Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
93 user(s) are online (69 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 92

Aiden, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 »

Cheap 'rollers'
Home away from home
Home away from home

ScottG
See User information
This probably seems like a rather elementary question, but where should I look to purchase a pair of cheap "roller" tires (no tread necessary...just need to hold air) for my '47 Custom? I've never had to buy "garbage" tires to move a car around the shop before and I'm just wondering where others have had luck? Will tire stores sell you the junk they take off customer cars or am I stuck cruising Craigslist for overpriced used tires sold by interesting folk in questionable neighborhoods?

Thanks...any input is appreciated

Posted on: 2017/5/31 11:39
 Top  Print   

Re: Cheap 'rollers'
Home away from home
Home away from home

fredkanter
See User information
I would think that gas stations would be glad to give you take-off 15" tires, around here they have to pay to scrap them

Posted on: 2017/5/31 11:59
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Stewart Ballard
See User information
I had the same issue with my 400. I don't want to buy new tires until its time to drive it.

Tire dealers will almost always sell you their used tires.
The hard part is getting your hands on the right size. I needed 15" and no one had them.

Where I live all the farmers use those old 15" tires on their decades old farm wagons. Even the guys that work at the tire centers have those old wagons so they always get first did's...always.

I finally found a used tire shop that just happened to be close to a pull-a-part and they had a couple sets. They buy them from those parts cars for nothing and resell them to us. I think I spent $125 for 4 tires.

Posted on: 2017/5/31 12:06
Stewart Ballard
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Depends on your state too and if there are any regs against used tires and also who you go to.

For example, when I got new tires for the daily driver I wanted to mount the old tires on the Packard wheels for roll arounds. They would have fit just fine but store would not mount them because the rubber was showing signs of wear and was over a certain age. Something about if they did it then there was a state law and liability. Some independents of the questionable neighborhood type are not as conscientious (or maybe don't have the same restrictions) so you might be forced to go to them. That is what the chain store said to try. For roll arounds, some have also bought really cheap modern radials from Walmart or wherever as an option.

Posted on: 2017/5/31 12:11
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Craig Hendrickson
See User information
Around here in Pahrump, NV we have a couple, maybe 3, places to buy used tires. I bought rollers for my Panther and IIRC they cost $20 for the set of 4 mounted. I certainly would not drive them anywhere on a road.

Craig

Posted on: 2017/5/31 12:35
Nuke them from orbit, it's the only way to be sure! Ellen Ripley "Aliens"
Time flies like an arrow. Frui
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

ScottG
See User information
Thanks, all. Very interesting reading. The car isn't moving under its own power now (or maybe ever) but the rubber on the rims does need to hold air so I just need to get something that will stay round.

I think I'll try Fred's suggestion of a gas station first, in hopes that they'll work with me without the drama of "liability." If that doesn't work, you've all given me good options to persue.

Thanks!

Posted on: 2017/5/31 12:48
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
I never gave much thought to "rollers" until just a few weeks ago when I put new tires on my '34 Eight to replace the nearly 30 year-old Lesters (7.00 x 17) which visually at least were still in great condition. I was planning on just disposing of them at our recycle center (which accepts tires) but then, to my surprise, I got an unsolicited offer of $25 each for them to use on a rolling chassis.

Attach file:

jpg  (120.77 KB)
177_592f03a64b6d6.jpg 1500X978 px

Posted on: 2017/5/31 12:55
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

John
See User information
Those were probably better made tires than the new replacements are. I'm not sure what they did to tires anymore but 10 years is pushing it anymore.......

John

Posted on: 2017/5/31 20:56
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
I see shops all over that sell both new and used tires but I'm not sure if it's state law here in California that limits it or if it's only the shop looking out for their own liability and using the state as an excuse. I've had some pretty awful tires mounted, or tubes added to my own tires, without any problem. Maybe it's because I didn't want them balanced that made it obvious that they would not be used on the road.

Posted on: 2017/6/1 2:11
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

fredkanter
See User information
Something does not make sense, perhaps some state laws explain that as some are illogical. If selling a used tire is illegal or a huge liability then is selling a used car with 5 used tires on it also a problem?? Used cars have 100% used parts so is selling a used car illegal or a liability problem??

There was a law proposed in some state or in congress to make it mandatory to replace tires after 6 years for safety reasons. A few summers ago I drove my '52 to a national meet on all 5 original tires with plenty of tread and 25,000 miles on them. Guess who was pushing the law, ...the tire industry.

Posted on: 2017/6/1 9:58
 Top  Print   

(1) 2 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved