Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
203 user(s) are online (132 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 203

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Packard Mech. in Colorado
Just popping in
Just popping in

Patrick
See User information
I purchased a 1950 Packard and the tranny is leaking, need a good mech. in Colorado. 720-315-4847. When I drive it, it doesn't leak but when I park and come back the next day. all of its fluid is on the floor. Seems to be coming from the drivers rear tranny area????

Attach file:

jpg  (335.68 KB)
159103_5919cd146b97e.jpg 1920X1440 px

jpg  (130.19 KB)
159103_5919f38162d2a.jpg 1200X1600 px

jpg  (164.99 KB)
159103_5919f38ed94a1.jpg 1200X1600 px

png  (601.86 KB)
159103_5919f39868c51.png 640X1136 px

Posted on: 2017/5/15 10:45
 Top  Print   

Re: Packard Mech. in Colorado
Home away from home
Home away from home

Ross
See User information
Very interesting your car has a 1956 transmission installed, which is no small feat--I can tell because of the aluminum housing and the speedometer drive. It would take someone very conversant with Packards and parts interchange to do that swap.

When it sits all of the fluid comes out?? You mean all three gallons? If it is coming out of the vent that you pictured it is because the fluid level is too high and when the car sits and the torque convertor drains back overnight it reaches the vent. With the conversion of your car to the 56 trans there is a good chance that the dipstick does not register properly.

Per one of the service counselors, there is a way to get an accurate fluid level even when the dipstick is suspect. There is a brass plug at the back of the transmission housing just above the pan, facing directly to the rear. Remove it right after shutting off the engine and let it drain down. Reinstall the plug and then add one quart of fluid. That is the correct full level and you can take a file and mark your dipstick accurately.

Then even if your convertor drains back when sitting, the fluid level should still not reach the vent and run out.

Posted on: 2017/5/15 16:50
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
If it still has the 50 straight 8 I am impressed with the trans conversion too or did they transplant a 56 V8 and trans in the car.

Posted on: 2017/5/15 17:18
Howard
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
G'day Patrick,

to PackardInfo, I invite you to include your '50 Convertible in the Packard Owner's Registry.

Posted on: 2017/5/15 17:20
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

64avanti
See User information
If this is your starter Packard, Bravo!

Posted on: 2017/5/15 17:41
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Let the ride decide
See User information
In addition to what has been suggested.

Have you tried reaching out to a PAC region closest to you?
Look at the regions listed on this site and contact them. Someone might know a place to help you out.
http://www.packardclub.org

Nice car, good luck.
If your a do it yourself person, this site is a good place to "ask the man who owns one".

Posted on: 2017/5/15 17:58
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

58L8134
See User information
Hi Patrick

Welcome to the most knowledgeable, helpful, generous and encouraging Packard forum going., Civil too, there are no dumb questions here, we all have much to learn. Good advice so far to join one of the national Packard clubs and your local region for not only resources in your area but also the friendships that develop from a common interest.

Now that you are a 23rd Series Super Deluxe Eight owner, you'll want to avail yourself of the excellent book Packard 1948 to 1950 by Robert J, Neal. It chronicles all aspects of the 22nd and 23rd Series models. Its the absolute 'bible' covering these cars.

Please start a project blog in that section to record your progress with its restoration. It makes posting questions and referencing answers easier plus many of us enjoy following as you grapple with problems and learning what to do to correct them.

Again, welcome, good luck with your Packard.

Steve

Posted on: 2017/5/16 8:00
.....epigram time.....
Proud 1953 Clipper Deluxe owner. Thinking about my next Packard, want a Clipper Deluxe Eight, manual shift with overdrive.
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved