Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
185 user(s) are online (97 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 185

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 »

Butterfly Hood Support
Home away from home
Home away from home

Bob J
See User information
I know there have been a number of solutions and products listed to aid in not being guillotined by the side hoods when working under these butterfly hoods, but I thought I would wade in with my take on an inexpensive solution whose germ of the idea appeared in the Volume 11 Service Letter #4. I am very pleased with the results. The attached PDF tries to explain it.
Have fun!
Bob J.

Attach file:

pdf 1937 Packard Hood Support.pdf Size: 498.71 KB; Hits: 237

Posted on: 2023/8/7 10:59
 Top  Print   

Re: Butterfly Hood Support
Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
Looks good Bob!

I still wonder why they did have anything from the factory in '37 to support the hood?

As you know, I just bought the brackets that PAC SD Region sells. I painted them black and added a little bit of rubber to protect the "paint".

Posted on: 2023/8/7 11:15
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Bob J
See User information
I have no idea Kev, especially when the support rods are right there too. It's not like they can't take the load. Just where were you supposed to put the hoods when working on the engine? Heck, just checking the oil you need something like this if you don't want to harm the paint or over work the centre hinge.
Bob J.

Posted on: 2023/8/7 11:50
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Don B
See User information
Bob J. - This is brilliant! Thanks for sharing this. I wasn’t aware of the service bulletin and love the detail of the pdf you shared.

I’m just looking at getting started on my ‘37 138CD and this will be a huge help since I’m very strapped for space.

Posted on: 2023/8/7 13:32
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
Also, others have just cut a little 2" piece of 3/4" C-Channel and welded that to the inside of the radiator support rods. That makes a "hook" for the hood corner to set in.

Here is the one I am using, which is available from the PAC San Deigo region.

So that gives three different options for 37 hood holding.

Attach file:

jpg  20230426_160336.jpg (165.25 KB)
1_64d13f8a1f88d.jpg 1600X720 px

Posted on: 2023/8/7 14:02
-BigKev

Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
You can get a hood support from the hot rod supply stores (Speedway, etc.) It fastens to the radiator support rods and has a folding shaped rod on which to rest the hood side panel. When done fold up the rod and close the hood. Simple, effective and not expensive. I have on on my 32 Ford 3-window coupe hot rod.

Posted on: 2023/8/7 14:14
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Don B
See User information
BigKev - Yeah, I’ve seen those, but I really like the idea of not having to weld something to the car. The other options I can do myself pretty easily.

JWL - thanks, I hadn’t seen those before and just looked them up…another good option.

Posted on: 2023/8/7 14:46
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Cli55er
See User information
Piece of 1x4 across the back bars against the firewall is very cheap and works fine.

Posted on: 2023/8/7 21:09
1937 Packard 138-CD Deluxe Touring Limousine
Maroon/Black 1090-1021
[url=https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/registry/View.php?ID=232]1955 Packard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
Quote:

Don B wrote:
BigKev - Yeah, I’ve seen those, but I really like the idea of not having to weld something to the car. The other options I can do myself pretty easily.

JWL - thanks, I hadn’t seen those before and just looked them up…another good option.

Don B, I had something similar to Kev's supports on my 115C, but mine were fastened to the cowl wall with machine screws. I think sheet metal screws would have worked just as good, and better than welding. Of course, Kev got the car with them already attached. I imagine if left up to him, he would have devised something elegant.

Posted on: 2023/8/8 9:55
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
Actually, I installed those brackets, it's covered in my Project blog. They are the ones sold by PAC SD and they are attached with machine screws. The brackets came in stainless, but I painted them black to make them blend in a little better.

Posted on: 2023/8/8 10:05
-BigKev

Top  Print   

(1) 2 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved