Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
103 user(s) are online (68 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 101

Ozstatman, moodydavid16, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 »

1899 Packard for sale or scammer?
Home away from home
Home away from home

patgreen
See User information

Posted on: 2013/6/11 19:40
When two men ride the same horse, one has to be in the back...
 Top  Print   

Re: 1899 Packard for sale or scammer?
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
If it's true it would be about the biggest news in the Packard world since 1956.

Posted on: 2013/6/11 19:48
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
And for those interested, please send your deposit (bank draft only) to their offices in Nigeria.

Posted on: 2013/6/11 19:58
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Allen Kahl
See User information
Translate to SCAM. If memory serves me correctly there is only 1 1898 Packard and it is at Le high university and I doubt they are willing to part with it.

Posted on: 2013/6/11 20:13
Al

1955 Patrician
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Tim Cole
See User information
Maybe it's a reproduction. They found a block and built a car. The motor is probably not 1899, but the rest of it plays the part. Or maybe it's a pile of parts with a block claimed to be from 1899.

Posted on: 2013/6/11 23:15
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Craig the Clipper Man
See User information
I recall reading in a book about the Packard Motorcar Company that James Ward Packard produced only handful of cars in 1899. The oldest Packard that I have ever seen was a 1901 in a car museum in Virginia. The Model A was basically a prototype. From 1899 to 1901, Packard produced 49 cars. It seems to me that the odds that this is a true 1899 Model A are slim to nil. More likely, it is a shell atop a frame from a later year that resembles an 1899. A buyer is probably more likely to win a lottery than find and acquire at 1899 Packard.

Posted on: 2013/6/12 8:10
You can make a lot of really neat things from the parts left over after you rebuild your engine ...
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
The best source of information on the earliest of Packards is now Terry Martin's Packard - The Warren Years, published in 2006 Terry was also the author of the chapter in the Kimes-edited book on the first Packards but a trove of information found after that in a long-lost George Weiss ledger book rendered some of the information inaccurate and the Martin book corrects that info. I believe only 1 Packard (the one residing at Lehigh University) was completed in 1899 (in November); if the concept of "model year" cars existed then, the others would be 1900 and later. Some details on the Martin book are in this site's Packard Bookshelf section.

I've had the great experience to see the 1899 Packard move under it's own power twice, both times in 1999; once at the Lehigh University (Burn Foundation) Concours and then later the same year at the Packard Centennial in Warren. If you were at either of those events you have some wonderful memories. I have photos of those events if anyone is interested.

Posted on: 2013/6/12 8:37
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

1940-120
See User information
Many years ago I took a class in robotics at Lehigh and was fortunate to see the Packard. It was very interesting and definitely worth the visit across campus. I would suggest anyone in the area also take the time to visit this historic automobile.

O.D. I for one would like to see the photos. I also took some but since they were with 35mm I have no idea where to even find them. Thanks in advance

Posted on: 2013/6/12 9:03
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
I was also present when the 1899 Packard Model A was being driven from its display area at the 1999 Pebble Beach Concours d'Elegance. Quite a sight and sound. Packard was the featured marque to celebrate the 100th anniversary.

(o{}o)

Posted on: 2013/6/12 9:52
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
O.D. I for one would like to see the photos. I also took some but since they were with 35mm I have no idea where to even find them. Thanks in advance

Mine were also 35mm transparencies and I have no idea where they are either. But I'll locate a few of them, convert to print and scan, maybe this evening?

Posted on: 2013/6/12 10:05
 Top  Print   

(1) 2 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved