Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
167 user(s) are online (108 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 165

MVS, todd landis, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 »

55-56 Speedometer gears and cable
Home away from home
Home away from home

Craig Hendrickson
See User information
Does anyone know the speedometer cable RPM vs engine RPM in top gear (stick or T-U converter locked up) for 55-56?

I am in the process of getting a speedometer driven gear and cable for the B-W T-10 4-speed in my Panther. The T-10 has a drive gear on the main shaft, but nothing else is there related to the speedometer. If I know the RPM ratio, then I can obtain the correct driven gear, etc. for the rear end ratio and tire diameter I am using.

Craig

Posted on: 2017/3/6 13:21
Nuke them from orbit, it's the only way to be sure! Ellen Ripley "Aliens"
Time flies like an arrow. Frui
 Top  Print   

Re: 55-56 Speedometer gears and cable
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
Craig,

Know it's off topic, but have to ask.

Re the "B-W T-10 4-speed in my Panther", was this a bolt-in? Meaning, did the T-10 bolt straight to the Packard bellhousing? If it did that OK, what about length of the spigot shaft and the diameter of the nose of the shaft for fitment of the pilot bearing?

I've more questions but they're dependent on whether it was a bolt-in swap!

And sorry I can't answer your question, although this post will bring it back to the top and will gain it more exposure.

Posted on: 2017/3/8 21:47
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Craig Hendrickson
See User information
Oz: yes, the T-10 bolts directly to the Packard clutch housing and the front bearing retainer also fits correctly. This is from a prior post sometime in the past by a member who's name I forget:

Quote:
I believe I have cracked the code for the pilot bearing, which is .590" ID, 1.850" OD, and about .5" wide. In millimeters, that equals 15MM x 47MM x 13MM. Bearing #5-4712 is for some Mitsubisi alternators, and is: 15MM x 47MM x 14MM. It is a double sealed, ball bearing...

I found that the OD is correct, but that the ID is a little small and has to be reamed out. Another poster claimed that the input snout has to be shortened some, but I did not find that to be a problem.

The stock T-U crossmember has to be modified like shown on this page:

http://1956packardpanther.com/Panther/4SpeedManual.html

Craig

Posted on: 2017/3/9 11:22
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
With the work you did to adapt the Packard crossmember to the 4 speed and the work Steward did with his 700R4 conversion I wonder if a universal item something like the Trans Dapt crossmembers would require less fabrication.

On your original question, I found this item at Bob's Speedometer. It doesn't exactly answer the question because it sounds more like it depends on the total number of revs per mile vs the actual speed they go around. If your 55 has the stock rear end and tire size you might be able to do the test and see if the 1000 revs per mile holds up for Packard.

Attach file:

jpg  (224.62 KB)
209_58c18f6e33416.jpg 1402X870 px

Posted on: 2017/3/9 11:47
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Craig Hendrickson
See User information
Thanks Howard. I calculated the Panther driveshaft revs per mile at 2293 and sent an email to a supplier for the correct driven gear.

Craig

Posted on: 2017/3/9 17:20
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
Thanks Craig for confirming that, with some provisos, the T-10 bolts-in. And the Packard Panther link which is very informative, much appreciated.

As mentioned I have another question, which you may not be able to answer but I'm sure someone else probably will(Maybe Ross?). Being - Will an earlier Packard manual trans(pre '55) bolt up to the V8 manual bellhousing?

Posted on: 2017/3/9 19:14
Mal
/o[]o\
====

What's this?
Here's how!
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Craig Hendrickson
See User information
Re: other, earlier transmissions bolting into Packard V-8s: I give a qualified "Yes". My friend Paul in Las Vegas pulled the T-10 out of his 1956 Executive restoration and replaced it with a T-85 3-speed w/OD, mainly because he has a 4.09:1 rear end (I have a 3.07:1 in Panther). The T-85 fits too, probably with the same provisos, but I don't know the year of the T-85/OD.

Craig

Posted on: 2017/3/9 21:47
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
Quote:

Ozstatman wrote:
...As mentioned I have another question, which you may not be able to answer but I'm sure someone else probably will(Maybe Ross?). Being - Will an earlier Packard manual trans(pre '55) bolt up to the V8 manual bellhousing?

Mal, yes, the earlier Packard-built manually shifted 3-speed transmission (with and without overdrive) will bolt up to the V8 manual bell housing. See my earlier posting on this subject referencing the conversion my father did.

(o[]o)

Posted on: 2017/3/10 11:25
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
"See my earlier posting on this subject referencing the conversion my father did"

John, I read your post but obviously what you were saying didn't sink in at the time!

Posted on: 2017/3/10 17:47
Mal
/o[]o\
====

What's this?
Here's how!
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Tobs
See User information
Hi Craig.
I was just installing a new speedo gear in my 53 clipper, and I checked with a cordless drill to make sure the gear, cable and speedo were working together.
High speed on my drill is 1250rpm, and that read 60mph on the speedo. That might help. You could try the same thing with your speedo. I dont know if 53 and 55-56 are the same ratio, but probably are.

Posted on: 2017/3/15 5:10
1953 Clipper Delux Club Sedan, 1969 912, 1990 Miata, 2009 Ford S-Max.
 Top  Print   

(1) 2 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved