Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
116 user(s) are online (78 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 116

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 »

VIN or chassis number from engine number
Just popping in
Just popping in

Englishman
See User information
Dear All
Is there any possibility of identifying a chassis number from an engine number, I've bought a Packard Special that's engine number is clear but I can't find the chassis number anywhere and I'm worried it might have been cut out during shortening.
Cheers
Simon

Posted on: 2017/9/27 15:36
 Top  Print   

Re: VIN or chassis number from engine number
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
G'day Simon(Englishman),
to PackardInfo. Probably need to know more about your "Special" to be better able to identify it to help. I believe earlier cars may have had chassis numbers whereas later vehicles don't. As far as I know there's no correlation between engine numbers and chassis numbers, although they are usually 'close' in earlier cars and not at all for what can be loosely termed a VIN number. What era or year of vehicle are you looking at? Once the year/era is known those more knowledgeable then me may be able to help. Photos may assist.

And, once identified, I invite you to include your Packard Special in the Packard Owner's Registry.

And for the benefit of others, a translation is probably in order: "Specials" are akin to Speedsters and can be modified considerably from Stock.

Posted on: 2017/9/27 15:56
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Can be a complex topic, if you can, narrow down the time frame for a better response.

The only time a chassis number actually appeared on a car is when it was part of the vehicle number for the sale of a "chassis only" as in the sale of a bodyless chassis for custom coachwork. Other than that uncommon occurrence, chassis numbers were not applied to the vehicle.

Packard used vehicle numbers, motor numbers, and in earlier cars frame numbers, axle numbers, and between 1929 and 1956 body serial or theft-proof numbers. Steering gears, transmissions and differentials often also had unique numbers.

But yes, if the engine is original to the car, some identification of the chassis is possible but not always back to the exact chassis but perhaps to several similar chassis differing in wheelbase.

Posted on: 2017/9/27 16:16
 Top  Print   

Just popping in
Just popping in

Englishman
See User information
Morning

Thank you both for responding so quickly, car forums really come into their own when you venture away from manufacturers that you've had no experience of, this is my first Packard.

As far as I can tell this is a 1937 car but the engine, from what I can tell by looking at online photographs, seems to look the same in cars spreading over from the 20's to 40's, the engine number is 240026.

I've tried to attach a photo but I keep getting a strange page popping up that says "the protector identified an attacking action", seems harsh! If it's not attached to this message then I'll try again tonight.

Cheers
Simon

Posted on: 2017/9/28 0:59
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
Simon,

Take a look at this FAQ, particularly the second post and special characters. Probably why the Website won't accept the photos.

Posted on: 2017/9/28 1:39
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
That engine number corresponds to the 6th Series (1929) small 8-cylinder models 626 (126" wheelbase) and 633 (133" wheelbase). It would be an L-head 8 cylinder with a cast aluminum crankcase and cast iron cylinder bores, updraft carburetion, and distributor mounted on the cylinder head. The motor number would be on the driver's side leg of the front engine casting near where it attaches to the frame.

If the car were a 1937 as you suggest, then it would have independent coil spring front suspension. If a 6th Series, then a solid beam front axle and leaf springs.

Posted on: 2017/9/28 7:32
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Quote:
I've tried to attach a photo but I keep getting a strange page popping up that says "the protector identified an attacking action", seems harsh! If it's not attached to this message then I'll try again tonight.

In addition to any illegal characters in the file name a certain numerical format will also give the error message. The default method some cameras use of identifying photos is a format which can cause the problem. I believe the website protection sees a file name with any series of numbers separated by a dot as possibly being a rogue IP address trying to redirect.

Using this example of the Mac OS screen capture format showing the date and time, the time numbers appearing after the at would need to be edited. If you tried to post the Mac default format of Screen Shot 2017-03-23 at 9.24.36 AM.jpg it would fail but if changed to something like Screen Shot 2017-03-23.jpg it would post without the error msg.

Posted on: 2017/9/28 8:55
Howard
 Top  Print   

Just popping in
Just popping in

Englishman
See User information
Aha, I think it worked!

Attach file:

png  (805.26 KB)
166911_59cd6b47392d2.png 1024X689 px

Posted on: 2017/9/28 16:36
 Top  Print   

Just popping in
Just popping in

Englishman
See User information
Well, I won't actually take delivery of the car until sometime next week so many thanks to Owen, I'll properly investigate then to see if I can find some other clues to the identity.
However, as you can see from the photograph the car has been quite dramatically altered so I'm not sure what identifying marks are left apart from the engine number at the moment.
The way you've described how the engine should look sounds exactly right as I remember it, I'll take a look at the suspension next week.
If I do manage to find the chassis and or body numbers, is there an organisation I can contact for a Heritage certificate to help with an age related UK registration?
By the way, before anyone screams in horror at the photo, I don't like the colour either so any suggestions as to a more appropriate alternative..............
Cheers
Simon

Posted on: 2017/9/28 16:45
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

BDC
See User information
I found a picture of the engine on this car. Looks more like a 37 320 than a 1929 but I let more knowledgeable members chime in for a definite answer.

Attach file:

jpg  (51.40 KB)
5061_59cd791870e79.jpg 800X600 px

Posted on: 2017/9/28 17:35
I can explain it to you but I can't understand it for you

Bad company corrupts good character!

Farming: the art of losing money while working 100 hours a week to feed people who think you are trying to kill them
 Top  Print   

(1) 2 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved