Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
244 user(s) are online (142 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 242

dallas, CartRich, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 »

Larger fans and water pump hubs
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Saw an ad in the current Turning Wheels for 6 blade Stude truck fans. Ad also said they could be used as a heavy duty fan in cars. No mention of the overall fan diameter but it has a much larger center hole than the Mopar fans we've looked at before. If they would fit with minimal added work might be an option for those looking for larger fans when adding AC.

Has anyone compared the hubs on the Packard pump and the Stude V8 pump to see how much difference there might be. Just wondering (if the overall fan size is reasonable) if that could possibly be an easier adaption than Mopar and more correct looking than the aftermarket fans.

Attach file:

jpg  (20.28 KB)
209_51d19eace01fa.jpg 417X540 px

Posted on: 2013/6/30 10:02
Howard
 Top  Print   

Re: Larger fans and water pump hubs
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
The parts manual lists 3 fans for pre & postwar Clippers. I'll confess to not remembering much or even being that close and personal with details on pre 51 cars back in earlier times.

This is the fan that was on the 356 engine and before wasting time cleaning and painting, just want to confirm that the non symmetrical 5 blade shape is normal. Looks to be stamped that way and don't see any evidence of damage but that sure is a strange blade arrangement.

Next question is with the different fan used in AC cars, there is mention of a spacer. I don't have the AC fan or know the difference in prewars -- maybe the 6 blade was used instead of the 4 or 5 then too -- but suspect spacer might be around 1/4 inch to give plenty of clearance for the AC belt. Anyone concur?

Sure would be nice to know if the 6 blade Stude fans were anywhere close in size to those Packard used. Hard to tell with the ad but it's from a major vendor so maybe they are a reasonably available item. Is there no one on site with a Stude pump lying around that could compare.

Attach file:

jpg  (51.15 KB)
209_51d19e8f04141.jpg 640X630 px

jpg  (23.91 KB)
209_51d19e97ea659.jpg 360X640 px

Posted on: 2013/7/1 10:22
Howard
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Your pix appears to be a normal 356 fan.

Posted on: 2013/7/1 10:30
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
I agree with O_D, and it looks just like the one on my 47 Custom. The odd arrangement of the fan blades causes one to question it, but it is smooth and moves lots of air.

(o{}o)

Posted on: 2013/7/1 10:42
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
Howard, when I first took delivery of my 47 Custom, it was equipped with a 6-bladed after market flex fan. It was a universal type fan with the bolt holes arrayed in a fan shape to fit different diameter bolt patterns. The fan shaped bolt holes in the fan are self-centering. The hub hole in the fan was smaller than the water pump hub. The previous owner installed this fan with some spacer washers between the fan and the water pump hub so the fan would clear the larger pump hub. It ran smooth and true, but I wanted an authentic Packard fan on the car. Later I installed the flex fan on the 55 clipper using some spacer washers. It too runs smooth and true.

(o{}o)

Posted on: 2013/7/1 10:51
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Thanks for the confirmations on the fan shape and the large air flow amount. Will clean it up and give it a go. Even though the car will probably wind up being a 20 footer, am still trying to do things reasonably correct or at least with minimal modern that is well disguised.

Next problem will be finding a fan spacer. Am a little reluctant to only use washers with this heavy fan. The pilot on the 356 engine is 1 5/8". Largest in commercial spacers seem to be about 1 1/8" on the pump side and 5/8" on the fan side. Not a great out of the box combination so having something specially machined is probably going to be the only option.

Posted on: 2013/7/1 11:53
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
IIRC u has a lathe???? Go to discount auto partsstore and buy an scb spacer. Chuck itin the lathe and turn the rear recess to match the Packard hub. Then install any after market fan u like.
Thats what i did on my 56.

Posted on: 2013/7/1 12:10
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=7245
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

BDeB
See User information
Quote:

HH56 wrote:
This is the fan that was on the 356 engine and before wasting time cleaning and painting, just want to confirm that the non symmetrical 5 blade shape is normal. Looks to be stamped that way and don't see any evidence of damage but that sure is a strange blade arrangement.

The non symmetrical shape is to reduce noise from the fan since a symmetrical shape can generate harmonic frequencies more easily.

Posted on: 2013/7/1 12:51
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JD in KC
See User information
BDeB beat me to the answer. The asymmetrical arrangement of 5 blades is one of the first things I look for when trying to determine if an engine is a 356.

Attach file:

jpg  (14.21 KB)
188_51d1cbc2937e8.jpg 489X336 px

Posted on: 2013/7/1 13:30
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

su8overdrive
See User information
As the others have assured you, yours is an original 356 fan, identical to that on my '47 Super. Likely overkill,
but so long as your fan and pulley are off the car, have a machine shop balance them. It can't hurt, doesn't cost much, tho' you'll probably be just fine otherwise.

Posted on: 2013/7/1 14:51
 Top  Print   

(1) 2 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved