Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
207 user(s) are online (134 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 207

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Article on Packard Straight 12
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
See this link to an Old Motor article on the Packard Straight 12.

Posted on: 2015/5/6 16:35
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print   

Re: Article on Packard Straight 12
Home away from home
Home away from home

Tim Cole
See User information
Interesting tread wear pattern. I assume the right front tire is bald due to high speed trials on the proving ground.

Thanks for sharing the link.

Posted on: 2015/5/6 16:42
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
There have been any number of good articles on the "Monoblock 12" (or the "12-45" as it was titled in several Werner Gubitz style drawings) in The Packard Cormorant and also a brief description in the Kimes-edited book, pg. 306 in the 1st edition. The story goes that it was re-engined with a conventional 8th series engine and exported, most often cited is export to South America. Some years back there was a flurry of activity within the hobby that it has been located - I think it was Neal Donovan who was hot on the trail - which turned out to be cold. That photo of the engine had apparently not yet surfaced at the time of publication of the Kimes tome.

Posted on: 2015/5/6 17:47
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

BDC
See User information
I bet it had some ridiculous torque.
I never heard of this prototype, what was the thought behind a straight 12? Can you imagine how that long hood looked from behind the wheel? 1 word descripes it all: impressive!

Posted on: 2015/5/6 18:05
I can explain it to you but I can't understand it for you

Bad company corrupts good character!

Farming: the art of losing money while working 100 hours a week to feed people who think you are trying to kill them
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

RogerDetroit
See User information
The monoblock 12 is a great story and I am glad the word is getting out about all of Packard's achievements.

For those of you who clicked onto the Old Motor article and read some of the reader's comments one fellow speculated that the photo was taken at the PPG. I do not believe that to be correct. So I added the following:

While we have an aircraft hanger at the Packard Proving Grounds, it is not the hanger in the photo. The subject hanger is much larger in width and height than ours and has stone work at the corner columns. The hanger at the PPG is an all steel-sided structure and much smaller in scale.

My opinion is that the photo was taken at Detroit City Airport - about 2 miles away from the Packard Plant on E. Grand Boulevard.

I have also looked at photos Packard Field at Gratiot Road and Frazho Road, but all of the hangers there are small and all steel buildings. Secondly, I looked at photos of the Grosse Ile (Isle) Airport (near where Warren Packard suffered his fatal accident) and ruled that our too. Finally, I reviewed the seaplane hanger at Windmill Pointe on the border of Detroit and Grosse Pointe Park, MI, but that building is very much smaller.

Hope this helps.

Posted on: 2015/5/6 19:33
-

1941 Model 160 Convertible Sedan
[url=https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/registry
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved