't cutting it and upholster says fabric with the texture of the existing isn't in any of his suppliers books. If the existing on that car at the drivers bottom can be repaired and reinserted in the clips as well as reinserted on the back door then a moderate cost. Expensive if someone has to change it to make it all match because the headliner gets involved and believe me, 65 year old headliner is delicate -- and expensive if going original material - $800.00 expensive just for the headliner is my quote. Installation extra. The windlace is attached under the headliner so it's almost a given that any attempt to replace it and the headliner will be torn and need to replace as well.

The torn piping on the upholstery is the other big one -- same reason, nothing modern matches. There is also the question of could just the piping be replaced or repaired without messing up the fabric.

Posted on: 2013/6/2 11:51
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Don Skotty
See User information
With all the recent questions about the Electromatic Clutch, I wonder about its status. I'm assuming, given the mechanical condition when the seller acquired the car, that it's not operational.

Also, another important matter is whether the wiring harness has been replaced. Failed wiring is what initially necessitated what turned-out to be a major mechanical restoration (read, lots of dough) of my 47 7 passenger tourer.

Posted on: 2013/6/2 15:17
Don Skotty
1938 Super 8 1604 1116 Club Sedan
1939 Twelve
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JD in KC
See User information
Another cost (for show quality):

I think the hubcap medallions are just painted red. So... 4 Custom hubcap medallions, $540.00 [Hirsch].

Edit: just noticed the left front may be ok ... so the cost might be less.

Attach file:

jpg  (5.53 KB)
188_51ac0c25003d7.jpg 240X167 px

Posted on: 2013/6/2 22:23
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard0
See User information
I asked the owner about the electromatic clutch and here is his answer:

"It had the electromatic aclutch, it has a red pedal, but the mechanism was removed and is missing"

I read briefly about the electromatic clutch and it simply operates automatically and you don't have to depress the clutch when changing gears, correct? There is an instrument you can press that will lock it out and then use the clutch in normal procedure, right?

Posted on: 2013/6/3 6:37
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Quote:

Packard0 wrote:
I asked the owner about the electromatic clutch and here is his answer:

"It had the electromatic aclutch, it has a red pedal, but the mechanism was removed and is missing"

I read briefly about the electromatic clutch and it simply operates automatically and you don't have to depress the clutch when changing gears, correct? There is an instrument you can press that will lock it out and then use the clutch in normal procedure, right?

Essentially correct. If you are sure the car is in neutral you can start the car without touching the clutch but IIRC, there was one instruction that said depress the clutch while starting the car. Maybe for safety, maybe so the starter motor didn't have to turn extra gears. Once the engine was running then it usually didn't need to be touched again.

There is a switch on the instrument panel. On 47's it is labeled Electromatic and is pulled out to disengage or turn the system off.

Posted on: 2013/6/3 8:46
Howard
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

BH
See User information
I'm not all that well-versed on these cars, but Owner's Instructions for the Electromatic Clutch were provided in the January 15, 1941 edition of The Packard Service Letter (SL Vol. 15, No. 11). According to that article, all clutch engagements and disengagments can be performed without touching the pedal - EXCEPT for cold weather starts.

The Serviceman's Training Booklet on Clutch and Electromatic Clutch for 21st and 22nd Series (1947-48) has an in-depth and well-illustrated explanation of the (revised) system.

The Electromatic Clutch might seem like an overly-complicated, Rube Goldberg affair to some, but I think it's an amazing piece of engineering for its day - unlike so much fluff on modern cars.

If I had a Packard that was originally equipped with the Electromatic option, I'd want it all there and working.

Posted on: 2013/6/3 9:32
 Top  Print   

(1) 2 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved