Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
204 user(s) are online (146 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 204

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Help Please! '35 Packard 120
Just popping in
Just popping in

sphillipsl
See User information
Hi all,
I'm new to the forum here and hope someone may be able to help out. My name is Linda and here's the scoop.
Long story short -
I inherited a '35 Packard 120 4 Dr Sedan from my father in much need of restoration.
Was referred to a person local to me (So. Oregon) who has turned out to be a thief. My car which was drivable - even though it limped along, is now minus the engine and transmission, 1 front and 1 rear door, 1 front fender, hood ornament, 1 complete head light.
So, not only are we out the deposit $, we are out all these parts to get a real restorer onto our project.
The courts are pursuing a Grand Jury case, as it turns out the man (Mike Hardy - Mike's Cool Rides) has done good work through the years, but he has also done this in other states and at least 20 persons locally are involved as victims in this current case.
What I need - first $ estimates for my loss of the working engine, transmission, doors, fender and headlights. I'm finding some prices on minor items, but can't find the bigger items. I need this for the court case and loss documents for tax purposes.
THEN, I may be in the market to buy such items in the future to seek to go forward in this restoration.
I LOVE this car and my husband and I had pleasant and hopeful plans for joining a car club, going on road trips and starting a chauffeur business.
Thank you for your input and help!!
Linda

Attach file:

jpg  (135.65 KB)
44610_531f4655e7dda.jpg 1280X960 px

Posted on: 2014/3/11 12:22
 Top  Print   

Re: Help Please! '35 Packard 120
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
G'day Linda(sphillipsl),
to PackardInfo but sorry to hear about the problems you've mentioned which unfortunately I can't answer. Instead, I invite you to include your '35 120 Sedan Touring Sedan in the Packard Owner's Registry here on PackardInfo.

EDIT - Thanks to Joe for the body identification.

Posted on: 2014/3/11 14:14
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Joe Santana
See User information
Linda,
Sorry to hear that story. You definitely need to contact car clubs in your area and the Packard club,http://www.packardsoforegon.org/

I'm sure someone would correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe you have a touring sedan.

http://www.nadaguides.com/Classic-Cars/1935/Packard/120/4-Door-Touring-Sedan/Values

Here are pics of Club sedan (sweeping fenders, not it)
Standard sedan (sloping back)
Touring sedan (trunk bumped out)

There are several reputable parts dealers who are members of this forum who could accurately estimate and possibly certify value of those items such as David Flack (flackmaster) and David Moe, Packard Seattle.

You could check Kanter Packard Parts and Max Merritt who may have prices for some of the missing items online, but certainly you could call.

EDIT Grants Pass... Other people 'taken'https://www.facebook.com/pages/Mikes-Cool-Rides/251629271559414
EDITED photo

Attach file:

jpg  (80.83 KB)
1067_531f69dcc6c75.jpg 750X587 px

jpg  (112.13 KB)
1067_531f6cec95e23.jpg 1024X768 px

jpg  (14.93 KB)
1067_531fa98182248.jpg 480X208 px

Posted on: 2014/3/11 15:04
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Jim L. in OR
See User information
I'm very, very sorry to hear about your loss. I have many happy memories of a 1935 Packard 120 as my grandmother had one which eventually became my first car, though I was too young to drive when I "bought" from her for $50 with the money I made selling Christmas Cards door to door when I was 12 years old. Ir was through that car that I came to love Packards at an early age and was introduced to the '55-56 Packard Patricians that led to me finally buying one I found through one of the members (Portlandon) on this site.

I am curious as to when you bought your '35 as I seem to recall someone contacting this site a few years ago about buying a '35 120 from somewhere in Oregon and displaying this very picture.

I had to sell my '35 when I left for college and completely lost contact with it. Whenever I see a picture or read a story about someone with such a car I keep hoping that it is a happy ending for mine.

I wish you every bit of good luck there is in finding the missing pieces of your car AND in finding and putting this Mike Hardy out of business (and circulation) once and for all.

Posted on: 2014/3/11 16:15
1951 200 Deluxe Touring Sedan
1951 200 Deluxe Touring Sedan (parts ?)
1951 Patrician Touring Sedan
1955 Patrician Touring Sedan
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

flackmaster
See User information
Linda - I am so very sorry about your situation, I truly hope this does not cloud the vision you have for your Packard.
Yes, I can provide market pricing, and availability of most of the items you require. As an attorney, (and a self-acknowledged know it all on 35-37 120's), I fully understand the format and language you may require for legal action.
Best to contact me directly; flackmaster at sbcglobal point net brings you right to me.

DAF

Posted on: 2014/3/11 16:15
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
Joe,

Isn't the pic you posted of a '35 Club Sedan that of a Super Eight Club Sedan? Maybe you meant to post this which has the same fender lines as the others?

Posted on: 2014/3/11 16:16
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Tim Cole
See User information
Hi Linda:

The guy is probably on crack. I have run into a lot of rotten apples involved in old cars. One of the worst ended up with a contract on his head and the cops apparently happy to do the paperwork and go home. For some reason these people end up being loved which is why the world is full of them.

In a court of law you need paperwork from a taxpaying vendor. Thus, you should try Max Merritt Auto or Kanter Auto Parts. Both have lots of Packard parts. There also is a Packard Museum (Citizen's Motorcar) in Dayton, Ohio that has an inventory they vend from. You can find these folks on the internet. Even if they don't have the parts they can give you a price on a contract/appraisal for acquisition.

Another approach is to find a like vehicle for sale in similar condition and sue for replacement cost. Your car without the powertrain and doors is scrap metal. Don't forget to include the transport costs which run into thousands.

I knew a girl who had her father's Oldsmobile. It got broadsided and the insurance company tried to rip her off by paying a constructive total loss. She sued for replacement and got another Oldsmobile.

Hope this helps.

Posted on: 2014/3/11 16:43
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved