Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
185 user(s) are online (119 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 184

Ozstatman, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

1934 Packard V-12 grill shell removal
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

DonO
See User information
I am trying to remove the grill shell from my 1934 V-12. I have removed the bolts from the inside edge of the shell, the bolt on the center strip and the center clip snap in's are loose. What else holds the shell? Do you lift it up to remove?

Posted on: 2018/11/10 20:56
 Top  Print   

Re: 1934 Packard V-12 grill shell removal
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
To my knowledge the Twelve assembly is no different than the Eight and Super Eight. I don't know if there are alternate ways, everyone I know including myself have removed the radiator, shutters and shell as a single assembly, then laid that horizontally on a bench and removed the shell.

The assembly is very heavy, you'll want 2 or more helpers. Turn the headlights outward and wrap with a blanket to protect. The horn trumpets may also be in harm's way, consider removing them. Take note of washers/shims underneath between the crossmember and the radiator cradle which are used to align the assembly.

Posted on: 2018/11/10 21:11
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
G'day DonO,
to PackardInfo, and I invite you to include your '34 Twelve Packard in the Packard Owner's Registry.

Posted on: 2018/11/10 23:38
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print   

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

DonO
See User information
I have removed the horns and headlamps. I fail to see why the complete assembly including radiator would need to be removed and why it would matter if it is laying on its side for removal. Please explain what I am missing.

Posted on: 2018/11/11 15:01
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Sorry, I can't explain what you're missing, I can only tell you how myself and others I know have done it. Details are pretty vague, it was about 40 years ago that I removed mine.

If you find an easier way, by all means let us have the details.

Posted on: 2018/11/11 15:17
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packardbarry
See User information
It is an assy and thus has to be removed as an assy. Ive done many. AND to get the shell back on you will be glad it is on the bench.

Believe when OD is saying to lay it horizontally on a bench he is meaning inside to the bench/flat; not the side.

I hook onto the radiator bolt hole where the body bars bolt to with an overhead. Best to remove the fan and water pump.

Posted on: 2018/11/11 17:28
 Top  Print   

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

DonO
See User information
Ok, thanks. Once on the bench any advice on how to proceed with the grill removal?

Posted on: 2018/11/12 9:44
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packardbarry
See User information
Coming off pull from the top or the bottom will work.

Putting back on the best is first the bottom then go to the top. Takes a little pulling, pushing and #@$%&&@ but u get there and its tight.

Posted on: 2018/11/12 11:21
 Top  Print   

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

DonO
See User information
Ok as suggested I removed the grill shell and radiator as a complete unit. The reason the shell cannot be removed in place is that there are 4 small bolts at the bottom of the shell that cannot be accessed while the unit is in place. Go figure.

Posted on: 2018/11/17 20:15
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved