Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
125 user(s) are online (104 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 123

Gar, Alvin14, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

49 Custom Eight Convertable Hydraulic System
Just popping in
Just popping in

keithautoworks
See User information
I work for a body shop/repair facility and have recently taken on the job of partially restoring a 49 custom eight convertable. The job was started by someone else, and is disassembled, all except the motor and trans, which are completed and installed on the frame. The body is nearly ready for paint, and I need information on locations and mountings of items in the engine compartment, especially the hydraulic pump for the top/windows/seat system. I also need a COMPLETE diagram of reassemly of the pump, as it is completely (and I mean completely) disassembled! Anyone have underhood photos of a convertable from this time era? Any help is greatly appreciated, as I have no Packard experience! Thanks! Keith

Posted on: 2009/6/30 14:05
 Top  Print   

Re: 49 Custom Eight Convertable Hydraulic System
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
G'day Keith,
to PackardInfo. Have you checked the pic's in the "Packard Photo Archive" here under the Main Menu, for 48/49/50's convertibles? Could be some there. Or PM the owners of similar cars in the "Owner Registry"? Although I'm hopeful a convertible owner will see your query here and respond directly. And finally, could you mention PackardInfo to the '49's owner and ask him to include it in the Owner Registry together with a pic, any known history and how it was acquired?

Posted on: 2009/6/30 15:34
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

David Baird
See User information
These two pics may help. However, depending on if the car has an under seat heater or not. If it does have, the pump will be mounted on the passenger side of the firewall.

Attach file:

jpg  (46.06 KB)
462_4a4ad713a9ec5.jpg 700X467 px

jpg  (47.56 KB)
462_4a4ad77203d38.jpg 467X700 px

Posted on: 2009/6/30 22:26
North Hills Packards
2 - 1949 Super Convertibles
1949 Club Sedan
1947 Custom Sedan
Completed a book on the 22nd & 23rd series cars
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
I haven't seen detail info re the pump construction from Packard & doubt there is any. There are a few general pages in early 50's Motors manuals showing a bit of the pump construction & rotors plus general pressure specs on the Dura pump Packard used. If you want them, PM me an email address, & will be glad to scan and send, but again not that much detail.

Posted on: 2009/6/30 22:48
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JD in KC
See User information
There is an exploded view of the pump in Section I of the 1946-1950 Service Manual (Page 12). I don't know if it's detailed enough to help you but it may be better than nothing.

Located here for download:

https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/article/view.article.php?300

Posted on: 2009/6/30 22:58
 Top  Print   

Just popping in
Just popping in

keithautoworks
See User information
Thank you for your excellent close up photos!! These were very helpful in determining the position of mounting brackets, etc. !!! I have looked at the pictures in the manual, but they do not show the location of the 'flower' shaped tension washer or the washer with the hole in the center that fit on the lower side of the hydraulic pump rotors. I'm not sure which direction or in what order to install these. Sincerely, Keith

Posted on: 2009/7/1 5:33
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved