Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
145 user(s) are online (75 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 143

Bingo, Don B, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Identification Help
Just popping in
Just popping in

jspytek
See User information
Hello, I'm a new Packard owner. The title I received says K226326 which matches the engine. According to the PDF on this site, PackardEngineSerials.pdf, the engine number is correct for the year and the model of car.

However the body says Vehicle Number 2562-18903.

My biggest concern is the title which I have to have transfered into my name yet has vehicle miles of 42534, while the odometer says 41519. The prior owner was a collector of Packards and LaSalles. I'm trying to see if this title is correct before I send it into the state and lose it.

Is this still the correct title for this car? I noticed a few years later there are VIN numbers but I believe the 1952 predated a standard VIN number. I just find it odd they didn't use the Vehicle Number for the title.

Any help would be appreciated.

Posted on: 2018/11/7 1:01
 Top  Print   

Re: Identification Help
Home away from home
Home away from home

bkazmer
See User information
it's not unusual for an older vehicle to be titled on the engine number (mine is also). This is perhaps even more common with Packards because the vehicle plate was easily removed or lost. That said, I'd suggest visiting DMV in person rather than mailing stuff in - if you don't think the method proposed is fair, leave and return to a different clerk another day. The DMV is concerned with evidence that you paid the tax - be sure you are all set there

Posted on: 2018/11/7 8:00
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Yes, not at all uncommon to find old cars where the motor number has been used to title it. It was of course the original intent that the car be titled by the number in the space called "vehicle number" on the metal plate on your driver's side forward door jamb or A pillar, that's the official vehicle number. That number should also match or be very close to the "body number" on a metal tag near the heater box but that number was applied by the body builder, Briggs, so that the correct body and chassis would match up during assembly.

Posted on: 2018/11/7 8:54
 Top  Print   

Just popping in
Just popping in

jspytek
See User information
Yeah.... my problem is

Titled: New Jersey
Last License Plate: Missouri
Owner Died in: Pennsylvania
I Live in: Illinois

There's no way this is going to go smoothly (LOL)

But that's good, I think I'll drop in at my local DVM and as suggested not leave without the title or acceptable paperwork saying it was approved.

Posted on: 2018/11/7 9:20
 Top  Print   

Just popping in
Just popping in

jspytek
See User information
Both the door jam and the embossed print inside the engine area are the same.

The car seems to me to be all original but when all the numbers didn't match I panicked. (First time buying an older car).

Posted on: 2018/11/7 9:22
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Fish'n Jim
See User information
Don't worry about the mileage at all. Most don't require mileage or titles on pre- '64 or mileage now >10 years.
You can always apply for a new title and most states only require a police or DMV inspection. A few states are sticklers, but I doubt you'll have much issue, if you have a clean bill of sale. Each state will have a different number protocol. It's not been federalized to that extent.
Where I live, I had to trailer the car over for the number inspection. Where I used to live the cops came to my house, so call your DMV/visit website first. They'll tell you your options.

Posted on: 2018/11/7 17:03
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
G'day jspytek,
to PackardInfo, and I invite you to include your '52 Packard 200 Deluxe Touring Sedan in the Packard Owner's Registry.

Posted on: 2018/11/7 17:19
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Ernie Vitucci
See User information
Good afternoon...Some states like Arizona have private companies that will/are allowed to handle registration for an extra fee. They don't receive any payment from you unless they can obtain a valid registration for you. If your state allows this service, they are usually more interested in helping you than the state run 'Department of Motor Vehicles'...Ernie in Arizona

Posted on: 2018/11/7 18:46
Caretaker of the 1949-288 Deluxe Touring Sedan
'Miss Prudence' and the 1931 Model A Ford Tudor 'Miss Princess'
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved